Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion going to Dubai

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My wife refuses to go because of gay rules and how women are treated so I have never been

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Teams have been coming over here for many years for a week of warm weather training.

It's often Tier 1 and 2 teams that get knocked out of the FA Cup in Round 3 with a free weekend in late Jan / early Feb.

Hardly breaking news. And it's not even in the same country as the World Cup.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Teams have been coming over here for many years for a week of warm weather training.

It's often Tier 1 and 2 teams that get knocked out of the FA Cup in Round 3 with a free weekend in late Jan / early Feb.

Hardly breaking news. And it's not even in the same country as the World Cup.
...and?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If it benefits the team due to warm weather training then no issue . Just get on with it. Football decision

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I can understand that if you want warm weather training at this time of year, then there aren't a whole lot of options that are easily accessible and have top notch facilities available.

But it does leave a very bad taste. Especially for Brighton. You can try and brush it off as being a purely "football decision", but this is implicitly condoning Dubai's treatment of LGBTQ+ communities.

Is "warm weather training" really that important and beneficial? Players are going to have to come back and play on a cold day in Charlton anyway.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Is "warm weather training" really that important and beneficial? Players are going to have to come back and play on a cold day in Charlton anyway.
It's fine, as a result of the Premier League and FA's efforts to strengthen ties with Middle Eastern countries, from after the World Cup all stadiums in England will be heated to a balmy 18c, with the gas jointly supplied by the UAE and Saudi Arabia. :clap:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
This seems the perfect thing for the Fan Advisory Board to feed back to the club on. It would be interesting if any of the FAB members were asked what they thought the fan reaction would be to the club going to Dubai.

As a gay man I am not particularly surprised or outraged by this . I think that with the world cup in Qatar the time for outrage and protest is long gone. The only meaningful protest would have been National FAs withdrawing from or not entering the world cup when it was announced, all this rainbow armbands is simply paying lipservice to make it look like the FA gives a damn.

Football in general doesnt actually care about LGBTQ rights, workers rights, racism or much else really, if it did FIFA and UEFA, National Football Associations would actually issue meaningful punishments to clubs and countries when the racism, homophobia etc occurs-it doesn't . A couple of matches behind closed doors and a few tens of thousands of punds fines are effectivly meaningless. Dock points from clubs, expell nations from competitions, thats what is needed

The governing bodies simply cry "Sport is above politics" which convieniently letys them accept the money without worrying about how its arrived and get on with ignoring the situation

Whether a few clubs train in Dubai or elsewhere wont make a blind bit of difference to those regiemes, they simply dont care what fans think as simply not enough fans really care either- look at how quickly Newcastle fans (Shearer included) started wanking themselves silly over the money and improvement in league position, Man City fans arent exactly protesting, nor are those of PSG and the numerous other clubs funded from thesae regiemes, or dother dodgy owners

Its easy fopr us fans tyo wring our hands and say how awful, but how many of us will boycott this world cup, especially if we progress to the end stages, and how many of us will take any action other than a post or tweo on NSC to say we dissagree with going to Dubai?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Bad choice, but there must be "reasons" which may not be obvious.
Reasons? £££££ $$$$$ I'd guess.

If you want to 'keep politics out of football' then don't let shitty governments buy clubs for political purposes. But we did and it's too late. Politics IS 'in football'

Mind you, I don't define 'killing people for disagreeing with you and/or being gay' as being 'political'. I define it as being shit.

100% agree with OP. Wish we weren't going to Dubai. Very bad look, especially when there is so much attention on just how shitty Qatar is.

Letter (email) writing campaign to Barber anyone?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The governing bodies simply cry "Sport is above politics" which convieniently letys them accept the money without worrying about how its arrived and get on with ignoring the situation
Not only will they claim "sport is above politics" and "focus on the football", but with the next breath they'll try to argue that football is a "positive force for change" and that this World Cup will change the societies that host them.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Not only will they claim "sport is above politics" and "focus on the football", but with the next breath they'll try to argue that football is a "positive force for change" and that this World Cup will change the societies that host them.
Indeed.
'keep politics out of sport' is a meaningless and stupid phrase and those of us that remember the campaigns against apartheid have heard it all before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here