Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion players sent off whilst on international duty

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
With our red-haired Argentinian managing to get himself sent off on Monday, even before he had set foot in England let alone pulled on an Albion shirt, it set me wondering which other Albion players had been sent off whilst representing their country. I had completely forgotten that a former Argentinian Seagull was also sent off in the very same competition four years ago! And also before ever pulling on an Albion shirt.

Going back through my notes I have found the following instances of Albion players getting their marching orders. I only have detailed records going back to about 2010 so I don't claim it to be an exhaustive list. Gyokeres is the only other player to be shown a straight red (for elbowing an opponent, and whilst he was captain too). Byrne came on with only 13 minutes remaining but that was more than enough time to get an early bath; Baluta managed two yellows in ten minutes and Connolly was booked in consecutive minutes.

Have we ever had a player sent off in a senior international match?

SO.jpg

You'd think Big Shane would be nailed on for that honour, but he got sent off for hacking Griezmann in Euro 2016 a mere two months before he joined us

Our recruitment team actually reads Paddy Power tweets

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here