Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion : Getting it right off the pitch ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Without wanting to get into a circular argument here, yes, (slight) drops in attendance are proof of naive supporters. And are observed at all clubs when they have a poor season (see increasing attendances for proof).

I was referring to you naivety! We certainly under-achieved last season, having been once again set high expectations by our beloved chairman. Our season was ruined by a p1ss-poor managerial appointment, and an equally bad summer of recruitment. If you think all supporters (new and old) are going to stick with the club after that shambles, then you are naive. And the season-ticket sales drop-off, although played-down by PB, was significant (more evidence of naivety if you swallowed PB's BS on ticket sales).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think we know what hard core looks like (sub 3k crowds at Priest field). The rest are there because the whole package is convenient.

Actually, and I'm saying this as a long-term fan, I find it offensive that some on here say it is only the new fans that will walk when the club has a bad season. I know plenty of long-standing fans who 'dropped-out' last season due to Tony's claim we will have a top-6 squad followed by our shambolic recruitment and season...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Actually, and I'm saying this as a long-term fan, I find it offensive that some on here say it is only the new fans that will walk when the club has a bad season. I know plenty of long-standing fans who 'dropped-out' last season due to Tony's claim we will have a top-6 squad followed by our shambolic recruitment and season...
Then they're not long-standing fans, surely? :shrug:

...and by the way I'm not criticising anyone who decides, for whatever reason, top stop going. Or saying that any one type of fan is better than any other. Each to their own and all that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
We were all frustrated with the performances, but surely the only real discontent was amongst people new to football?

With respect, just about the polar opposite of the truth, I reckon.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I was being flippant and success on the pitch is paramount, but draw a parallel with cricket and ask Sussex fans if they would accept CC relegation if they could win the T20 ? The majority I expect would say no, although the most will turn up for a T20 event over a day of championship cricket, because the entertainment package is so much better.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I know this is perhaps pedantry but it sounds like you're claiming fans/mates have stopped attending due to TB's rather mundane quotes about the strength of the squad at the beginning of every season...
Last year being, despite having finished in the top 6 for the previous 2 seasons, TB was fairly qualified about how we will do. "if all goes well", "realistic chance" if "Sami gets best out of the players"

"I am confident Sami will get the best out of the players and if all goes well we will have a realistic chance of finishing the top six and a realistic chance of getting promoted every season we are in the Championship. That is our goal.”
Argus - June 2014
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb..._another_competitive_squad_to_target_top_six/

This often gets conflated on here to a cast iron guarantees that we will get promoted or finish in the top 6 but the actual quotes are a lot more measured.
In fact the "pledges" this season are even more ambiguous.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know this is perhaps pedantry but it sounds like you're claiming fans/mates have stopped attending due to TB's rather mundane quotes about the strength of the squad at the beginning of every season...
Last year being, despite having finished in the top 6 for the previous 2 seasons, TB was fairly qualified about how we will do. "if all goes well", "realistic chance" if "Sami gets best out of the players"

"I am confident Sami will get the best out of the players and if all goes well we will have a realistic chance of finishing the top six and a realistic chance of getting promoted every season we are in the Championship. That is our goal.”
Argus - June 2014
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb..._another_competitive_squad_to_target_top_six/

This often gets conflated on here to a cast iron guarantees that we will get promoted or finish in the top 6 but the actual quotes are a lot more measured.

We weren't far off a decent side last season. Terrible start under the new manager that we never recovered from, bottomed out confidence and a few loanees playing for their own stats rather than the team. Its not been a radical change to suddenly make us look a decent side. At the start of this season we only had Bong and Hemed start who weren't here last season. Small changes making massive differences.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The season-ticket sales drop-off, although played-down by PB, was significant

I'm not sure where he's played it down. In the forum for example he was very open about it, its impact on the bottom line and the reasons for it , including self evidently the poor performances and position in the league last season.
The decision to freeze prices, travel zone extension,other ticket changes and (perhaps) the increased playing budget also illustrate that the club are hardly being complacent about it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We were all frustrated with the performances, but surely the only real discontent was amongst people new to football? All teams will have seasons like that and you just have to grin and bear it.

So just to clarify, you are implying that the only aspect of the club that people have been unhappy about recently was the football, and specifically saying that the only people who were unhappy about the football were those who had never followed any team, let alone the Albion, for more than a few months?

Blimey.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So just to clarify, you are implying that the only aspect of the club that people have been unhappy about recently was the football, and specifically saying that the only people who were unhappy about the football were those who had never followed any team, let alone the Albion, for more than a few months?

Blimey.

Nope. I specifically said we were all unhappy with the football, so quite the opposite.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Then they're not long-standing fans, surely? :shrug:

...and by the way I'm not criticising anyone who decides, for whatever reason, top stop going. Or saying that any one type of fan is better than any other. Each to their own and all that.

These are people who had just had enough after years and years of support (hence, long-standing fans)... of course, a lot of them are now having a re-think! ;-)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nope. I specifically said we were all unhappy with the football, so quite the opposite.

Quite a good wriggle, but you said very clearly that the only people who were really discontented were people who were new to football. Some might find that patronising.

Hell, I find it patronising. Please understand that some of those unhappy with aspects of how the club seemed to be run in recent years are not newcomers. I suspect that some of them are the Albion's longest-serving supporters.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Argus - June 2014

My take on that quote is: no guarantees, but our goal is top 6, and if all goes well (big IF there Tony) we will achieve our goal. He is not really doing anything other than bigging-up our chances, which turned out to be BS. Hence, he has been far more circumspect this summer, which only goes to prove my point...

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure where he's played it down. In the forum for example he was very open about it, its impact on the bottom line and the reasons for it , including self evidently the poor performances and position in the league last season.
The decision to freeze prices, travel zone extension,other ticket changes and (perhaps) the increased playing budget also illustrate that the club are hardly being complacent about it.

He certainly tried to sell the decline in sales as 'normal'. Seems he changed his tune by the forum, obviously realising anyone with any sense wasn't 'buying' his BS.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It is nice to hear the club putting their money where their mouth is and less corporate claptrap from Barber.

Either Tony has loosened the purse string a bit after last years disaster or Barber has morphed into a caring sharing financial genius where penny pinching doesn't matter any more.

Which one? Hmmmm

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Quite a good wriggle, but you said very clearly that the only people who were really discontented were people who were new to football. Some might find that patronising.

Hell, I find it patronising. Please understand that some of those unhappy with aspects of how the club seemed to be run in recent years are not newcomers. I suspect that some of them are the Albion's longest-serving supporters.

I think this is the bit that find hard to understand.. genuinely. What is it specifically that people (long standing or otherwise) are unhappy about.. For me, the only thing I have been unhappy about is the football/league position last season, but I accept that in the context of plenty of other awful seasons that I have had the misfortune to watch - and the Club has tried to rectify that as well!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He certainly tried to sell the decline in sales as 'normal'. Seems he changed his tune by the forum, obviously realising anyone with any sense wasn't 'buying' his BS.

Where ? Whats so BS about when in
In March when he announced the season tickets he said this . Just sounds like thanks to the fans for still renewing in high numbers even though the season had been disappointing.
“We’re renewing at around 90 per cent, which including 1901 Club members, is a fantastic renewal rate, particularly in a season which has been disappointing by our own standards.
“The fans have shown their loyalty and commitment and everyone here is hoping to get through this season, make sure our place in the Championship is secure and then go again next season.
“We’ve done as much as possible to keep the price of football at the Amex as affordable as possible.....
“We want to give fans every opportunity to come back and see the team next season. I’m delighted in the ways they’ve responded.”
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...hted-with-season-ticket-renewals-2373248.aspx

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My take on that quote is: no guarantees, but our goal is top 6, and if all goes well (big IF there Tony) we will achieve our goal. He is not really doing anything other than bigging-up our chances, which turned out to be BS. Hence, he has been far more circumspect this summer, which only goes to prove my point...

If you can see the nuances in the quote, and there's plenty of caveats then how come your friends/mates/etc were so upset about it that they no longer come to the Amex.
Shouldn't you have had a word and said. Don't worry its just TB BS. (or Barber BS)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here