Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Albion Sign Dutch international’ email (womens)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I clicked on it only to see that they were talking about a lady. Disappointment. They had better get their 'proper' signings right, there is no CH to blame this coming season.

I'm starting to realise a lot of you are actually serious about this.

:lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps rather than trying to say if you watch men's football you must like this which is annoying and constantly comparing it to the men's game they should concentrate on marketing it for what it is, a new developing sport which is different to the men's game and build the audience base from there.

They are trying to market it. That's why they're sending the emails out :facepalm:

If you want clickbait, look at Leeds telling their fans just before 11pm on deadline day one year "Don't to go to bed just yet... there is still work to be done", before announcing a short while later that Matt Smith and Dominic Poleon had been sold, then signing off for the night with no new signings :lol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If they were that committed to women’s football they wouldn’t ask fans to go to Crawley for home games. Whilst the cost of the season tickets seems a bargain, Crawley is half a day out. If the games were more local me and the other half would probably take them up.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If they were that committed to women’s football they wouldn’t ask fans to go to Crawley for home games. Whilst the cost of the season tickets seems a bargain, Crawley is half a day out. If the games were more local me and the other half would probably take them up.

This.

I have always followed women's football but to consign the team to bloody Crawley isn't the way for the club to engender interest in the womens team. If they played home games at Lancing I would go. If they played at the Amex I would go to most matches, but I'm not dragging up to Crawley on a Sunday to watch them play. That's almost an away game.

If the club is treating both mens and womens team the same (inclusivity and diversity) then they should have the same opportunity to play locally where it is most convenient for the majority of supporters.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So you WEREN'T absolutely sheebo'ed then?

No Sir - I’m a fairly occasional drinker hence when I go for it I don’t hold back!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Quite.

I've no particular interest in the international achievements of the Albion Powerchair players, or wear-blue-and-white-to-work day, or the next working breakfast at the Amex, but I just delete the emails/ ignore the tweets and get on with things rather than suggesting the Albion are somehow trying to impose their evil will on me.

Weird how it's just the email about the women's football team that's causing upset.

That’s a very poor suggestion. I’m more than happy to receive emails on anything and often read the women’s ones - it was all about the choice of subject line. If it had been any other team associated with BHA - including the u23s who’s signed a Dutch u23 international I’d have had exactly the same reaction.

I did also attend the England women game at the Amex recently and wrote a very positive comment (where others weren’t so positive) on the match thread and experience - so don’t think I can personally be called sexist. Because I’m not.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wouldn't open an amex breakfast email.
I would open Albion sign... or Man City tickets now on sale emails though.
The club are using clickbait.

Bang on - woeful comparison from Edna there who is usually pretty good at speaking the truth / getting the point.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:lol:

Actually you started it with your original post, and I responded with my thoughts on it. That’s how message boards work. You then responded like a child, and have done again. Let it go

:lol: like a child? You and your crew on here do like to take the holier than thou patronising tone on almost anything don’t you - it’s very cringe. I was merely pointing out it was mildly irritating and a bit cheeky - that’s how message boards work.

How about you let it go?

Stumpy Tim

:lol: like a child? You and your crew on here do like to take the holier than thou patronising tone on almost anything don’t you - it’s very cringe. I was merely pointing out it was mildly irritating and a bit cheeky - that’s how message boards work.

How about you let it go?

My crew? WTF are you talking about now?!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That’s a very poor suggestion. I’m more than happy to receive emails on anything and often read the women’s ones - it was all about the choice of subject line. If it had been any other team associated with BHA - including the u23s who’s signed a Dutch u23 international I’d have had exactly the same reaction.

I did also attend the England women game at the Amex recently and wrote a very positive comment (where others weren’t so positive) on the match thread and experience - so don’t think I can personally be called sexist. Because I’m not.

Of course the subject line was 100% accurate, and the signing was made to the most successful albion team of all time. The only way for this complaint not to be sexist is to request emails about signings to the Mens team prefixed that way to be clear which team is being referred to.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just eventually seen the email and the subject line was indeed devious clickbait.

Come on albion, don't play these silly games.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course the subject line was 100% accurate, and the signing was made to the most successful albion team of all time. The only way for this complaint not to be sexist is to request emails about signings to the Mens team prefixed that way to be clear which team is being referred to.

No, because the men’s team has been going a lot longer and is clearly the most important team to 99.9% of fans. The women’s team is fantastic, but is new ish and is nowhere near as big as the men’s team - see attendances of matches. It’s not right to play the sexist card here whatsoever so pls don’t even try. It’s pedantic and done on technicalities to be honest. Yes the subject line was 100% accurate, no the women’s team isn’t the most successful of all time also - although that could be down to opinion. It’s a misleading subject quite clearly - to argue otherwise is baffling...

We is it people are so quick to play the sexist / racist / PC Card so regularly when opinions / facts are offered to do with any of the above. It’s mind-numbing having to argue you’re not x,y or z when you clearly aren’t just because of this new ultra PC picking...

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
It's clickbait-esque from both the club and the media. I totally get they want to push the womens game, there's room for growth in popularity etc etc etc but is tricking people into opening articles and reading the best way to do it?

Imagine we were like some of the top Spanish clubs that also have basketball teams (male and female), rugby teams, handball teams etc all under the Real Madrid/Barcelona banner, yet you kept getting emails like Brazilian Striker Signs, then after opening you see it's for the futsal team. It would get tiring very quickly and I think the clubs and certain media outlets are risking the same.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No, because the men’s team has been going a lot longer and is clearly the most important team to 99.9% of fans. The women’s team is fantastic, but is new ish and is nowhere near as big as the men’s team - see attendances of matches. It’s not right to play the sexist card here whatsoever so pls don’t even try. It’s pedantic and done on technicalities to be honest. Yes the subject line was 100% accurate, no the women’s team isn’t the most successful of all time also - although that could be down to opinion. It’s a misleading subject quite clearly - to argue otherwise is baffling...

We is it people are so quick to play the sexist / racist / PC Card so regularly when opinions / facts are offered to do with any of the above. It’s mind-numbing having to argue you’re not x,y or z when you clearly aren’t just because of this new ultra PC picking...

Look at it from another angle though. There's absolutely no logical reason for these teams not to be equal - the only reason the men's team has been going longer and is more important to most fans is because of historical sexism - and pretty extreme sexism at that. Your original post was fairly harmless but was then backed up by lots of others. Basically if you or others are saying that the women's game is not equal, and shouldn't be equal, then that's sexist. It's not a card to be played, it just is what it is.

Imagine how all this reads to the father of a very good 13 year old girl who wants to be a professional footballer and has a shot at doing that, and then to know that this bias and disdain exists, its not great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well if this is now the marketing strategy, I suppose it just means that whenever there's some BREAKING NEWS transmitted by the club, we'll just have to temper our excitement until we've had a chance to check whether they're actually referring to the mens or womens team.

A bit like next season with VAR, when we'll often need to wait a mo to find out whether the goal we've scored is actually going to be allowed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here