Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion nearly men

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Got to know Giles when he was with us. Really nice guy. He got an injury that the club medics misdiagnosed and mistreated for a long time and it impacted on his long term future in the game, which was really sad because, as you suggest, he was a pretty good footballer.

Yup.. also a diabetic which probably might have been difficult to combine with football back then. Been in Sweden since 1985 and had a decent manager/coaching career here though he was sacked from his latest job (last year) after only 3 months in charge.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Neil McNab

And more modern era:
Mauricio Tarrico
Bernardo
Conor Goldson

Some came from better things, some went on to better things, but sadly we never saw the best of them at the Albion ...

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Mickey Thomas - I was convinced he was gong to be brilliant for us.
I guess could be in a different category of "nearly" - his situation, an older player, "has-been" (see also Chivers, Savage, Ferguson) compared to a Roahn Ince, JFC scenario..

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Got to know Giles when he was with us. Really nice guy. He got an injury that the club medics misdiagnosed and mistreated for a long time and it impacted on his long term future in the game, which was really sad because, as you suggest, he was a pretty good footballer.

Saw on Google he's coached a lot in Sweden over the years so likely crossed paths with Graham Potter over the years.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Roland Bergkamp on name alone

Always knew this one wouldn't go anywhere based on the press copy and his interviews alone, it was all very "Roland is a very different type of player, don't expect a Dennis", that kind of thing. It will basically constant warnings not to expect much! Makes you wonder why they signed him in the first place.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Might seem a strange one but I’m going for Kurt Nogan. At one point it seemed odds on he would go to Liverpool for a million or more, everyone wanted him and he couldn’t stop scoring.

Then it all just went down hill and he disappeared into virtual obscurity after got about £250k for him. Such a waste.

If we ever need a measure of how far the club has risen…

The mere fact as a supporter I WANTED us to sell Nogan to a big club purely because we needed the cash to support a club that was slowly sinking towards oblivion…

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Not sure you're on the same wavelength as the OP was imagining.

Neil McNab played over a 100 times for the Albion. He very much 'made it' as an Albion player.

Yeah, I remember watching him often enough. Just thought he had more to offer than we saw.
But it was a long time back, so maybe the memory's a little unreliable :lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Always knew this one wouldn't go anywhere based on the press copy and his interviews alone, it was all very "Roland is a very different type of player, don't expect a Dennis", that kind of thing. It will basically constant warnings not to expect much! Makes you wonder why they signed him in the first place.

Always felt very sorry for him actually, blighted by the success his famous namesake.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You obviously weren't party to the average Eastbourne Saturday night out regards to Myall and Lynch. Both nice fellas but a little to keen on the booze. Myall was told by Brady he was overweight and word got back to the club about Lynch's big night outs. To his great credit Lynch when he was moved on he knuckled down and has had a decent career.

The Stuart Myall thing was short lived. He broke through into the first team and looked to be calm and assured on the ball and decent in the tackle at full back. I think he played a couple of games including a good performance away at West Brom and then started picking up niggling injuries. What passed for time on the ball just seemed to translate into slow, as he moved into more of a midfield role and yes there was a question mark around his fitness levels.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
I might be merging Championship Manager and reality here, but I was disappointed how it worked out with Jason Peake. He could have been great for us.

Similarly Paul Holsgrove - the £100k player we never saw.

Alexis Bertin - several classes above League One midfielders. If only he had a better agent.

Dean Blackwell was great, but sadly injury did for him.

I always liked it when we signed big names on their way down the divisions. Russell Osman springs to mind. He must have been mid / late-30s, but a part of me still hoped for some sort of Escape To Victory revival.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Alan Duffy. If only the club could have kept him away from the pie shops.

He did test positive for pies more than once

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have we had Seb Carole yet? So much promise, never fulfilled other than in flashes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here