Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Legends a matter of debate?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally I think this is incredibly hard on Murray, easily deserves to be talked about in the same terms as Bobby and Dunky IMHO. 100 goals for the club, fired us to the top flight, top scored and kept us up for several seasons thereafter. If Murray's not a club legend then I honestly don't know who is.

I agree on Muzza. If we're talking about players we'll talk about for the next 100 years, our greatest modern goalscorer simply has to be one of those. It's all subjective of course, but if Murray isn't a legend, neither is Bobby, or Peter Ward as his achievements outstripped both on the pitch.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Depends on how many, time period,. If its 5 from 1950 then its going to be different from 10 in the last decade or even 50.
Other criteria could be minimum number of games for the club (eg: 100 ). And comparing like with like. And nobody can really define what we mean by a legend anyway.

For Amex era legends - if its only 5. My list would be
Murray, Bruno, Dunk, Calde, Knockaert. (i'd say Solly isn't far off)

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Dick Knight ... or is it only players?
Roy Jennings
Bobby Smith
Peter Ward
Glenn Murray
Bobby Zamora
Lewis Dunk

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Before my time: Charlie Webb, Tommy Cook, Tug Wilson, Pom Pom Whiting
Just before my time: Norman Gall & Bobby Smith (just for the fact of who he was and the stories of how Brighton signed him)
Mullers years: Nobby, Wardy, Sully and Lawrenson (still the best player comparatively and through the mists of time I've ever seen)
Modern era: Zamora & Murray & Dunk
Characters/notability/notoriety: Robbie Reinelt (that goal); Johnny Crumplin (football genius); Charlie Oatway (surname); Gary Hart (tracksuits); Vicente (a mxture of Bobby Smith and Mark Lawrenson)
PL generation (legend status still to be earned although Dunky and Muzza make it for longevity/impact)

I agree with all on that, and my memories start with Archie Macaulay's team in the 60's so I would add Kit Napier to the list from that era.

:thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Vicente is notorious as being the most talented player to ever play for the Albion, therefore there is a legend there and furthermore, he is a legend.

He is not the best player we have had (maybe Lawro or Bissouma/Lamptey) and played very few games but in terms of world class players we have at this club, he had the most ability.

Legend definition.
an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.
"the man was a living legend"

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gerry Ryan.
Steve Foster.
Garry Nelson.
Bruno.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well, quite. But still arguably our best ever LB

No need for anybody to argue with that. By quite some way the best LB I have seen wearing a Brighton shirt in nearly 50 years. But he was never our player so I can't grant him "Albion Legend" status I'm afraid.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Vicente is notorious as being the most talented player to ever play for the Albion, therefore there is a legend there and furthermore, he is a legend.

He is not the best player we have had (maybe Lawro or Bissouma/Lamptey) and played very few games but in terms of world class players we have at this club, he had the most ability.

Legend definition.
an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.
"the man was a living legend"

Hugo old boy surely Lawrenson was a more talented footballer than Vincente?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not Hugo of the Albion phone in? He was one bizarre chap!

This! Hugo giving his post match views whilst hanging his curtains was the highlight.

I don't miss much about Withdean but the dreary drive home to Eastbourne was made better by Ian's phone in.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hugo old boy surely Lawrenson was a more talented footballer than Vincente?

Not that it’s necessarily clear cut, but Vicente was one of the best players in the world around 2004.

Winning 38 caps for Spain also no mean feat, and would have been much more if it weren’t for injury.

I’d personally say Vicente was the more talented of the two. Both undoubtedly exceptional players.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not only is the term legend too commonly used and subjective to mean anything, it’s also misused.

There is no such thing as a BHA player ‘legend’

All existed. All can be proved as former players.

In debating these matters, it would help if people understood the meaning of the word... :)

Now who are Albions cult heroes, local heroes, greatest talents etc? That’s a debate from which a list can be created!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
This! Hugo giving his post match views whilst hanging his curtains was the highlight.

I don't miss much about Withdean but the dreary drive home to Eastbourne was made better by Ian's phone in.

Even today I rue the demise of Ian on the phone in. Appreciate it all ended a bit sourly, not sure of the full details and probably best left unsaid, but it was always a post-match highlight, win, lose or draw.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
stevefoster1.jpg

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
No need for anybody to argue with that. By quite some way the best LB I have seen wearing a Brighton shirt in nearly 50 years. But he was never our player so I can't grant him "Albion Legend" status I'm afraid.

Oh no, me either. I was making the point re. Bridge and Vicente that "best player" and "legend" aren't the same thing. I don't think either are legends, but both in the top 10% of players to pull on the stripes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here