Albion Trio in PFA Team

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I honestly would. Last season apart from Lambert and Lallana he would have been my player of the season.

Last season (admittedly I only saw him when we played at your place and he looked exactly as I remember: defensively suspect and prone to being caught out of position), fair enough. What about this season?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All-in-all delighted to have three in and not at all surprised SCC have more. I bet Posh fans can't believe George Boyd idn't in there!

Boyd has had a fairly poor season by his standards. Was rubbish against us up there & got himself sent off. I've heard Posh fans suggesting he should have been sold or dropped.

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
Would be interesting to see how that team would get on in the Championship.

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
Now I wrote that before I saw the post from the SCC fan, but he seems to be making more or leas the same points.

More or less, I didn't say Harding is inferior to Brighton's left back though. I just feel that most teams on most forums would feel their player should have been selected over others etc.

Personally think Gary Jones is unlucky not to have been selected.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
at the start of the season (and most of the way through it) you would have said we are unlikely to get many if any players in this line-up. We are a great team but one without real stand-out stars (Bennett aside over the whole season maybe). I'm surprised Greer got in although I think he deserves it. Calderon too - while he has scored goals and has been on pretty much top form recently - had a bad run when he frankly wasn't all that. All-in-all delighted to have three in and not at all surprised SCC have more. I bet Posh fans can't believe George Boyd idn't in there!
We don't have stand out stars because all our players have been different class though! Murray for example who is somehow not in the team... if he'd played like he has for another club he'd have been their stand out - for us he is just one of many who have been incredibly good.

More or less, I didn't say Harding is inferior to Brighton's left back though. I just feel that most teams on most forums would feel their player should have been selected over others etc.
I think this is right.... but since we've won the league by miles when we say it it's more likely to be true! :)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well bearing in mind most saints fans I know don't think Davis should be picked currently I don't get how he is in the team of the season.

Obvious choice for me in goal would be Hudds keeper

f***ing joke of a selection again but cant say I'm that bothered because all that matters is we are the f***ing champions !!!!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I honestly would. Last season apart from Lambert and Lallana he would have been my player of the season.

Obviously I'm in no position to judge it on his past at us, and having only seen him play once this season.
Guess we'll have to leave it to Saturday to see if he really is anywhere near Painters capability..

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
Obviously I'm in no position to judge it on his past at us, and having only seen him play once this season.
Guess we'll have to leave it to Saturday to see if he really is anywhere near Painters capability..

Fingers crossed he is fit to play as he wasn't in the squad on saturday. We are dropping like flies at the moment.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Fingers crossed he is fit to play as he wasn't in the squad on saturday. We are dropping like flies at the moment.

The lack of depth in your squad astounds me considering the amount of money Adkins and Pardew had at their disposal. Without Lallana you seem like an average L1 side, which we all know you aren't. I seem to remember some statistic earlier in the season about you winning one game in 15 or so without Lallana? I may be mistaken..
For instance, if we lost Bridcutt, arguably our player of the season, to injury, we have Navarro and Kishishev to back him up- two players that have more than proven that they can hack it at this level.
This, along with the fact we play as a team and Southampton seem to want to play as individuals, is why you are 16 points behind us.

On the FL show Saturday some Saints fan texted in saying "Adkins should be knighted"..
I think he should be persecuted, because with the squad and the money you have, not getting automatics would be a f***ing disaster.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
the pfa awards are all about players with reputations and hype.

bale won the prem one ffs. he had 3 good games. vidic has been immense all season long. these awards a joke. the pfa are a joke. clark carlisle you silly lib dem muggins sort it out

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
The lack of depth in your squad astounds me considering the amount of money Adkins and Pardew had at their disposal. Without Lallana you seem like an average L1 side, which we all know you aren't. I seem to remember some statistic earlier in the season about you winning one game in 15 or so without Lallana? I may be mistaken..
For instance, if we lost Bridcutt, arguably our player of the season, to injury, we have Navarro and Kishishev to back him up- two players that have more than proven that they can hack it at this level.
This, along with the fact we play as a team and Southampton seem to want to play as individuals, is why you are 16 points behind us.

On the FL show Saturday some Saints fan texted in saying "Adkins should be knighted"..
I think he should be persecuted, because with the squad and the money you have, not getting automatics would be a f***ing disaster.

I dont think that is too accurate a statement regarding depth, we have probably two players for every position. Agree without Lallana and Chambo on the flanks we lack creativity going forward. Schneiderlin being injured for the last 10 games impacts that too.

Southampton don't play like individuals. Perhaps Guly when he first joined but his work rate defensively (if not his positional sense) has much improved.

The guy texting in on FL Show for NA to be knighted is a tool (as was the guy reading the emails, where has 'Lizzie on the emails' gone?)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I dont think that is too accurate a statement regarding depth, we have probably two players for every position. Agree without Lallana and Chambo on the flanks we lack creativity going forward. Schneiderlin being injured for the last 10 games impacts that too.

Southampton don't play like individuals. Perhaps Guly when he first joined but his work rate defensively (if not his positional sense) has much improved.

The guy texting in on FL Show for NA to be knighted is a tool (as was the guy reading the emails, where has 'Lizzie on the emails' gone?)

Lizzie is about to drop I believe. The chap this week was weird but not as weird as the woman last week who appeared to be Manish in a wig. (Thay were never on screen together)

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I'm sorry but we WALK the league and get 3 players in the team. Saints are 16 (sixteen) points behind us and get FIVE players in the team?!

We should have SIX in there. Bennett, Bridders, Painter, Greer, Calde and Murray shoud all be in there.

The conspiracy theories continue!

Why is it nobody is giving us the respect and credit we are due? How on earth can you lead the league since September, romp to promotion and then the Championship, have at least a thirteen point lead on those scrapping for second place, and still only have THREE out of eleven players in the PFA team?

One could also make a case for Huddersfield being somewhat under represented.

What we are all saying is how can SCC be so far behind for so long, and yet have FIVE players in the team?

Still what is more important to the players, being in the nothing PFA team, or receiving a CHAMPIONSHIP MEDAL????

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Just had this thrown at me in the most nonsensical argument I have ever had.

Southampton supporter:
"You have had a good run and probably deserved the title"

Me:
"A good run? You mean we are the best team in the league?"

SS:
"Hardly, seen the PFA Team of the Season?"

Me:
"Bullshit, Harding is shit compared to Painter for one, with Painter playing every game consistently well all season, Bridcutt/Nooney/Dicker deserve to be in there ahead of Oxlade-Chamberlain who has played about half as many games and not achieved nearly as much."

SS:
"Biased, blue-tinted-goggles,"

Me:
"Are you honestly saying you are the best team in the league? Despite being 16 points behind us?"

SS:
"Well currently this season is 0-0 and if you win on Saturday I will admit you are the best team"

Me:
"In a game we have little to play for compared to you, as we have already won the league having been the best team in the league"

SS:
"Good run, most consistent"

What the feck? It astounds me, and this team astounds me...Painter is the best left back, Oxlade-Chamberlain is well known and young, but didn't exactl do as much as Noone for both Plymouth and Brighton, or Gary Jones of Rochdale. Wright-Phillips meh, Murray and Hoskins arguably more deserved. CMS rightfully there, Lallana rightfully there, Davis maybe, fonte yep, but Hudders are not accurately represented

garethlewes

Nov 9, 2010
I like how people are getting angry at the 'omission' of some Albion players as though the PFA is like 5 people deciding on a team, god sake people, the PFA stands for Professional Footballers Association. Each player in L1 got a vote and clearly each players only plays the teams twice a season so maybe they found some of the Southampton players trickier to play against as individuals as if you look at the albion team its more about the whole team chipping in thats why the unbeaten runs is so long, where as Soton have lost more games so clearly only a few of their players have been playing well for them to be in the position they are in, you could look at the championship and QPR they have 2 players in the Team of the year, its not like it matters. FFS would you rather have 5 players in the Team of the year then be champions you always have to find something to moan about go away.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I think that if the Albion and Southampton squads were both put up for sale, Southampton may well raise more money. We, however, have a well balanced team playing an effective system. I think a very big part of our success this season is the exceptional coaching and management skills of our management team, and the fact that Mr Adkins is not as good as he thinks he is.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I like how people are getting angry at the 'omission' of some Albion players as though the PFA is like 5 people deciding on a team, god sake people, the PFA stands for Professional Footballers Association. Each player in L1 got a vote [IN JANUARY] and clearly each players only plays the teams twice a season so maybe they found some of the Southampton players trickier to play against as individuals [IN JANUARY] as if you look at the albion team its more about the whole team chipping in thats why the unbeaten runs is so long, where as Soton have lost more games so clearly only a few of their players have been playing well for them to be in the position they are in, you could look at the championship and QPR they have 2 players in the Team of the year, its not like it matters. FFS would you rather have 5 players in the Team of the year then be champions [aren't we allowed both?] you always have to find something to moan about go away.

Three is pretty respectable - what seems to have got people's goat is the fact that Soutyhampton have half the team. However, when you remember the voting was done in Jan/Feb, it's easier to understand since the gap wasn't as big and some of their players really were having a good season up until that point (eg Harding and Oxo-Chamberpot).

Odd voting system gives odd results shock!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Ankergren was never going to win a spot, considering he manages to piss off all and sundry with his 'tactics'.

Hard to imagine that Harding has been better than Painter, considering Painter has been absolutely flawless.

Come the end of the season, Oxlaide-Chamberlain will have only made 22 starts and 4 sub appearances. How does the voting work?

Spot on all three points

Ankergren has won player of the month twice but is not popular with the voters - the players on the other teams.
At least Marcus knows we would far rather have him than Harding, who may be ok going forward, but cannot defend.
And Chamberlain is a flair player, liked to a big club, so regardless of actual contribution gets in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports