Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Commentary online?

Wardy8

Jan 22, 2009
Does anyone know how, without subscribing to the apallingly bad Seagulls Player, I can listen to match commentaries online. I am based in Devon, so cannot pick up the signal from BBC Southern Counties on the radio itself. Tried getting onto the BBC online site to listen on Saturday, but only managed to get coverage of the Crawley match. Any help would be really appreciated. I have had no end of problems with Seagulls World/Player and now refuse to pay out for something that offers such a shocking lack of support.

The short answer is no you can't. Southern Counties online only have commentaries of non-league, as there is an agreement between the BBC and the football league that all local league commentaries aren't available online, so the clubs can charge fans to have to listen to the likes of seagulls world.

Wardy8

Jan 22, 2009
Thanks Sten-Super. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and try Seagulls Player again - apparently it is "brilliant"!:lol:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Does anyone know how, without subscribing to the apallingly bad Seagulls Player, I can listen to match commentaries online.

I would agree that Seagulls Player is a complete bag o' shite. If they got their act together I'd subscribe but not with its current track record.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
, so the clubs can charge fans to have to listen to the likes of seagulls world.

Don't think it is "so the clubs can charge", they have to charge, I believe it is a licensing issue.

Try to be a little balanced, not everything the club does is to piss the fans off. The club don't have to offer it at all, then you would get nothing if you are outside the region, just like it used to be. These systems are set up, beleive it or not, to benefit fans who are not local, and as far as I remember, football is a commercial operation, so it is unlikely to ever be free. Watching the match live is not free, listening to it on BBC Sussex is not free.

The comments that Seagulls Player is shite should not be directed at the club, the system is run by outside contractors, FL Interactive, who are a subsidiary of the Football League, and who have the contract for the entire football league, it is they who should be complained too.

Last edited:

Don;t think it is so the clubs can charge, they have to charge, I believe it is a licensing issue. Try to be a little balanced, not everything the club does is to piss the fans off. The club don't have to offer it at all, then you would get nothing if you are outside the region.

I wasn't having a go at our club in particular. I'm not privvy to the exact ins and outs, but I have to pay on the club official website to access the commentary from them, so to me the consumer that is the club.

You know as well as I do that if the club did not offer it (or rather, if the clubs as a whole did not offer it) then the commentaries would be available on the BBC, as they are if you live in the regions. I'm sorry but it's a money making scam from someone that we have to pay for them at all.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
then the commentaries would be available on the BBC, as they are if you live in the regions. I'm sorry but it's a money making scam from someone that we have to pay for them at all.

They would never be available in the regions, just as BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK. As I said, it is all about football league licensing, the rights to broadcast have been set, and the BBC do not have the rights to do so outside of the regions. The Football League have made sure of that. Premier League matches can be broadcast nationwide, as we know, on BBC 5 Live, for which the BBC pays handsomely.

Yes, it is a money making endevour, but it is not run by the Albion. The good old Football League are the perps, but do they care? Probably not, it's a commercial world, we are merely here to provide funds for them.

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Does anyone know how, without subscribing to the apallingly bad Seagulls Player, I can listen to match commentaries online. I am based in Devon, so cannot pick up the signal from BBC Southern Counties on the radio itself. Tried getting onto the BBC online site to listen on Saturday, but only managed to get coverage of the Crawley match. Any help would be really appreciated. I have had no end of problems with Seagulls World/Player and now refuse to pay out for something that offers such a shocking lack of support.

A friggin begging letter. Cheap SOB.

They would never be available in the regions, just as BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK. As I said, it is all about football league licensing, the rights to broadcast have been set, and the BBC do not have the rights to do so outside of the regions. The Football League have made sure of that. Premier League matches can be broadcast nationwide, as we know, on BBC 5 Live, for which the BBC pays handsomely.

Yes, it is a money making endevour, but it is not run by the Albion. The good old Football League are the perps, but do they care? Probably not, it's a commercial world, we are merely here to provide funds for them.

I agree with everything you say. The broadcasting rights are split up to maximise profits; the reason that iPlayer is not available is because the BBC like to hawk their wares overseas, and don't want people to be able to get it free. We don't even get it free in this country, we have to pay the bloody TV tax!

I accept that its not the Albion's decision, and it was never my intention to do so. However I do think it's outrageous that the FL restrict the rights in such a way, just to eek out some more money from put-upon supporters.

What's wrong with Seagull player? MUCH better than it used to be and hardly going to break the bank at a quid a week.

The ONLY way to get commentary on the games if you are outside of Sussex.

Nobody complained more than I did when it was crap but it's fine now, give it a try

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Seagulls Player appears to be a vast improvement over Seagulls World. I've been using Seagulls Player on my Mac and the sound quality seems to be better with less drop outs.

Being an ex-pat means that I have no choice but to purchase a yearly subscription if I want to listen to the Albion games.

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Another match,same old question.

No there is no other way apart from coffing up for Seagulls player....i have no problems with it and as another excile i think its well worth the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here