Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion agreed to Reading's offer for Gus Poyet?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm quite aware of what does, and doesn't, constitute gross misconduct. Trust me when I say that alone wouldn't have resulted in dismissal. Especially considering the circumstances around having just lost a massive game when emotions run high. That alone most certainly didn't get him sacked. If it did then we'd be quite rightly off to tribunal.

Trust me, does this help explain it better?

Angry at the Uruguayan manager's email, which also criticised a decision to hand out free clappers to fans ahead of the game, executives suspended him along with assistant Mauricio Taricco.

Read here

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Ah, the colour of Gus :lolol: I previously assumed that Gus was fired because he had spoken to Reading without permission. That at least would match a 'gross misconduct' charge. There seem to be a number of respected people here saying that we did give permission to speak to him, with the possibility now floated that the board wanted him to go. So where that leaves this situation now I really don't know.

The irony is that people got upset with him for apparently wanting to jump ship, and yet if this is true the club wanted him gone and he wanted to stay. He was the eighth longest serving manager in the country, had apparently turned down a higher-level club on more than one occasion (unlike Coppell, Horton, Adams), and yet and yet and yet :bangs head:

he's gone, no-one knows why, c'est la football.

The irony is that people got upset with him for apparently wanting to jump ship, and yet if this is true the club wanted him gone and he wanted to stay. He was the eighth longest serving manager in the country, had apparently turned down a higher-level club on more than one occasion (unlike Coppell, Horton, Adams), and yet and yet and yet :bangs head:

Seems to be a rumour here not unassociated with the fish-shop (the source of stories in the past) that the "gross misconduct" was not Poyet going or not to Reading but some transfer business later involving an ex-Albion player (on loan) being then signed for Reading. Not sure how Poyet could have grossly misconducted himself in that transaction but..

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I don't know what is so complicated:

Gross misconduct; Most employers would identify intoxication (whether from drink or drugs), fighting or other physical abuse, indecent behaviour, theft, dishonesty, sabotage, serious breaches of health and safety rules, offensive behaviour (such as discrimination, harassment, bullying, abuse and violence) and gross insubordination as examples of gross misconduct.

Insubordination meaning; defiance, dereliction, disregard, dissension, indiscipline, infringement, insurrection, mutiny, noncompliance, noncooperation, nonobservance, rebellion, revolt, revolution.

Publicly misrepresenting and slaughtering the club is gross insubordination thus gross misconduct.

His email was unforgivable and it deserved more than a don't do it again warning.

That's why I think this will go to court. Gus obviously felt that certain policy issues (like the blue and white boards handed out) were in his prerogative to gainsay as MANAGER. Note that Garcia despite Albion's formal dismissal of Poyet remains "HEAD COACH", inferring that his own levels of responsibility have in his contract been legally defined as distinct from those set out for Gus. Most people thought once Gus had formally left the club that Garcia would be confirmed as "Manager". Has he? Will he be?

The LMA may well press for this to be a test case, otherwise no doubt many other clubs will seek to get out of the compo mire by dismissing their Managers for similar "misconduct".

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Trust me, does this help explain it better?

Angry at the Uruguayan manager's email, which also criticised a decision to hand out free clappers to fans ahead of the game, executives suspended him along with assistant Mauricio Taricco.

Read here

An article with no direct quotes doesn't 'explain' anything, no. That email alone didn't get him sacked. That and the refusual to deal with the retained list (which is without any shadow of a doubt gross misconduct) may well have done.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Nail. On. Head.

The agenda of these stalwart supporters needs to be questioned. Maybe too close to Knight? I am sick and tired of their sniping at the current board. Put up or shut up, but STOP making snide remarks based on very little, if anything.

Says someone who posted this

Please take the specs off. Gus wanted out. He showed zero appreciation for his chairman's AMAZING support. No respect for the board, the fans. He got sacked (rightly). Just get over it. He ain't coming back!

Practice what you preach. This constant sniping at one of our most successful and loyal managers is grating. He's gone now, let him be.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Says someone who posted this

Practice what you preach. This constant sniping at one of our most successful and loyal managers is grating. He's gone now, let him be.

But he isn't far wrong. Besides he was right those clappers were rubbish :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here