Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion players - trademark moves

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Obviously ongoing is Pascal Groß's famous slow-mo Cruyff turn, which as we all know is absolutely majestic.

It got me thinking of other Albion players over the years who had their own gimmick...

Off the top of my head, there was Nathan Jones' hilarious "Rhonda shuffle" at Withdean, which was a lot funnier than it was effective. Great times copying that on the school field! (Does anyone have a clip of this? Nothing on YouTube)

A little left-field this one, but Daniel Webb (good grief we've come a long way) had a penchant for barging into goalkeepers for no reason. That and lots of flailing elbows - he was the equivalent of a hockey goon.

Adam El-Abd with the classic wind up the opposition striker while awaiting a set piece, push them, or stand on their foot, then wait for the inevitable reaction and fall down clutching your face. He was a master of shithousery

Mark Walton with his comically loud voice and unbelievably strong Welsh accent bellowing out "KEEPAAAAAH", "TIIIIIME, TIIIIIME" or "AWAY! AWAY". What was so great about this was he always did the wrong shout for the situation. Striker bearing down on the last man? "TIIIIME!".

THE Paul Watson/Bobby Zamora freekick routine which practically got us promoted single-handedly.

Am I missing any?

Pretty sure he would’ve learnt all that from the master, Danny Cullip!!!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Glen Murray scoring with his c0ck.

Calderón scoring with his face.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Mentioned already for his two footed sliding tackle but I’ll always remember Denny Mundee for his trademark shuffle. Even less of a trick than Nathan Jones’s yet infinitely more effective. Much needed as he had all the pace of a Garth Crooks interview.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The ultra calm Lewis Dunk chest back to the keeper.

The Matty Ryan sprint the length of the pitch for a goal celebration bundle.

The big Shane Duffy header into Row Z (at either end).

The Adam Webster 'let's just see how far I can go upfield with the ball before anyone realises what's going on'.

The Jurgen 'I'm not much good at heading' Locadia non-header

The reducer: commonly used by Jimmy Case, Tony Grealish, Paul Clark, Oatway, Carpenter, and Dale Stephens.

And for the oldies, that signature Peter Ward move where he'd receive the ball with his back to goal and a defender right behind him, and flick it one side or the other to ghost past him and score.

Oh, and the Frank Worthington flick it over your head/shoulder, turn and volley it routine.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
For the oldies here, Dave Armstrong's patented boot it as far as you can down the right wing and hare after it at lightning pace until you catch it up, fail to execute the attempted cross and run over the goalline into the advertising hoardings.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Darren Currie hitting the exact same mm of space from every corner.
Bruno kicking a ball down the line and making it curve so it stays PERFECTLY in play
Lua Lua stepover onto left foot thunderbastard
Nathan Jones olé
Andrew Whing just getting booked
Danny Cullip screaming "DANNYS UP" then flattening an unsuspecting striker on the halfway line
The bloke who was supposed to start the clock at Withdean never starting the clock

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ashley Barnes' signature move was dropping to his knees, if slightly touched on the back when shielding the ball, to win a foul.
Bruno's signature move was bringing even the most awkward of passes to him, under perfect control with one touch.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Danny Cullip - backwards header to the keeper. Which Dunky also pulls off very well.

The way Cullip won every header without actually jumping. Wait for the ball to drop, little nudge in the striker’s back, head the ball.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Darren Currie step over which, for a guy with absolutely no pace, was amazingly good at dribbling past defenders.

There was also a really quick little striker we had on loan from Charlton while at Withdean. He NEVER jumped for a header, which used to wind me up no end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here