Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion make ticket price promise as Amex goes cashless

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
On the face of it- the Club are not really promoting a great image with their concessions. Pretty much all of it is junk food, sugary drinks, sweets and booze, and the ban on people bringing in their own drinks with lids / flasks really pushes people into using disposable plastics rather than anything reusable / refillable.

I'm surprised they get away with it. I guess a bit of pressure from fans / negative press would lead to more healthy options being offered, and a return to allowing refillable bottles and lids / flasks, and maybe some water fountains.

The whole operation is very old school and needs a revamp if they want to move with the times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the face of it- the Club are not really promoting a great image with their concessions. Pretty much all of it is junk food, sugary drinks, sweets and booze, and the ban on people bringing in their own drinks with lids / flasks really pushes people into using disposable plastics rather than anything reusable / refillable.

I'm surprised they get away with it. I guess a bit of pressure from fans / negative press would lead to more healthy options being offered, and a return to allowing refillable bottles and lids / flasks, and maybe some water fountains.

The whole operation is very old school and needs a revamp if they want to move with the times.
Not that I eat at the AMEX, but it certainly isn't the place I'd go in order to eat Celery Surprise and Apple Slices.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So, take away that revenue stream and they'll add it on somewhere else, maybe beer prices or seat prices, would you prefer that?

Or possibly the massive increase in the cost of sourcing tea and pies could get absorbed in the £100m+ windfall we'll get just for being in the Premier League

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

It's a football match taking up an entire 2 hours roughly once a fortnight. I'm sure people can find something healthy to eat if they're that way inclined in the remaining 334 hours available.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Regular debit/credit card. Not all food outlets are cashless yet but they will be eventually.

Good Lord it’s going to be a nightmare, the staff in our concourse with carpets are completely bemused by the the contactless machines as it is. It’s easier and much, much quicker to use cash.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Revenue stream from catering is a drop in the ocean in PL revenue stream terms, such is the obscene amount of money sloshing around.

Exactly so any price hike is obscene on season tickets but all the while there is a waiting list I am sure the club will indulge. A few years back the Commercial Director at Blackburn was interviewed when they were Premier League and when asked about vast amount of seats empty on match days replied it was his lowest priority to resolve.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Not at all. What I see in my part of the North is a lot of young kids, many of them already on the way to being, er, big-boned, constantly trooping up and down the walkways with Amex junk food. For sure it's only a microcosm of the general junk food epidemic, but still not a good thing to see.

So you're moaning about what other people do?

If they stopped serving that junk food there could be 10s/100s of jobs at risk.

Let the fat ******** eat.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not at all fussed about food and drink price increases. Don't give a shit if they raised those prices by 50%. Might actually stop people filling their fat faces with totally unnecessary pies, pizza etc. for the two or three hours they're in the ground. Might even thin out the always stupidly long catering queues also.

Why not increase ticket prices too? Keep the riff raff out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good Lord it’s going to be a nightmare, the staff in our concourse with carpets are completely bemused by the the contactless machines as it is. It’s easier and much, much quicker to use cash.

Mmmm....that seems a bit like arguing that stairs are quicker than escalators because the thick don't know how to hop on and off without fracturing their pelvis.

If contactless didn't save time, allowing vendors to cater for more 'shoppers' we wouldn't have them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mmmm....that seems a bit like arguing that stairs are quicker than escalators because the thick don't know how to hop on and off without fracturing their pelvis.

If contactless didn't save time, allowing vendors to cater for more 'shoppers' we wouldn't have them.

I can assure you where we have to put up with them they are utterly incompetent. For a start, at a bar where 4 or 5 staff are ‘serving’ at any one time they have one (one) portable contactless machine. It gets passed around from one server to another, invariably with all 4 of them waiting for the 5th one to use it. If one of them can’t work it, and there is always one, then the rest have to wait till they work it out. Heaven forbid if someone orders something to eat and drink at the same time. Throw into the mix the fact that one of them will go off to ask a supervisior “do we take Amex?” You might be getting the picture.

I still find it unfathomable that after the best part of ten years a bar that was appalling at the beginning has barely risen to being woeful. How can a ten year old bar still show absolutely no signs of slickness whatsoever?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can assure you where we have to put up with them they are utterly incompetent. For a start, at a bar where 4 or 5 staff are ‘serving’ at any one time they have one (one) portable contactless machine. It gets passed around from one server to another, invariably with all 4 of them waiting for the 5th one to use it. If one of them can’t work it, and there is always one, then the rest have to wait till they work it out. Heaven forbid if someone orders something to eat and drink at the same time. Throw into the mix the fact that one of them will go off to ask a supervisior “do we take Amex?” You might be getting the picture.

I still find it unfathomable that after the best part of ten years a bar that was appalling at the beginning has barely risen to being woeful. How can a ten year old bar still show absolutely no signs of slickness whatsoever?

OK, so it isn't contactless itself that is at fault, just the incompetence of the people managing it. Fair enough. They had better get some more machines and train the staff better. Hopefully they will. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here