Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player's who never reached potential

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When I first saw Matt Wicks I thought he was premier league.
Still think he was generally excellent for us, at the start.
He was retired a year after leaving Albion. Age 25.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Jeff Minton. In poor times he glimmered bright but got tempted away by Nobby career petered out :(

I don't understand why people have such a poor memory of Jeff Minton. I know it's all relative, because no he wouldn't get near our team today, but where the club were at the time, and the standard we were playing, he was one of our better players. In that 2nd season at Gillingham when he linked up with Rod Thomas, they were untouchable. They were one of the highlights of playing there.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
He actually made his Football League debut in a play off semi final first leg.
Was recently playing for Salford.

Wasn't that the play off semi final where we were ruined by injury and Stephens was banned for the amputation he performed on Gastón Ramírez?

I actually saw him play in the FA Cup for us at Lincoln but for the life of me I have no idea why his contract was extended after reaching the Premier League having only played for the first team a handful of times in the 1.5 seasons with us up to that point, probably why I'm not in football management I guess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another vote for Jeff Minton. I saw most of the 'home' games at pissfilled and he was in a class of his own. I just looked him up and was surprised the played 174 games for us, starting in 94. I don't remember him from the Goldstone era (albeit I was a rare attendee back then). He followed Nobby to Port Vale and appears to have joined him in the downward spiral to football oblivion, effetively finished at age only 28. Weird.

Last edited:

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I don't understand why people have such a poor memory of Jeff Minton. I know it's all relative, because no he wouldn't get near our team today, but where the club were at the time, and the standard we were playing, he was one of our better players. In that 2nd season at Gillingham when he linked up with Rod Thomas, they were untouchable. They were one of the highlights of playing there.

I agree, thought he was excellent for us

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Michael Poke - I think only played a few games but was the best keeper at training at the club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maheta Molango, surely. He joined us, scored a goal in 12 seconds in his first ever match for us, played 5 more games (without scoring) and was never heard of at The Albion again.

Actually, I wouldn't have minded a football career like that!

Calling [MENTION=8158]Molango's visa[/MENTION]

As others have mentioned, he got his law degree and went on to bigger football-related things.

I was at his goalscoring game, at either Reading or Massive (forget which); sadly it wasn't a winning goal. On the back of it I bought a pal of mine a Molango branded home shirt which he wore at Watford away when he visited. Not sure Molango was even in the squad by then :facepalm:

Edit, just looked him up. It was Reading and we lost 3-2.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Played 90% of his career in the championship at clubs all bigger than the Albion at the time. He did alright id say.

But wasn’t his potential premier league ? Didn’t Newcastle want to sign him when he was only in our youth team? And I don’t really think Forest, Huddersfield, QPR or Sunderland were at a higher level then us at the time

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Couldn't agree more. We were a terrible team at that point, filled with cast offs and cloggers but I always thought he was a decent footballer.

In terms of not reaching their potential: Joe Gatting (although maybe I'm confusing hype with potential). Scored bags and bags in the reserves but then never quite made that step into regular football. It didn't help that he got promoted into a team that was on the verge of Championship relegation, but even so, he never looked like scoring a goal.

He's a good indicator for someone like Connelly to to look at if he starts to get complacent. Very similar in a lot of ways (but obviously Connelly is a step or two above).

I'd also add Liam Bridcutt. GIven that when he left us at 23/24, I genuinely thought he'd go on to build a serious top flight career, but instead he ended up being an average midfielder at middling Championship clubs. His career is by no means a failure, but I thought he'd go on to better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here