Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Palace: "Ineffectual" :)

chances.gif

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Quite interesting really, especially as we seem to be sandwiched between Reading, who won the league, and Doncaster, who dropped into league one.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Blimey.

Some people have too much time on their hands.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As a supporter being on the bottom half is so much better than the top half, if we can slide to the right this season and remain the same horizontally we shoudl improve our position.

What is does show is without the Vicente factor we would have been up there with Palace, despite the shortsighted posters who blamed his inclusion in the team for our run of poor results.

It also shows how defensively good we were against most off the constant threat teams.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It might also help us understand why CMS had a disappointing season. His a busy striker who likes to chase and be involved in the game as much as possible, our style isn't really like that, so we need strikers to be composed and clinical rather than all work-rate.

We had the second lowest shots per game out of the league whereas Peterborough a struggling team had the fifth highest. A huge transition for CMS to make and hopefully after a season of learning he and the team can make the necessary changes in their game to get the best out of each other.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
2nd worst in the league in 'chance creation' (shots per game) is something I'd like to see us improve on next year.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
2nd worst in the league in 'chance creation' (shots per game) is something I'd like to see us improve on next year.

I think that's what everyone wants but it shows that Gus went back to basics when we started losing. Barnes in the middle to support Bridcutt and protect the defence better. CMS admitted he needed to work out a different way to play to support the team and so I think that formation won't change in the short term. Will be interesting to see if CMS finds a new way in pre-season.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Excellent little graph that.

Shots per goal good. Just need more shots.

Think we could all have recognised that, but interesting to see it in graphical format.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I do like the definition. 'Languidly clinical' does rather sum up last season's style of play quite nicely.
Indeed, especially a lot of our home performances.

Need to catch up with the blog that graph is take from, found it pretty interesting, but I can't recall the name. Anyone?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think that's what everyone wants but it shows that Gus went back to basics when we started losing. Barnes in the middle to support Bridcutt and protect the defence better. CMS admitted he needed to work out a different way to play to support the team and so I think that formation won't change in the short term. Will be interesting to see if CMS finds a new way in pre-season.

Agree entirely.

I'd also suggest that this contributed to occasions where we would go long stretches struggling to break teams down - i.e. times when the megabrains of NSC were banging on about there being 'No Plan B'. I reckon that just one or two new faces, with this system in mind, will be just the ticket.

(And I would LOVE nothing more than CMS finding his groove early next season)

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Interesting graph. Not sure what the parameters would be but a 'defending' version would also make interesting viewing.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Be good to get that chart as just home games, and then split between when we attacked the South Stand (which would surely be ineffectual) and when we attacked the North Stand (Constant threat)

<mod: reference to deleted post removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Interesting graph. Not sure what the parameters would be but a 'defending' version would also make interesting viewing.
We just about squeeze into the 'Formidable' quadrant. Would've looked even better if it wasn't for that 6-0 battering at Upton Park in April.

championship-chance-allowance-and-resilience.png

Championship attack Experimental 3-6-1

Also a chart for "Efficiency" that reflects on us quite well, especially considering the 3 teams that got promoted occupy the same quadrant.

championship-attack-and-defence-efficiency.png

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its pretty much correct that. We dont create anywhere near enough chances

We will though this season, I am convinced of it :)

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
What about one that shows efficiency against poorer opposition. I suspect that would be the worst one. Coventry away, Donny away, Barnsley away, Forest away, Palace home & away... 4 points from possible 18. We need to be much better against the poorer teams to be pushing for top spots this season.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Betting opportunities

Well worth bookmarking.[/QUOTE]

Great for possible in-play/spread betting opportunities:cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports