Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Roar - 18/04/15 with guest Paul Barber

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ask him if the club plan on making any more catastrophic errors from which to learn about life in the Championship, or if we're done and know it all now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're fortunate at the Albion to be kitted out with all the latest football technology from in depth statistical analysis to undersoil heating at the training ground. Bournemouth have a clipboard and a portacabin. Rather than looking to invest in expensive footballers, would money be better spent on clipboards and portacabins.

:cool:

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ooh no actually I have a SENSIBLE one!

Seeing as next season's away shirt will likely be another teamwear shirt from Nike - Could he let us fans vote on which kit we want?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does every goal that Muzza, Barnsey and Leo score make you smile or sigh?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does every goal that Barnsey and Leo score make you smile or sigh?

PS: if Ulloa and Barnes score a few more before the end of the season and keep Leicester/Burnley up then thats a considerable extra in terms of their transfer fee clauses, negotiated by Barber, coming back to the club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In hindsight do you think complying with FFP in its original guise has been detrimental to the club considering QPR have used "creative accounting" to reduce losses by £60M by writing off loan debt in the hope of avoiding a massive FFP fine ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Do you enjoy reading NSC? And can we guess your account name.......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
PS: if Ulloa and Barnes score a few more before the end of the season and keep Leicester/Burnley up then thats a considerable extra in terms of their transfer fee clauses, negotiated by Barber, coming back to the club.

Excuse me if I am not as thrilled about that as you and PB might be. I'd have rather we had actually spent a bit more trying to keep "I don't feel wanted" Barnes here. I suggest it would have been money much better spent than any money that we are likely to get.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'll keep that in mind whilst I'm watching Leon Best doing his thang...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Excuse me if I am not as thrilled about that as you and PB might be. I'd have rather we had actually spent a bit more trying to keep "I don't feel wanted" Barnes here. I suggest it would have been money much better spent than any money that we are likely to get.

I'm not saying I'm "thrilled" about it. I'm not saying we should have sold them (some think we should have kept him, some think it was too late) and of course i've no idea if PB is "thrilled" or not but worth thinking about how they're doing and the facts re: their contracts. Also despite everything Ulloa is having a hard time anyway at Leicester. He's not always a first choice and hasn't scored in the league up there since Boxing Day
(and i know our strikers haven't scored since 1963 either )

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not saying I'm "thrilled" about it. I'm not saying we should have sold them (some think we should have kept him, some think it was too late) and of course i've no idea if PB is "thrilled" or not but worth thinking about how they're doing and the facts re: their contracts. Also despite everything Ulloa is having a hard time anyway at Leicester. He's not always a first choice and hasn't scored in the league up there since Boxing Day
(and i know our strikers haven't scored since 1963 either )

It is impossible to have a beef about the Ulloa sale, the money was so ridiculous but the very half arsed way we went about getting a forward line after his departure this season should be of concern. We brought in another CMS and a journeyman who would have been just fine as a squad player but not as Ulloa's replacement, which he turned out to be, I know PB is here to slash costs and make money and be a hatchet man but it would be good to see someone who is as good at their job as he is in charge of spending some of the money. Who is now in charge of player recruitment and what is their track record like in this division??

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does the club employ people to scribe pithy responses to pissed off punters on NSC?
...is a paid position, and can I join.

:)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is impossible to have a beef about the Ulloa sale, the money was so ridiculous but the very half arsed way we went about getting a forward line after his departure this season should be of concern. We brought in another CMS and a journeyman who would have been just fine as a squad player but not as Ulloa's replacement, which he turned out to be, I know PB is here to slash costs and make money and be a hatchet man but it would be good to see someone who is as good at their job as he is in charge of spending some of the money. Who is now in charge of player recruitment and what is their track record like in this division??

First up. Paul Barber does not pick and choose who we buy, both he and Tony employ people to do that. They have to trust those charged with bringing in the players to make the right decisions. As was the case this summer, those charged with that responsibility failed and paid with their jobs, pressure is now on the new lot.

What Barber has been able to do is to clear the financial decks so that we do indeed have more money than ever to spend on players, who sadly this season have not turned out to be worth it.

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding of Barber's role at the club on this thread, which I hope is addressed on the show this evening. If it was Barber picking and choosing who we sign then I would indeed be worried.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In relation to player signings, could PB explain the role of each of the management team (CH, PB, TB, Paul Burke's successor/replacement/ anyone else) in the process?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There seems to be a basic misunderstanding of Barber's role at the club on this thread, which I hope is addressed on the show this evening. If it was Barber picking and choosing who we sign then I would indeed be worried.

It's simple. Decide who you randomly hate the most TB/SH/Burke/Jones/PB /CH and then blame him for everything that goes wrong at the club (and possibly your life too), regardless or not of whether he was here when the decision was made.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
First up. Paul Barber does not pick and choose who we buy, both he and Tony employ people to do that. They have to trust those charged with bringing in the players to make the right decisions. As was the case this summer, those charged with that responsibility failed and paid with their jobs, pressure is now on the new lot.

What Barber has been able to do is to clear the financial decks so that we do indeed have more money than ever to spend on players, who sadly this season have not turned out to be worth it.

True. But it all happened on his watch and as CEO the buck stopped with him, which ended in them getting the sack rightly. So at best, as a paying customer, Im looking at the CEO to offer a full and frank apology for the absolute cluster**** of the summer and a guarantee it wont happen again.

That aside he WOULD have been in charge of the "we are keeping Sami mandate" and as a result this is probably the daftest decision since letting GM sign for that lot up the road for an extra 500 quid a week. So I MUST know. Why? Why did we keep him for so long unless they ABSOLUTELY KNEW 100% he would resign thus waiving compensation.

Sami to this day could (contractually) still be in charge waiting the sack, we all know we would be below Blackpool in the table if that was the case and planning L1 football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here