Albion Roar - Bob Booker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I could not find any original thread - but this weeks podcast (and extra) is a quality listen. Bob Booker is an entertaining bloke and it gives an insight into what he did as assistant manager, and the Withdean years. I went up to Stansted yesterday and it was a perfect listen for the journey. Well done to all involved.

Also - an example of the highs and lows of football - listen to the first 20 minutes of the last two Standing on the Glebe (Posh) podcasts. Start with the Wolves one. They are classics.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was really good. I never really appreciated Bob Booker I think, just thought he was part of the old boys club, but the podcast changed my opinion of him, and never knew about his playing career and how well respected he is at Sheffield United ! Top man, hope he can get a coaching or assistant management role back in football eventually.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There was a thread, but it got largely ignored.

Bob was excellent value. We never did to the bottom of his own 'brown envelopes' story - perhaps next time. He sent a text to Ady later that he would have happily stayed all afternoon to chat. However, getting 100 minutes out of him was great. The problem was the present Mrs Booker had finished shopping and was giving him the Humphrey's hook.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just listened back again - there's loads you forget the moment you finish the show and leave the studio.

I'll re-double that point and say Bob was superb value. He's someone who clearly still loves the Albion despite constantly referring to a certain Italian restaurant in Church Road as 'Sackolino's' - a place where he says he got 'sacked' twice.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A great show, and the extra time was well worth it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just finished the main show now and moving on to 'extra time'.

A great listen indeed, and confirms the 'crazy gang' type vibe that existed in the Cullip/Oatway/Adams days.

Bob's affection for the Albion shines through, and Bob is clearly a great bloke.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Possibly my favourite edition of the Roar yet, certainly in my top five. It is a great listen, and I'm glad that Bob still has a connection to the Albion he is a top bloke.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I concur very interesting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports