Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion NOT wanted by SKY

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Poyet had a cult of personality and would have been well known by many of the Premier League fans tuning in. That, combined with the 'new Stadium' angle made us quite attractive to Sky.

The "Brighton nil" football that's followed hasn't helped out cause.

A shame.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Just as a matter on interest, how do they/Sky know? Is there a more scientific means of collecting this data nowadays or is it still just a sample of people at home logging what they watch?

I worked for a bit at $ky last year and can tell you the amount of data they horde about their customers is scary. They track meta data for all customers logging TV viewing habits, channels watched, websites visited etc and use this for all sorts of things like planning sports coverage and advertising.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
We haven't got a media story anymore.

It's Barbers job fix that!

Or is our story that we'll run FFP club, with that youth development squad?

Not sure that story is suitably strong enough for TV nor 24k season tkt holders?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I worked for a bit at $ky last year and can tell you the amount of data they horde about their customers is scary. They track meta data for all customers logging TV viewing habits, channels watched, websites visited etc and use this for all sorts of things like planning sports coverage and advertising.

For everyone or just for those in a sample? Does the dish tell them which channel someone is logged into or does the box have to plugged into the Internet as well? (I have never plugged mine in). My reason for asking is that I am re-reading Soccernomics again and someone did a study of viewing habits and found that approx 25% of sport programs on TV are watched by no-one!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dull, uninspiring football. Sky arent ****ing stupid. Yes Leeds still command an audience thanks to their glory days but an attritional 1-0 seagull defeat (to which Hughton will be delighted) compared to say Derbys fast attacking rip roaring football (or last seasons free scoring Bmuff and Watford) who are you going to pick?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dull, uninspiring football. Sky arent ****ing stupid. Yes Leeds still command an audience thanks to their glory days but an attritional 1-0 seagull defeat (to which Hughton will be delighted) compared to say Derbys fast attacking rip roaring football (or last seasons free scoring Bmuff and Watford) who are you going to pick?

The funny thing is, that we took 6 points off of Leeds last season.

I would rather we kept off the box, as we don't seem to do well when we're on it.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
For everyone or just for those in a sample? Does the dish tell them which channel someone is logged into or does the box have to plugged into the Internet as well? (I have never plugged mine in). My reason for asking is that I am re-reading Soccernomics again and someone did a study of viewing habits and found that approx 25% of sport programs on TV are watched by no-one!

If you've got your box plugged into the wall then its talking back to Sky, telling them your viewing habits. They don't log it at an individual level but gather the data by postcode which they'll use for example to decide which posters you'll see at bus stops and bill boards. They also sell some of this data onto third parties who will use it for their own advertising campaigns which is called Sky IQ

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Just as a matter on interest, how do they/Sky know? Is there a more scientific means of collecting this data nowadays or is it still just a sample of people at home logging what they watch?

Sorry missed this. Sky have very advanced measurement systems through their boxes and can track really accurate numbers now.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Great call.
Why would they want two 1st v 2nd battles in the space of a fortnight?
Far better to show Leeds on a continuous loop.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Despite having the best stadium in the championship,top 3 for best supported,and Brighton being a prominent town,a very popular destination for holidaymakers,day trippers.always featured in the papers on a hot day,I've always thought how invisible Brighton are to the media.Rarely do I hear them get mentioned on Talk Sport etc.

I assume much of this is to do with history and teams like Leeds,Derby,Bolton etc have more of it.
If you set aside london clubs there is also a bias towards northern clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here