Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion U21s v Wolves U21s - 7pm tonight at the Checkatrade.com Stadium

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Seen Harper play a few games....I wish he was so much better as he seems to have alot to live up to with 'Kid from Madrid' pressure but he's def not one for our 1st team.

Plenty of time for him yet! I don't think we were ever going to see him in the 1st team this season anyway.

Don't forget he has had a long injury layoff, and he is very much one for the future, not the present.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not seen any of the games but it's not that easy for a goalkeeper to shine if his defense aren't good enough.

But isnt that just the time for the keeper to shine, if the defence was excellent then he wouldnt have a shot to save ....................

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Plenty of time for him yet! I don't think we were ever going to see him in the 1st team this season anyway.

Don't forget he has had a long injury layoff, and he is very much one for the future, not the present.
I am more interested in seeing Hambo, he seems to be the invisible man,... the clips I saw told me he was very much an Ulloa type striker,.... its a real shame he is suffering from injuries,.... at least that is what they are saying.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I fear he will go the way of most of the so called wonder kids that arrive in our Dev squad never to be seen again. What happened to the icelandic kid?.... Hambo of course,.... plus there was a few home grown signings that came and just never appeared again.

Dare I ask the question.............. Is it time our dev squad/u18's had a more notable coaching team?.... spend big on someone with a track record of recruiting and training future stars.?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
But isnt that just the time for the keeper to shine, if the defence was excellent then he wouldnt have a shot to save ....................

Not necessarily, if attackers keep being given too much freedom to shoot then it doesn't matter how good you are you will concede goals.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I know it's a totally absurd comparison to make, but Molumby reminds me of a young Steven Gerrard. Thought he was excellent tonight, particularly first half.

I've seen Molumby a few times now and I agree - extremely promising. Tilley is very good and Dallison is clearly of the 'Brighton School' of central defenders - Dunkesque and I think has a future (although whether it will be with us who knows?).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dare I ask the question.............. Is it time our dev squad/u18's had a more notable coaching team?.... spend big on someone with a track record of recruiting and training future stars.?

Do we have a poor record in recruiting and training new players? I think that most players taken on by academies up and down the country fail to make the grade as professional players. We currently have four ex-academy players playing Championship football (if we include the injured March) and that's not counting Ince. Is that a terrible record?

have no idea BTW, I've never seen detailed statistics for clubs' academies but my gut feeling is that we're not particularly better or worse than other teams. Where we do fail is in finding strikers but I don't think our youth set-up, as a whole, is a poor one

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I've seen Molumby a few times now and I agree - extremely promising. Tilley is very good and Dallison is clearly of the 'Brighton School' of central defenders - Dunkesque and I think has a future (although whether it will be with us who knows?).

With Molumby he has the potential to be a cracking player by all intents and purposes he had been brought over to be part of the youth team bearing in mind his age. With regards to Dallison I'd like him to go out on loan to a league 2 club to get used to playing mens football in a full time environment.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Do we have a poor record in recruiting and training new players? I think that most players taken on by academies up and down the country fail to make the grade as professional players. We currently have four ex-academy players playing Championship football (if we include the injured March) and that's not counting Ince. Is that a terrible record?

have no idea BTW, I've never seen detailed statistics for clubs' academies but my gut feeling is that we're not particularly better or worse than other teams. Where we do fail is in finding strikers but I don't think our youth set-up, as a whole, is a poor one

I think some people saw the new training ground as being this magical place that was going to see average players being suddenly transformed overnight. Unfortunately that won't ever be the case. It will be the 10/11/12 year olds coming through now that will see the full benefit of our great facilities. Mark Anderson being in charge of youth recruitment is a very shrewd move as he has a proven track record of being able to identify talent from a young age.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

It's like the Bermuda Triangle,.... promising wonder kids come in, never to be seen again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's like the Bermuda Triangle,.... promising wonder kids come in, never to be seen again.

But that's not true is it? We do bring players through the youth system. What I don't know is whether we're better or worse than other clubs - my guess is that we're pretty average but I really have no idea how accurate that guess is

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
But that's not true is it? We do bring players through the youth system. What I don't know is whether we're better or worse than other clubs - my guess is that we're pretty average but I really have no idea how accurate that guess is
Oh its true,......

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not necessarily, if attackers keep being given too much freedom to shoot then it doesn't matter how good you are you will concede goals.

No that just isnt so, the better the goalkeeper the more shots he saves, many a goalkeeper has had a blinder, usually when inundated with shots on his goal.

Any coach worth their salt would factor in defending etc. in an overall team assessment, but quite clearly the ability and the performance on the goalkeeper would be how he coped with the saves/or not irrespective of the defenders own performance.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Oh its true,......

Despite your assertion, it isn't.
Tilley and Molumby are 17 and 16, respectively. You also mentioned Mar Larusson, who is 18.
Rea & Walton have been out on loan to the division below.
Jake's played 80 times for us. As has Rohan. Dunk's a future captain. Solly's a future England prospect.

You're wrong.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Despite your assertion, it isn't.
Tilley and Molumby are 17 and 16, respectively. You also mentioned Mar Larusson, who is 18.
Rea & Walton have been out on loan to the division below.
Jake's played 80 times for us. As has Rohan. Dunk's a future captain. Solly's a future England prospect.

You're wrong.

Not necessarily, you are just mentioning youngsters that you and others might feel have promise and included JFC, Dunk, Rohan !!! and Solly that have little to do with the current set up, be that Youth, DS or Academy managers and coaches.

But I have to agree with Heathgate, ultimately at some time it should be acknowledged that the 'magic bullet' is development and too many of the recent recruits to the U21's have been engineered by scouts and the recruitment department to reflect on the internationality of the training centre rather than spending the time and money on those youngsters that are already here, its vanity before substance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here