Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion nostalgia: The night two Seagulls skippers closed a chapter - after coming off the

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Two former Albion skippers scored their final goals for the club – in the space of two minutes against a would-be Premier League and international goalkeeper.
And Glenn Murray netted at home for the first time for more than a year as Albion beat Brentford 3-0 at Withdean in March 2010.
The club were still in their relatively early days of adjusting to the cultural change brought by the introduction of Gus Poyet as boss.
Adam Virgo*and Nicky Forster had been relegated from lead roles to the bench as Poyet made his mark but they both went on and added to Murray’s first-half header with injury time goals.
Virgo, on his 200th league appearance, saw his header get past Wojciech Szczesny in the Bees goal.
And Forster added a penalty after Alan Bennett had been dismissed for handball.
They were Albion goals No.51 and No.17 for Forster and Virgo respectively and neither went on to net again for the club.

Even by the time of this League One success, they were playing cameo roles while central billing went to players such as Alan Navarro and skipper Andrew Crofts in midfield, Tommy Elphick at the back and recently-arrived goalkeeper Peter Brezovan.But Poyet praised his subs after this win as the club climbed steadily away from the League One relegation zone.
5468869.jpg

The Albion boss said: “The three of them really helped us out.
“I need to be fair with the players. I know how hard it was for players at the club to see, week in week out, me putting out the same team.
“We were playing well and you want that consistency but you also need to keep convincing the subs how important they are. They proved it.
“I put Virgs on to hold the result and he goes and scores the second goal. Maybe if Chris Holroyd doesn’t get injured, Nicky doesn’t come on – but he comes on and gets the penalty!”
5468872.jpg

Glenn Murray breaks his Withdean goal drought
Poyet’s side were just starting to play the football which would see them power to the League One title the following season, a campaign which included a win away to a Brentford team managed by Forster.
Poyet added: “Sometimes you want the three points and you say it doesn’t matter how. I prefer this way – the team playing and believing in the best way for us to win games.”
Albion: Brezovan; Calderon, Elphickl, El-Abd, Painter; Navarro (Virgo 89), Crofts, Dicker; Bennett, LuaLua (Holroyd 20, Forster 83), Murray.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here