Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Fans vs Ticket Window ****Official Bun Fight Thread****

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Generally speaking I think the loyalty scheme is the right way to deal with away ticketing. I recognized being in tier 2 with my wife in tier 3 we were unlikely to get tickets for Ajax. Just one thing concerns me a bit. Effectively the same individuals get tickets for all three of these "special" games. Perhaps it would be "fairer" if those who got tickets for Marseille were put down into tier 2 for Ajax so a wider group of fans got the chance to experience the "special" games? Just a thought- it would not affect me as the wife being in tier 3 would scupper our chances anyway.
I don't think that's true. I'm going to Ajax but not Marseille. Quite a few others are too. People doing all three will have a good amount of money, few commitments and the ability to take leave easily or work from anywhere. I would think that's incredibly few of our fan base. In fact I think I only know around three people intending on doing all three.

In fact I would say to any who missed out today, I hope you also registered for AEK. Even though the tier limits are different I can see it being much less of a bunfight.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm tier one so I'm alright Jack. But totally agree with those that say 220 was too low. Seems wrong that someone on much higher points may have missed out to someone on 220. I get there is a time issue here but they could have split the second tier across three windows at 9am, 12pm and 3pm today or something. Feels a bit unfair.

As I said, don't have an issue with those people in tier 1 getting tickets. There's not going to be a system that works for everyone. It's just unfortunate this system works badly for me because of the need to make a living. I hope they continue to gear tier 2 at a level that gives a chance to home fans who can only get to a few away games each season. That seems fair to me - but won't to those who had 250 points. Just the way it is.
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. And I totally agree, tier 2 should be reasonably competitive. I may well move a few things around now to go to more aways, tho not primarily to get tickets for big games like Ajax, just because my son is old enough now to really enjoy the atmosphere of away ends over home games and that's a key push for me. I got through the Taylor Swift scramble to get tickets for my daughter not so long ago, the boy will have to wait a bit longer for his Taylor Swift moment but with a bit of effort and planning it should come eventually

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Generally speaking I think the loyalty scheme is the right way to deal with away ticketing. I recognized being in tier 2 with my wife in tier 3 we were unlikely to get tickets for Ajax. Just one thing concerns me a bit. Effectively the same individuals get tickets for all three of these "special" games. Perhaps it would be "fairer" if those who got tickets for Marseille were put down into tier 2 for Ajax so a wider group of fans got the chance to experience the "special" games? Just a thought- it would not affect me as the wife being in tier 3 would scupper our chances anyway.
It's a nice thought but I'm not sure those who go week in week out at the moment would agree.

The loyalty system has been in place for several years now we all know how it works. If you go to games you get points. If you don't you don't. Just because people have been doing that over the last few years makes them more loyal currently than someone who doesn't go as much. I used to be a near 100%er in the late 90s early 2000s. But a lack of decent away days and my motivation to watch football these days means I don't have a great deal of points. Am I less of a fan than the 20 year old who has been going the last few years week in week out.....yes I am! That person deserves first dibs on tickets.

Given we didn't even sell out Marseille is it any wonder the club set the bar as low as 220?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Three things I think the club could reflect on:

First having a threshold of 220 point was too low. I'd have set it higher.
Next not having a queuing system. You need it for parity.
Next letting tier 1 holders bag tickets for friends - even if they couldn't buy them - thus making it look like it was sold out before 9am.

That is something that could be assessed for the future.
I can only assume that you don't often look to buy tickets for big events. As someone has already mentioned elsewhere on this thread, Glastonbury tickets are a real bun fight. My son has gone to Glastonbury a few times, and all his group have as many devices open as possible for when tickets go on sale, and even then there's no guarantee of getting a ticket.

How do you know that the threshold of 220 was too low, given that the club have not published the spread of points from those that pre-registered, only that those in tier 1 were guaranteed a ticket. I see this as no different to away games at small grounds (Bournemouth and Brentford) and there will be an huge scramble if any Luton away tickets go to tier 2 later in the season.

If the system can cope with the number of people signing on, there is zero need for a queuing system, as everyone is in the same position when the window becomes open.

The sold out position view really depends on how in tune with club comms you are and how well you can remember what they have stated previously. I checked on Sunday and knew then that there were around 350 tickets left. The change to sold out didn't worry me too much as I knew that if people were looking to reserve tickets for tier 2 friends, that the club would clear the system, so that all those eligible to buy when the window opened would all have the same chance.

The interesting thing is whether the club can see who in tier 1 were trying to beat the system by putting tickets in their baskets before 9 am to then allocate these tickets to friends and family. If they can, do they issue a warning email about this inappropriate action, or issue a more severe punishment.

At least the club do not use dynamic pricing, otherwise with all those looking to get a ticket would have seen £29 tickets being inflated to around £2900.

There will always be winners and losers but the loyalty system has been in place for years and works very well. It's just that from time to time demand far exceeds availability.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I don't think that's true. I'm going to Ajax but not Marseille. Quite a few others are too. People doing all three will have a good amount of money, few commitments and the ability to take leave easily or work from anywhere. I would think that's incredibly few of our fan base. In fact I think I only know around three people intending on doing all three.

In fact I would say to any who missed out today, I hope you also registered for AEK. Even though the tier limits are different I can see it being much less of a bunfight.
Agree, let's see what it's like for AEK. Suggest the demand will drop significantly.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yes, I'm saying this as someone going to all three, but anyone could have bought a ticket to Marseille? It didn't even sell out. If anyone missed out due to cost, fear, wrong time of year or whatever, well that's just unfortunate. Or do you want to pick and choose what "special" game you want to experience?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I got a ticket for Marseille and they were not sold out, they were available until the remaining were removed for timing reasons. So anyone who could afford to go either finanacially and work schedule woud be able to attend. I was in Tier 2 for Ajax. I only just managed to get a single ticket, the freinds I am going with have not be so lucky they are also in tier 2. If am in Tier 2 again for AEK then that is fine if the points are done the same as before, then I accept that.

To be honest I think people who went to Aston Villa away should be in Tier 1 beause of the Sh!t show the poor buggers had to endure on Saturday.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I'm swayed because a fair few of the people I know who qualify for all these matches had next to no interest in the Albion before the club moved to the Amex. Just a passing interest in their local club but they'd go to watch Premier League football instead. Don't begrudge them their tickets - it is what it is - but I'm glad to have at least been in the mix. I think the loyalty points approach works across a normal season as there are 20+ games and it's usually possible to get to a few. For this, with potentially only 3 matches and possibly for the only time in our history, I don't think the system works so well. It would be interesting to know how many people with high loyalty points don't attend home games (thereby contributing precisely nothing to the club). Maybe not many at all but I do suspect some prioritise away matches for the craic - and the bonus of being able to get to the glamour cup ties.

After missing out what I’d like now is first dibs at tier 2 Athens tickets however I appreciate I wouldn’t be saying that had I been successful. (also it won’t happen)

My bitterness is aimed fairly and squarely with myself, the family and I booked all our travel/accommodation and time off work based where we fancied going without considering tickets. I’m cursing myself as it seems every sort of 50/50 decision I made was the wrong one. This has been a massive learning curve.

I’ve always stated if we had a good run in this and I managed to get in for just one away, I’d have done well.

I can blame “the system” as much as I like but ultimately I’m blaming my own tactics for letting me down thus far.
Trueblue, you said for this 3 matches and possibly the ONLY time in our history you did not think the system worked. However can i point out that, what i think is being alluded to by Peacehaven Wild Kids, there were some 400 tickets that remained unsold for Marseille. So that means that ANY Albion supporter could have got a ticket to our FIRST EVER competitive game in Europe even an american student studying in Spain i think it was!
I was completely staggered that we could not sell this out and i wonder now how many regret not going for it and instead putting all their eggs in one basket i.e. Ajax as Athens will be even fewer available.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
With all respect, I have accured the points through trips to Newcastle on a thursday, Barnsley on a tuesday (although those don't count for much anymore). These games are special but the people who bother to turn up at these long northern away trips every week deserve the priority.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I was on a Thameslink to St Pancras, got in at 09:00 then hit a mobile signal dead zone passing Selhurst (should've guessed they don't have reliable internet yet...) and by the time I reconnected it was sold out. Sounds like I'd have been very lucky to get through the system in time on a phone anyway.

I find it slightly ironic that I've missed out on Ajax because I'm on the way to Marseille, and that's because I thought I didn't have a hope of getting Ajax tickets whereas if I'd binned off Marseille and stayed at home I might have done.

On the other hand I'm going to have a nice short break in Avignon then see the Albion play in Marseille, which would've sounded like crazy talk just a few years ago, so I can't moan.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
With all respect, I have accured the points through trips to Newcastle on a thursday, Barnsley on a tuesday (although those don't count for much anymore). These games are special but the people who bother to turn up at these long northern away trips every week deserve the priority.
This is where the word ‘loyalty’ is wrong IMO. I’ve done all the nasty aways but not for the past decade or so due to changed family commitments. I now get to 4-5 aways per season. I know that over time I’ll go back to 80% of aways again. Calling it ‘away points’ or similar would be less annoying to me personally.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
In reply to who you replied to, surely if you go Marseille you have more right to go to Ajax than someone who didn't fancy it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Different question - should loyalty points be awarded for this match? I’m tier 2 (250 points) and desperately wanted to go. Am I now less ‘loyal’ because someone on 220 points got lucky and I didn’t?
Same applies to any over-subscribed EPL game........ :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

You're right. I am fortunate that I can afford it and have the flexibility in my work to be able to do all three. But most I speak to targeted the Ajax game as the one they could go to for affordability, ease of getting to, quality of opposition. It was always going to be a bunfight.

I see PB has confirmed there will be no further allocation btw.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Different question - should loyalty points be awarded for this match? I’m tier 2 (250 points) and desperately wanted to go. Am I now less ‘loyal’ because someone on 220 points got lucky and I didn’t?
The best way for you to move up the food chain, if you have not got one, would be to buy and attend the everton away game. that is 15 points and would put you in Teir 1. people going to Ajax with 220 points will get 5 points so will still be in Teir 2. If you go to Everton you will have 265, that would have quilified you for tier 1.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
It is indeed. I'm not moaning, I got a ticket. But I do think the random queuing system was fairer.

Or better still, let's have an actual queue down Queens Road, and the earlier you get there, the further towards the front of the queue you are. That will test people's loyalty.
been there, done that... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Cardiff play off final, happened for Last game at Goldstone too.. I had to bunk of college to get a ticket for the Doncaster game.... :LOL::LOL:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Here's my suggestion:

- Invite all fans that want to go to apply for the ticket lottery with a closing date (we sort of had this with the expression of interest)​
- Set the tiers and have more of them (I think the 220 scooped up a mighty group which was always going to lead to a bun fight) to reward people with more loyalty points​
- Set Tier One so that they can all get a ticket if they want one​
- Any remaining tickets are available for the next tier​
- All in the next tier get a ticket unless there are too many in the lottery who qualify. If so, names drawn at random​
- If tickets still remain, tickets are available for the next tier​
- All in the next tier get a ticket unless there are too many in the lottery who qualify. If so, names drawn at random​
- and so on until all the itckets have gone​
- email all in the lottery to let them know if they got a ticket​

Removes the ticket site scrum and the stress. Evryone knows the rules and has the same chance of getting a ticket. "Loyal" fans get a better chance of getting a ticket (eg someone with 259 would be in a higher tier than someone with 220). We all know where we stand
Would take some time to do and lots of work for the club to manage - problem being people registering so as not to miss the opportunity if their situation changes and they are able to go - Marseille is a perfect example of that.

If the pre-registration carried an obligation to purchase (pre-payment details used if succesful) then what you suggest could work well. If there were those that could no longer go then a cancellation policy with admin fee and points reduction equivalent to the ticket points (5 in this case) would deal with such cases, put folk off chancing it in future and enable further sales to be made.

The 2300ish allocation in this case would go to the top 2300 loyalty point holders - but imagine the moaning when folk find out there weren't enough for all those with 178 points so some with that tally were succesful, others werent.... Its an impossible challenge to get completely right and I think the way the clubs dealt with it is pretty fair really. The problem is peoples behaviours - e.g. registering with no real plans to go (see Marseille) and trying to screw the system by holding tickets for Tier 2 folk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here