Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion in the market for another Striker

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought COG did ok in the games he played, we were very poor i the first 2 league games, hardly his fault.
We wont i dont think buy another player of his or Ulloa type, its not the way we now play.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
There's still twitter chatter about Jonathan Soriano who I guess would fit Sami's requirements? Quick, technically very good with a presence to play that "no 9" role.

I guess we'll find out soon enough

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think Ulloa had enough about him to fit into our current style of play and could have forged a decent partnership with CMS but would struggle as the lone man.

That considered, why would we want a replacement unless we were planning to play two up front or someone for a plan B. And it's tricky trying to sign someone to sit on the bench

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
There's still twitter chatter about Jonathan Soriano who I guess would fit Sami's requirements? Quick, technically very good with a presence to play that "no 9" role.

I guess we'll find out soon enough

allegedly on 3m a year wages! not sure how salzburg would afford that but...if its true then we have no chance. would like to see if we could get vossen though. similar issue though maybe?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The available 9 shirt is a giveaway. We must intend to fill that at some point, not sure though that a big target man is the sort of player Hyppia seeks though. I think Vlossen might still be a target but have absolutely no substantive basis for saying that.

VFM will be the key as the signings to date have shown. If we don't get a striker now, likely in Jan window when FFP embargoes potentially depress valuations.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I would also observe that currently we have 26 players in the squad, so we're already 1 over.

Are you including some of the U21 players in that 26 man squad? I'm pretty sure players such as JFC don't need to be assigned as part of the main squad (but can still play) due to their age.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I keep telling you all it's Michael Owen FFS !!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Looks like no 'stars' coming, but an attempt at good team building.
Could work, like Burnley did last season.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I agree. If plan A is to deploy fast, nimble, technical players, why would Sami want a second (out of what would then be still only 5) classic, big #9? That would especially be the case if any new player were to be a big money signing....

It would make more sense if any further striker fitted the plan A mould.

I would also observe that currently we have 26 players in the squad, so we're already 1 over. I'm guessing that Maksi might be going out on loan. If another striker comes in - perhaps one of the existing four exits, temporarily or permanently?
I guess we are looking to loan out Fenelon, and to ship out Agustien, to bring the number down to 24 + 1 new striker.

If we bring i the Irish defender, I can see Maksimenko going.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
allegedly on 3m a year wages! not sure how salzburg would afford that but...if its true then we have no chance. would like to see if we could get vossen though. similar issue though maybe?

And also allegedly said, somewhat modestly, that he would only leave Salzburg for Barcelona!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Are you including some of the U21 players in that 26 man squad? I'm pretty sure players such as JFC don't need to be assigned as part of the main squad (but can still play) due to their age.

Yep, I was - Ince and JFC. I didn't know about your second sentence - if that's correct, that does change things materially concerning whether we might see any more departures...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I guess we are looking to loan out Fenelon, and to ship out Agustien, to bring the number down to 24 + 1 new striker.

Yep, that sounds plausible - though see Gullflyinghigh's post. If he's right, we don't have yo ship anyone out, even if we do get another striker...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Tough call for Maxsi.

Stay and be at the end of a long list of centre backs.
Leave and not be coached by Sami Hyypia.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I agree. If plan A is to deploy fast, nimble, technical players, why would Sami want a second (out of what would then be still only 5) classic, big #9? That would especially be the case if any new player were to be a big money signing....

It would make more sense if any further striker fitted the plan A mould.

It was pretty obvious on Saturday that playing with only one forward, a CMS type, left us extremely vulnerable defending set-pieces. It nearly cost us points.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It was pretty obvious on Saturday that playing with only one forward, a CMS type, left us extremely vulnerable defending set-pieces. It nearly cost us points.

We could certainly do with more height when defending set-pieces, maybe the reported signing of Gary Gardener is partly with this in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here