Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion players surname meanings

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am setting another task for [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] since his ''due diligence'' to my question on the Crisps Thread was First Class - Even although I did only want the Readers Digest Version of a response to that question his research that he uncovered was very interesting.

So my question is

When did people begin having ''Surnames'' or ''Second Names'' ?

I am presuming as populations grew and people started to live longer and there were more that two Generations surviving in any given family at any one time ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am setting another task for [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] since his ''due diligence'' to my question on the Crisps Thread was First Class - Even although I did only want the Readers Digest Version of a response to that question his research that he uncovered was very interesting.

So my question is

I am presuming as populations grew and people started to live longer and there were more that two Generations surviving in any given family at any one time ?

Well it depends on where you are in the world. In China where they had a more centralised rule at a early stage some emperor thousands of years ago ordered everyone to have surnames for census reasons. In Europe it became a thing in the Roman Empire for similar reasons and then spread across the continent with most joining in like 600 or 700 years ago (lots of examples before that though). In countries where people did not find this a cool funky thang it was introduced more or less by force as states became modernised since its difficult to administrate taxes and other bollocks if its impossible to identify individuals.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well it depends on where you are in the world. In China where they had a more centralised rule at a early stage some emperor thousands of years ago ordered everyone to have surnames for census reasons. In Europe it became a thing in the Roman Empire for similar reasons and then spread across the continent with most joining in like 600 or 700 years ago (lots of examples before that though). In countries where people did not find this a cool funky thang it was introduced more or less by force as states became modernised since its difficult to administrate taxes and other bollocks if its impossible to identify individuals.

That's what I like - The Readers Digest Version - Excellent

Although I thought that The second names were initially the profession of the individuals - I am enlightened

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

So my question is

What's the system in Sweden Swanny. Is it like Iceland where the second name changes every generation. That is - Simon Johnson's son is called Dennis Simonson, and his son is called Lars Dennison - and so on?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What's the system in Sweden Swanny. Is it like Iceland where the second name changes every generation. That is - Simon Johnson's son is called Dennis Simonson, and his son is called Lars Dennison - and so on?

Nope, I think that is 100% unique for Iceland.

The average "Svensson" in Sweden got their names based on some random dude named Sven several hundred years ago. I think we had the "Iceland system" until the 1600s or something.

In Sweden and also in the rest of Scandinavia (I think), profession surnames are uncommon. We have ornamental surnames instead, kind of like most Jewish surnames (like Rosenberg - rose mountain). In my case my surname is Berglind, meaning mountain pry. Another example is Victor Lindelöf (pry leaf).

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

So my question is

Did you mean the Readers Wives version ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We went on that tour the evening before 9-11 for a friends birthday, then went up on the Eye in the dark, watching the planes flying overhead and down into LHR. One of our groups husband worked in ATC, and said their biggest worry was a plane coming down on a city. 24 hours later, blimey.

Ask him if has any idea about tomorrow's Lottery Numbers ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Florin Andone, I believe translates as 3 shillings, Florin = 2 shillings and-one makes 3

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here