Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Fans vs Ticket Window ****Official Bun Fight Thread****

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Reasonable point but you’re comparing apples with oranges. Marseille away, penned in with very heavy restrictions away from the game, is not what a European trip is about for the vast majority of people - as slow ticket sales showed. A total anomaly. It’s unfortunate we drew them and reduced the number of enjoyable (or, more accurately, ‘safe’) looking away matches to 2 - almost anywhere else would have been better. It is sold out now so it’s good that some who otherwise wouldn’t get to take the plunge.
It might not be what it's about for the vast majority of people, but sadly that's the reality of a European trip to watch football. Ajax has also got some heavy restrictions, as will AEK. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Your argument comes unstuck when you look at the tiering points for Marseille which were different, starting at 308 points rather than 265.

As for all your comments about not looking at club comms, I think we can just consign those to the file marked ‘patronizing’.
The comments on Marseille overlooks the point that many people preregistered but then didn't go on to purchase a ticket

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Reasonable point but you’re comparing apples with oranges. Marseille away, penned in with very heavy restrictions away from the game, is not what a European trip is about for the vast majority of people - as slow ticket sales showed. A total anomaly. It’s unfortunate we drew them and reduced the number of enjoyable (or, more accurately, ‘safe’) looking away matches to 2 - almost anywhere else would have been better. It is sold out now so it’s good that some who otherwise wouldn’t get to take the plunge.
It did not sell out though, the remaining tickets were withdrawn from sale due to the time factor of the game being so close.
Personally i decided last year, and said as much to my friends, that it did not matter where the first game was or indeed if i could get a ticket i was going to be there. I know what you are saying about security issues etc is true, but what surprised me the most was that about half the people who registered in the top tier did not buy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you're comparing Marseille and Ajax then you have to compare Tiers 1 and 2 for Marseille with Tier 1 at Ajax.

The club divided the "guaranteed a seat if you want one" into two tiers for Marseille, giving the very top points holders the pick of the seats.

My guess is they merged these tiers for Ajax as they have data showing a lot of Marseille Tier 1s waited for Tier 2 in order that they could buy with others who didn't have as many points as they did.
That is the fairest theory I’ve heard to date, but as we’re all unclear on how many fans have how many points we won’t know.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Different question - should loyalty points be awarded for this match? I’m tier 2 (250 points) and desperately wanted to go. Am I now less ‘loyal’ because someone on 220 points got lucky and I didn’t?

They're not called LOYALTY points any more though, only people calling them that are posters on NSC.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That is the fairest theory I’ve heard to date, but as we’re all unclear on how many fans have how many points we won’t know.
We know most of it is true...

Tiers 1 and 2 for Marseille were guaranteed a seat. Tiers 3 and below were depending on availability.
Tier 1 for Ajax was guaranteed a seat. Tiers 2 and below were depending on availability.

It's my guess as to why the club made the change as we all saw Tier 1 take-up for Marseille was quite low, with Tier 2 relatively high, which could indicate some Tiers 1s had waited to buy.

The reason doesn't really matter - we knew which tier(s) were guaranteed a seat, which is why Marseille Tiers 1 and 2 = Ajax Tier 1.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We couldn't! Christ it’s like listening to Trump!! No matter how many times you say it, you are still wrong!

Well the person telling me this is lying then and they have absolutely no reason to lie. So politely, fark off

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From a selfish point of view, I'm tier 3 and would have loved to have gone to the Ajax away game, been a STH for decades but struggle to get to away games, so going away is a special occasion for me wherever it may be. It's obviously a fair system, but I can't help feeling it's unfair to those who have committed themselves to watch the Albion for years, only to be trumped by someone who may have had a ST for one season but went to a few away fixtures.

Back in the day, I went away to a lot of games, mostly in League one/two. I think I'm more loyal than someone who decided to glory hunt with the Albion who bought a ST from last season.

Yes I'm bitter. f*** you guys. :D
I think you have a point, although no system is ever going to be perfect. They do carry over points from previous seasons (halved). But I've always thought there should be bonus points for anyone who had a season ticket at Withdean or Gillingham.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
I didn't get a ticket (221 points in tier 2) and am gutted. But i think the system is pretty fair.

I would go to lots of away games, but time and family means that is not possible. It does not make me any less loyal than someone who does, but at the same time me getting a ticket before them would be unfair.

I do think that it was a bit unfair to let tier 1 have 3 days to buy, there should have been a cut off point or the windows in sequential days.

Also i don't understand that i was on it as soon as it went live this morning and selected tickets within seconds, yet wasnt available each time. And the fact the ticketing AI decided i was not a human as i kept refreshing the page. How the feck else am i supposed to do it!?

Hey ho, am still going and will be watching in some sports bar with hopefully unhappy Ajax fans.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I think you have a point, although no system is ever going to be perfect. They do carry over points from previous seasons (halved). But I've always thought there should be bonus points for anyone who had a season ticket at Withdean or Gillingham.
It was more a mini-rant and a little tongue in cheek, it was cathartic just to air my frustration. Personally, if you went away to any of these places, you should be top of the list.

Walsall
Grimsby
Carlisle
Portsmouth :jester:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Gutted not to get a ticket, think the system is fair and looking forward to watching in an Amsterdam bar.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From a selfish point of view, I'm tier 3 and would have loved to have gone to the Ajax away game, been a STH for decades but struggle to get to away games, so going away is a special occasion for me wherever it may be. It's obviously a fair system, but I can't help feeling it's unfair to those who have committed themselves to watch the Albion for years, only to be trumped by someone who may have had a ST for one season but went to a few away fixtures.

Back in the day, I went away to a lot of games, mostly in League one/two. I think I'm more loyal than someone who decided to glory hunt with the Albion who bought a ST from last season.

Yes I'm bitter. f*** you guys. :D
No-one who had a ST for one season will be in T1 if they've only done a 'few away games' - even if they'd done all of them they'd still be well short.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
No-one who had a ST for one season will be in T1 if they've only done a 'few away games' - even if they'd done all of them they'd still be well short.
OK then, how about someone who's had a ST since we got promoted into the PL... anyway, as I've said previously it's tongue-in-cheek, I know where I stand as an inferior fan to the rest of you gold standard types.

Just don't like seeing glory-hunters being awarded more points to those who went through the war years.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Gutted not to get a ticket, think the system is fair and looking forward to watching in an Amsterdam bar.

Will to see where all the ticketless fans will be congregating! Might be worth setting up a post on here for us all. If i cant go to the match, the next best thing would be a bar full of Albion fans.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It might not be what it's about for the vast majority of people, but sadly that's the reality of a European trip to watch football. Ajax has also got some heavy restrictions, as will AEK. I'm not sure what people are expecting.
I’ve watched football all over Europe and never had a problem blending in so not sure I agree with that. 15-20+ countries without working it out. Arrangements in Marseille did not appeal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
OK then, how about someone who's had a ST since we got promoted into the PL... anyway, as I've said previously it's tongue-in-cheek, I know where I stand as an inferior fan to the rest of you gold standard types.

Just don't like seeing glory-hunters being awarded more points to those who went through the war years.
When's the cut off in your ideal world ? The war years literally lost the club a generation of supporters - which they're now recovering with new kids on the block.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm in the same boat (actually a tier 3 boat) but with travel and hotel booked. I have no complaints about the system.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I can only assume that you don't often look to buy tickets for big events. As someone has already mentioned elsewhere on this thread, Glastonbury tickets are a real bun fight. My son has gone to Glastonbury a few times, and all his group have as many devices open as possible for when tickets go on sale, and even then there's no guarantee of getting a ticket.

How do you know that the threshold of 220 was too low, given that the club have not published the spread of points from those that pre-registered, only that those in tier 1 were guaranteed a ticket. I see this as no different to away games at small grounds (Bournemouth and Brentford) and there will be an huge scramble if any Luton away tickets go to tier 2 later in the season.

If the system can cope with the number of people signing on, there is zero need for a queuing system, as everyone is in the same position when the window becomes open.

The sold out position view really depends on how in tune with club comms you are and how well you can remember what they have stated previously. I checked on Sunday and knew then that there were around 350 tickets left. The change to sold out didn't worry me too much as I knew that if people were looking to reserve tickets for tier 2 friends, that the club would clear the system, so that all those eligible to buy when the window opened would all have the same chance.

The interesting thing is whether the club can see who in tier 1 were trying to beat the system by putting tickets in their baskets before 9 am to then allocate these tickets to friends and family. If they can, do they issue a warning email about this inappropriate action, or issue a more severe punishment.

At least the club do not use dynamic pricing, otherwise with all those looking to get a ticket would have seen £29 tickets being inflated to around £2900.

There will always be winners and losers but the loyalty system has been in place for years and works very well. It's just that from time to time demand far exceeds availability.
Spot on

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
When's the cut off in your ideal world ? The war years literally lost the club a generation of supporters - which they're now recovering with new kids on the block.
If the new kids on the block smell of blueberry vape then they can f*** off too...

:jester:

Please take note of the jester, this denotes I am having a little joke and not to be taken seriously.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I be the first to say that three of us went to Gillingham most games in crowds that struggled to top 2k and am seriously pissed that we didn’t get Ajax tickets. :lolol:

Being a bit decrepit I don’t make many away games these days which has done for me on the points

Oh well, I reckon I have saved myself around £600 but still have a European trip to watch the Albion on my bucket list and no I’m not going to Athens!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here