Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion aims for 2023

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The last month was.

the middle bit was gash

IF we can match or closely match last season come MAy It will be a huge achievement after the upheaval.

Next season could see us pushing towards a potential Europe spot, if one of the over inflated teams burst ( thinking Spuds/Newcstle, maybe Chelsea)
Last month? :facepalm:

It's been pretty damn good from April to December!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Same as always for me

Stay up
Beat Palace
Decent Cup run

The last 3.5 seasons have been great to watch, but Potter failed in 2 of my top 3.
Chrissy Hughts' last season had them all.

Hoping De Zerbi can eclipse him in his first season.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
so... we've just come off the best year in our history. obviously, our current path is more than okay, but what would YOU like to see the Albion achieve this year??

(realistic and unrealistic aims both equally welcome)
With a new manager and his team in place? Anything above 10th would be brilliant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Same as always for me

Stay up
Beat Palace
Decent Cup run

The last 3.5 seasons have been great to watch, but Potter failed in 2 of my top 3.
Chrissy Hughts' last season had them all.

Hoping De Zerbi can eclipse him in his first season.
If these are your go to three (and I haven't thought of anything that is that much better), does this mean that you enjoyed CH season 2 more than the other four PL seasons? For me, it was the worst.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
so... we've just come off the best year in our history. obviously, our current path is more than okay, but what would YOU like to see the Albion achieve this year??

(realistic and unrealistic aims both equally welcome)
Keep hold of Mac and Moises til the summer and spend the time identifying who will replace them. Both ready made replacents and maybe a few for the future. Enzo whatsisface is reportedly joining Chelsea for 130m do we have a benchmark for a young midfield World Cup winner. Should get 200m for the pair in my opinion.

Then push for Europe, sign colwill and give all our promising youngsters more time, Gilmour, Sarmiento, Enciso, Ferguson. Show yiu g players that we aren't just a stepping stone but a chance to get into Europe.

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
Would like a top 7 finish but more than happy to stay up. More game time for Ferguson with a view to a season long loan in the Championship next season.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Minority I expect but no Europe for me. I personally do t think we have the strength in depth to compete yet. I understand argument more talent will come but won’t stop the lure of champions league football for those who will simply throw money to stop l,Ayers playing against the. (Chelsea, city etc).

Top half finish

Keep either/both MacAlister and Caicedo

Finish above Palace and Chelsea

Arsenal to win the league. Not because I like them at all but it’ll be nice to see someone other than city/Liverpool do it And they seem the most likely at the moment.
Something shit about not playing on Saturdays as well, imagine the Sunday service carnage to the Amex

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If these are your go to three (and I haven't thought of anything that is that much better), does this mean that you enjoyed CH season 2 more than the other four PL seasons? For me, it was the worst.
Overall I think Potter's 2nd was the worst, in many ways.
People forget how close we were to relegation.

Comparing the worst period (my guess) of both Manager's seasons
Potter - Nov 2019 - March 2020
Hughts - Jan - May 2019

I'd take Chris's FA Cup Semi and 1-2 at Palace every time.
Even when having to endure the Bournemouth rout and Cardiff debacle.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Overall I think Potter's 2nd was the worst, in many ways.
People forget how close we were to relegation.

Comparing the worst period (my guess) of both Manager's seasons
Potter - Nov 2019 - March 2020
Hughts - Jan - May 2019

I'd take Chris's FA Cup Semi and 1-2 at Palace every time.
Even when having to endure the Bournemouth rout and Cardiff debacle.
I see where you're coming from, but I have a different view: the football in CH2 was dire throughout the season. We stayed up courtesy of three one nil wins on the trot, none of which were really warranted (however much I lapped them up at the time). I could always see what GP and the club were up to, when we weren't winning; all I saw was decline during CH2.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
More rigorous checking of away fans with correct tickets

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I see where you're coming from, but I have a different view: the football in CH2 was dire throughout the season. We stayed up courtesy of three one nil wins on the trot, none of which were really warranted (however much I lapped them up at the time). I could always see what GP and the club were up to, when we weren't winning; all I saw was decline during CH2.
Yeah Agreed with that.

Purely as a fan, I was gutted by CH's sacking - but my expectations were small.
Tony saw the writing on the wall and acted accordingly. In all of our best interests,

My expectations are much higher now. I love being entertained as well as just turning up to supporting the boys.
But my season priorities are still:
  • stay up
  • beat palace
  • decent Cup Run
I would still settle for a Top 14 -17 finish, in exchange for 4+ points from Palace
Possibly would settle for just 2 pts from Palace for a top 7 finish though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yeah Agreed with that.

Purely as a fan, I was gutted by CH's sacking - but my expectations were small.
Tony saw the writing on the wall and acted accordingly. In all of our best interests,

My expectations are much higher now. I love being entertained as well as just turning up to supporting the boys.
But my season priorities are still:
  • stay up
  • beat palace
  • decent Cup Run
I would still settle for a Top 14 -17 finish, in exchange for 4+ points from Palace
Possibly would settle for just 2 pts from Palace for a top 7 finish though.
Tis all fair. I also loved CH, and still do. Like GP, he made enormous strides for the club. I turned against him after the Bournemouth-Cardiff combo, but was reluctant to do so. As ever, Tony read the situation better than me and allowed him to grind out the points to survival, while finding a suitable successor.
Our squad was just not up to another PL campaign and something drastic needed to change. I was and remain a big GP fan too, and loved the way he transformed the squad to one that was younger, quicker, infinitely more athletic and dynamic, and far more technical.
You've forced me to identify what is the key goal for me and it's just more of that squad development -- because it yields so many other benefits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here