Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion FANZINES - Past & present

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Alright mates.

I am in the process of putting together a website primarily covering the history of Albion programmes.

I'm also going to put a section in there about the various Fanzines that have been issued over the years. If anyone can give me a potted history of the development of any of the publications I would be very grateful. I was there as a buyer but if someone who was involved in the production (and the associated grief) can put some words together that would be brilliant.

Also, if anyone has any old programmes or fanzines they don't want I would be happy to take them off your hands.

I've got here ONE copy of Build a Bonfire from April 1998, Gulls Eye issues 20, 34, 72, 73, 82, 84, 92 and 100, plus the 'new version from 2000, issues 7 & 9. I've got a couple of Keep the Faith (issues 2 & 4), one copy of Seaside Saga from April 97 and finally, a copy of One F in Falmer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry to be churlish, but IMHO there's only ever been two Albion fanzines worthy of the name; Gulls Eye and NSC.

Were it not for the life-or-death struggle of the club at the time, even Gulls Eye would have been as sad as a display of DadDancing at a wedding reception. Fanzines were the preserve of the punk movement and had all but died out by 1979, all the good writers having been snaffled up by NME and Sounds and ZigZag.

Anybody over the age of 19 involved in producing a fanzine since the widespread uptake of tinternet should feel faintly embarrassed. IMHO, like.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Sorry to be churlish, but IMHO there's only ever been two Albion fanzines worthy of the name; Gulls Eye and NSC.

Were it not for the life-or-death struggle of the club at the time, even Gulls Eye would have been as sad as a display of DadDancing at a wedding reception. Fanzines were the preserve of the punk movement and had all but died out by 1979, all the good writers having been snaffled up by NME and Sounds and ZigZag.

Anybody over the age of 19 involved in producing a fanzine since the widespread uptake of tinternet should feel faintly embarrassed. IMHO, like.

Most punk fanzines hadn't even STARTED by 1979.
The golden years of football fanzines were the 80s and early 90s.
They still have a role now, though I agree the internet has a part to play too. But spending too much time on the internet is far sadder than any fanzine could possibly be.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004

Sorry, but that's bollocks.

I was 24 when I co-founded Scars & Stripes and am very proud of what we achieved. As for the TSLR, both of the editors are also in their early 20s.

"Embarrassed"??? I'd be more embarrassed mocking people who have the balls to get up off their arses and do something worthwhile instead of spouting mis-informed rhetoric on a football message board.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
'On The Up' became Seaside Saga - same fanzine. It lasted 3 years.

Which did start life as Scars and Stripes (I think!) under a young guy whose name escapes, me, think he then handed it over to a very nice woman called Jackie (Albion Jax) who was the editor under the two titles above. I used to write a column 'View from The Smoke' when I lived in the heart of enemy territory in South Norwood, which then became 'View From Across The Pond' when I relocated to the States.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, but that's bollocks.

I was 24 when I co-founded Scars & Stripes and am very proud of what we achieved. As for the TSLR, both of the editors are also in their early 20s.

"Embarrassed"??? I'd be more embarrassed mocking people who have the balls to get up off their arses and do something worthwhile instead of spouting mis-informed rhetoric on a football message board.

Sorry, but seeing some no-mark Geordie 'fanzine editor' who was aged about 35 and weighed about 18 stone interviewed on Sky Sports News about serial bottler Keegan this week made me want to puke. Even the guys who have brought out the latest Albion fanzine find themselves interviewed on t'radio before issue two hits Tongdean Lane. It's the equivalent of reality TV IMHO. Really means Less Than Zero.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
bullshit. punk was dead by 1979, nevermind punk fanzines. Anything after that was just chasing ghosts and cashing in.

That is ignorant mainstream bullshit. Punk as a global phenomenon hadn,t even STARTED in 79. Can't be bothered. Out of here.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Sorry, but seeing some no-mark Geordie 'fanzine editor' who was aged about 35 and weighed about 18 stone interviewed on Sky Sports News about serial bottler Keegan this week made me want to puke.

I agree with that entirely. That is a national broadcaster though. It's the same logic as people on here spouting off about every subject because they can type.

At least with a fanzine, the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

Even the guys who have brought out the latest Albion fanzine find themselves interviewed on t'radio before issue two hits Tongdean Lane. It's the equivalent of reality TV IMHO. Really means Less Than Zero.

That's unfair. They were interviewed by a community station, in Brighton & Hove. Hardly Match of the Day is it? There were probably less than a thousand listeners.

They deserve to get a bit of recognition for their efforts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which did start life as Scars and Stripes (I think!) under a young guy whose name escapes, me, think he then handed it over to a very nice woman called Jackie (Albion Jax) who was the editor under the two titles above. I used to write a column 'View from The Smoke' when I lived in the heart of enemy territory in South Norwood, which then became 'View From Across The Pond' when I relocated to the States.

Ben and Jackie.

But On The Up/Seaside Saga had nothing to do with Scars & Stripes, founded by Paul Camillin (now club press officer), Dan (Soul Finger on here), Kieron (Papa Lazarou on here), Paul 2 (now an Albion photographer amongst other things) and myself, with sizable contributions from Jon (Roadrunner on here) and Pete (on here, but can't remember his username off hand). Adrian (Smiley Miley) became involved further down the line.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with that entirely. That is a national broadcaster though. It's the same logic as people on here spouting off about every subject because they can type.

At least with a fanzine, the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

That's unfair. They were interviewed by a community station, in Brighton & Hove. Hardly Match of the Day is it? There were probably less than a thousand listeners.

They deserve to get a bit of recognition for their efforts.

Fair enough points, well made.

Sorry, but coming from ye olde days of punk, I find it hard to take football fanzines seriously, unless they are campaigning fanzines like Gulls Eye. Most are an ego-boost for the editors.

IMHO, leaving aside the technology available on the day, NSC is BY FAR the best campaigning fanzine the Albion ever had.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Sorry, but seeing some no-mark Geordie 'fanzine editor' who was aged about 35 and weighed about 18 stone interviewed on Sky Sports News about serial bottler Keegan this week made me want to puke. Even the guys who have brought out the latest Albion fanzine find themselves interviewed on t'radio before issue two hits Tongdean Lane. It's the equivalent of reality TV IMHO. Really means Less Than Zero.

don't hate the media, become the media, we are far more interested in the punk ethos than the punk subculture, but we do need to sell these things and when somebody invites me on to talk about something Stef and I have spent a) a long time and b) a lot of money in creating then yeah, my ego rules.

if anybody fancies reading some researched, balanced, intelligent theory on the culture of the football fanzine then type 'steve redhead' into amazon.

and can i add, in this whole thread, nobody has mentioned acid house, a far more important musical movement in the evolution of alternative football press than punk ever was.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I find it hard to take football fanzines seriously, unless they are campaigning fanzines like Gulls Eye. Most are an ego-boost for the editors.

I struggle with this to be honest. True there is a place - a big one - for campaigning fanzines. But isn't there also a place for the irreverent, irrelevant, vulgar, informative, scatalogical or just bloody funny? Reading an alternative perspective alongside the official programme is something I've always found enjoyable - even if I conclude by thinking it cobblers. I regret its passing out of fashion.

Surely it desn't always have to be campaigning; does it?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
don't hate the media, become the media, we are far more interested in the punk ethos than the punk subculture, but we do need to sell these things and when somebody invites me on to talk about something Stef and I have spent a) a long time and b) a lot of money in creating then yeah, my ego rules.

if anybody fancies reading some researched, balanced, intelligent theory on the culture of the football fanzine then type 'steve redhead' into amazon.

and can i add, in this whole thread, nobody has mentioned acid house, a far more important musical movement in the evolution of alternative football press than punk ever was.

Good on you for the new fanzine.
Have you got your St Pauli trip sorted OK? They are a fine bunch, Raphael and Sven will show you round (and get you pissed!) But don't get too pissed before the game - you'll be standing on a TERRACE with a BEER in your hand (and paying eight quid to get in...)

Don't agree with you about acid house and the zine movement - but then I don't agree with Tom Hark and his strange comment about punk (bloody hell, mate, what happened to you in '79? Did you get scared by the skeletons in the Vault or something?) and the fanzine culture. The internet has its place (in small amounts!!) but putting a zine together, getting out into the fresh air, meeting people face to face and selling it is still a great thing to do....

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Good on you for the new fanzine.
Have you got your St Pauli trip sorted OK? They are a fine bunch, Raphael and Sven will show you round (and get you pissed!) But don't get too pissed before the game - you'll be standing on a TERRACE with a BEER in your hand (and paying eight quid to get in...)

hamburg is going to be IMMENSE ... they have the Astras' on ice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
bullshit. punk was dead by 1979, nevermind punk fanzines. Anything after that was just chasing ghosts and cashing in.

English Punk like Sex Pistols was over but they were shit anyway. Bands like The Damned, Minor threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Misfits all raged on well into the 80's.

and now I can go and see the Pistols.............:nono:

I would no more want to see the sad sight of fifty somethings running around as tho they are sill young men, than I would want to watch Peter Ward try and go past a defender nowadays. Its all rather sad and pathetic altho The Sex Pistols then returned for a brief second encore, covering Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine'. is rather hilarrious -

Each was of its time and should be left there IMHO.
ever feel you've been had?

The Sex Pistols threaten to kill Isle Of Wight crowd
Sex Pistols at Isle Of Wight
Plus John Lydon calls The Police 'bumholes' at headline show

Jun 15, 2008
13 Comments
Sex Pistols news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add Sex Pistols to MyNME
The Sex Pistols played a headline slot at the Isle Of Wight Festival tonight (June 14), during which singer John Lydon threatened to murder audience members, called tomorrow's (June 15) headliners The Police "bumholes", downed liquor from the bottle, paid tribute to Iggy Pop and footballer Paul Gascoigne then complained about the lack of "fanny" in the crowd.

The raucous show, which began at 10:40pm (BST) and ended just after midnight, saw the band play classics including 'God Save The Queen', ''Anarchy In The UK' and 'Pretty Vacant'.

"Good evening Isle Of Wight," Lydon said as he took the stage wearing a baggy stripy top and clutching a black book. "Tonight we will be singing songs from the book of Sod's law. Sing along or f***ing die."

The band then played a cheesy pop version of 'Pretty Vacant', before launching into the full rock version. Guitarist Steve Jones was sporting a t-shirt emblazoned with the 'God Save The Queen' logo, while drummer Paul Cook wore the logo on his black hoodie.

"Reserve that for Gazza," Lydon said before leading his band through 'New York', referring to applause from the crowd. "He's back in. He's done a lot of good things for England – apart from signing for Tottenham. He's one of us, don't let the posh bastards grind you down."

Later in the set the outspoken singer complained about the quality of bands on the festival bill, saying there were "still f***ing homo bands coming up here."

He then berated the crowd for not cheering loud enough. "You really are f***ing quiet," he said. "You're killing the buzz. Are you getting revved up for The Police or something? And I do mean both those bumholes in blue."

Lydon went on to dedicate the band's cover of Iggy Pop's 'No Fun' to the man who sang the original. Pop had played the song on the main stage earlier in the day with his own band, The Stooges.

"There's not much fanny here," Lydon moaned after finishing the song. "It's all blokes. Put your tits away – I'm in trouble with the courts of law for that sort of thing."

After playing 'EMI' The Sex Pistols walked off stage, then returned for an extended version of 'Anarchy In The UK'. The crowd (including Ian Brown, who cheered from the guest area) sang along loudly to the death, continuing to do so as the band members apart from the singer left the stage again, leaving only Lydon and the audience bellowing out the song together.

The Sex Pistols played:

'Pretty Vacant (alternative version)'
'Pretty Vacant'
'Bodies'
'Baghdad Was A Blast'
'I'm A Lazy Sod'
'New York'
'No Feeling'
'Liar'
'Holidays In The Sun'
'Submission'
'(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone'
'No Fun'
'Problems'
'God Save The Queen'
'EMI'
'Anarchy In The UK'
'Silver Machine'

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Even though I wrote for it regularly I would have to say that 'Seaside Saga' always struck me as the lamest name for a football fanzine (sorry Jackie!). There were so many great fanzine names out there at the time (most sadly escape me!):

10,000 Holes (Blackburn)
Through the Wind and the Rain (Liverpool)
Not the 5,232 (or something similiar, a Bournemouth? fanzine taking a pop at their fairweather fans who'd turned up for a glory cup fixture but the crowd for their next home league fixture was 5,232? down)
Who Ate All The Pies? (can't remember who?)

I'm sure NSC can remember some better titles than those though...

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I have to agree with Tom Hark on some, if not all of his points.

I quite enjoyed the latest Brighton fanzine and this isn't a criticism of that but I can't help feeling fanzines in general have been made a bit redundant by websites like this.

Maybe before there was not the forum to discuss things like there is now but campaigning / informative issues aside isn't it all a bit self-indulgent? Like many of the posts on here come to think of it...

And as for the punk fanzines Tom Hark is spot on. So many of the fanzines which sprung up did so when punk had already been diluted and perverted and was, if anything, on its way out. In order to warrant the dozens of fanzines which sprung up round it it had to have reached the mainstream. When it did this it died a death.

The original punk fanzines were trailblazers. By the time they were being imitated (like the very bands they had been writing about) most of the talented writers had moved on and wouldn't have been caught dead writing for the new titles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here