Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion midfield engine room duo were better than top of the table Bournemouth's equivalent

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
180's for show, doubles for dough?
Not sure the analogy works when you are equally concerned with "show" and "dough"....?

Obviously everybody wants goals to make games even more enjoyable and to achieve a higher league placing.

My point is that there is plenty about the current Amex matchday, and this Albion squad, to be enjoyed rather than moaned about.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sorry everyone and I do agree in terms of the fact that Kayal, Stephens and Ince are an exciting prospect next season, but in terms of the Bournemouth game, this apparent 'domination of midfield' needs to be tempered with how many chances we actually created from midfield, which was very few.
This needs challenging as clear cut chances are often "very few".

Our midfield played really well against Bournemouth and the result, until Kayal went off, was that we had a few chances.

Top of the table Bournemouth at the same time struggled to assert themselves. This is/was very good. Us missing those chances, and then Kayal being forced off, was/is less good.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This needs challenging as clear cut chances are often "very few".

Our midfield played really well against Bournemouth and the result, until Kayal went off, was that we had a few chances.

Top of the table Bournemouth at the same time struggled to assert themselves. This is/was very good. Us missing those chances, and then Kayal being forced off, was/is less good.

With exception of Stephens snapshot and CMS's opportunistic effort when their goalie slipped, I'm struggling to name any others be they clear-cut or half-chances.

EDIT - Almost forgot Best's back-pass. Point remains though.

Creativity wise, we were poor.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
With exception of Stephens snapshot and CMS's opportunistic effort when their goalie slipped, I'm struggling to name any others be they clear-cut or half-chances.

EDIT - Almost forgot Best's back-pass. Point remains though.

Creativity wise, we were poor.

Stephens had 2 chances that he spooned over. Tex had a tight angled shot deflected over the bar for a corner. Calde had a clear header from the first corner of the game (perfectly delivered by Stephens). Carayol also created a shooting chance with that run. None of these were sitters, but we could/should have scored from at least one, not to mention had a penalty.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Stephens had 2 chances that he spooned over. Tex had a tight angled shot deflected over the bar for a corner. Calde had a clear header from the first corner of the game (perfectly delivered by Stephens). Carayol also created a shooting chance with that run. None of these were sitters, but we could/should have scored from at least one, not to mention had a penalty.

Story of our season. Despite everyone's frustrations good goalscoring opportunities have been created we have just lacked genuine goalscoring talent to put them away.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The one place that does not need much doing to it in the close season is the midfield, we are in good shape there.

I'm with you on this, and what's implied by it, that we need some substantial surgery in attack and, to a lesser extent, defence. Does this mean that the fog has descended with you, or is it me that's getting more gloomy?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm with you on this, and what's implied by it, that we need some substantial surgery in attack and, to a lesser extent, defence. Does this mean that the fog has descended with you, or is it me that's getting more gloomy?

:lolol: if you haven't got more gloomy over the last couple of weeks you must be a superfan!

Thinking about two league goals in a season from the three strikers we currently have available will continue to make me angry I'm afraid :shrug:

On the bright side I can now accept Stockdale as a fully committed Albion player warts and all!!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Kayal and Stephens were both absolute steals. Can't wait to see them get a full season together.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
:lolol: if you haven't got more gloomy over the last couple of weeks you must be a superfan!

Thinking about two league goals in a season from the three strikers we currently have available will continue to make me angry I'm afraid :shrug:

On the bright side I can now accept Stockdale as a fully committed Albion player warts and all!!

I've been with Stockdale all along. I've been highlighting just how awful are strikers are -- particularly when it comes to the small matter of putting the ball in the net -- since the start of the season. That includes our wide players, such as KLL and March, but the primary responsibility falls on the shoulders of CMS, Best and O'Grady. I can just about exempt O'Grady because he does a lot of good things, but his otherwise excellent movement turns to merde once he's in the penalty area. Baldock's movement around the box, by contrast, is good, and his finishing is good too. The problem is that it will only be in playing two up-front, or as the withdrawn '1' in one of Hughton's two preferred formations: 4-4-1-1. He also mentioned 4-2-3-1.
What all this means is that we need to return Best, refuse to renew CMS and have a chat with O'Grady, indicating that he'll be third or fourth choice. If he's happy with that, he can take it; if not, we'll have to get rid. That will leave us requiring three new additions up-front or, at the very least, two out-and-out forwards and one wide forward/winger. Two signings and a season-long loan from the PL is probably what we'll need, but we'll need to spend to exploit what the Ince-Kayal-Stephens trident offers (which doesn't look so bad with Holla, Crofts and JFC in reserve).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would be happy to see Stephens and Kayak as the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 set up next season, with Ince as cover, and especially if we could keep Tex as the central player of the three. Can't see Liverpool letting that happen, though.
My one concern is the lack of goals from them. True, our strikers have been gash this year, but you'd still be hoping for the midfielders to each score 5 or 6.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been very anti the 'bin off everyone and start again' point of view.

To me all that would do is take money away from where it's needed, up front, and possibly weaken the squad in the process.
The current players who aren't fit to wear the shirt, Stockdale, JFC, Holla, Bruno et al, would all look considerably better, without doing anything, if we scored goals and won games.

Even if we were just loafing around Charlton and Blackburn (how depressing does that sound) with 10 more points, next season would seem doable because 'all we need are goals'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Somebody needs to tell Stephens not to lean back when he's taking shots.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I am not convinced that the players we have are dire. They don't become gash overnight and last year we were in the play offs again. in this league a couple of people make all the difference. It's the difference between a relegation scrap and a play off push.

I think that we've missed the creativity of an Orlandi type, or a Spanish Dave (in his earlier days). composed players that can split a defence. I can barely remember chances created by incisive passes this year. We just don't get in behind defenses, and nor can we cut them open with a clever ball. That's what (in my opinion) we need to be considerably better at.

Of course...it did help having Upson and Leo last year....the latter making the most of the chances that we did create.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Kayal and Stephens were both absolute steals. Can't wait to see them get a full season together.

What odds Bournemouth make a cheeky bid for one or both (more likely Kayal) of they go up?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

With the exception of the Calderon header, those you mentioned were not even half-chances. The one Stephens skied, he was trying to ensure he didn't get hurt. The penalty was going away from goal, so not even a chance.

Feels like we're clutching at straws to mask an inept attacking display.

T

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
They'll have many many many millions to spend were that to happen. They'd both represent good squad players for them :(

Sadly that does seem to be the case. I'd hope though given Kayal has only been here half a season he'd want to stay for a bit and make his mark (same goes for Stephens).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I've been very anti the 'bin off everyone and start again' point of view.

To me all that would do is take money away from where it's needed, up front, and possibly weaken the squad in the process.
The current players who aren't fit to wear the shirt, Stockdale, JFC, Holla, Bruno et al, would all look considerably better, without doing anything, if we scored goals and won games.

Even if we were just loafing around Charlton and Blackburn (how depressing does that sound) with 10 more points, next season would seem doable because 'all we need are goals'.

Don't forget though, one club one ambition. Should we really be content with mid-table mediocrity, as the gulf between us and other teams widens year on year?

We have great support (in terms of season ticket sales), top training and playing facilities.

In addition to forwards you mention, we need 2 CB's, and a LB. In fact the central of midfield feels about the only thing that is ok. If we persist with a creative player and a wide player, we probably need both of those as well, or give KLL a chance.

We were nearly there under Poyet, the decline since has been fairly rapid.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here