Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion accounts 2021/22

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Theoretically I think, yes..

But I would question what exactly would external investors see as a great appeal to acquire a partial shareholding in the club?

I cannot imagine Tony selling the majority stake to a 3rd party.. so who would want to come in as a minority shareholder to a business that has not historically recorded profits, this year aside, and whose only means to grow revenues, to combat rising costs is to keep selling players or hope for better Tv deals.. as those are the only meaningful items on the revenue side, season tickets + commercial revenues will not adjust that much..!

Sportswashing PetroStates aside, not many shrewd investors would look at this current model and think wow what an opportunity?
Yet some thought Burnley and Bournemouth, for example, were?
I suppose the important word there is shrewd.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
24m profit? And people said the thermos flask ban wasn't about making money...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion have the lowest wage bill of any club reporting to date.

Of the clubs yet to report, will certainly be lower than Chels and Everton.

Highly probable to be lower than Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and Leeds

Expect only Burnley to be lower than the Albion.

For every £100 that Manchester United pay in wages, the Albion pay £29.94, yet we go into the FA Cup semi finals as underdogs but not by a long way.

1679489327365.png

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It could be due to timings of purchases (1 July to 30 June) but last season was the second biggest in the club's history in terms of acquisitions.

Player sales in 2021/22 were greater than those of all the previous seasons in the club's history added together.

1679489654232.png

1679489837460.png

Attachments

• 1679489824044.png
    1679489824044.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 27

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
It's only a short-term "improvement". You can delay the P&L impact, but you can't escape it entirely.

And that's where the sale of the player comes into play....

Say you buy a £100m player on a 5-year contract, but he turns out to be a bit of a flop. Two years later you sell him for £50m. At that point you still have £60m of P&L impact stored up for future years, £20m per year. So, the P&L impact of that sale isn't a nice £50m positive, but actually a £10m negative (£50m - £60m) as you now have to crystallise that remaining £60m as the "asset" has been disposed of.

Chelsea's approach may help them now, but in a few years it could all unwind quite horribly for them.
Its the hope that kills you

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It could be due to timings of purchases (1 July to 30 June) but last season was the second biggest in the club's history in terms of acquisitions.

Player sales in 2021/22 were greater than those of all the previous seasons in the club's history added together.

View attachment 158622

View attachment 158624
Incredible that this current year's player sales should also be greater than all previous seasons in the club's history added together, yet we're on course for our most succesful ever season!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It's only a short-term "improvement". You can delay the P&L impact, but you can't escape it entirely.

And that's where the sale of the player comes into play....

Say you buy a £100m player on a 5-year contract, but he turns out to be a bit of a flop. Two years later you sell him for £50m. At that point you still have £60m of P&L impact stored up for future years, £20m per year. So, the P&L impact of that sale isn't a nice £50m positive, but actually a £10m negative (£50m - £60m) as you now have to crystallise that remaining £60m as the "asset" has been disposed of.

Chelsea's approach may help them now, but in a few years it could all unwind quite horribly for them.
Going slightly OT, my guess is that these are the sort of maths that mean Chelsea cannot (yet) afford to sell Lukaku....they would realise a huge loss for FFP purposes, which clearly they don't want just now. Another year or so of amortisation might make a sale a possibility. In the meantime, the only thing that works financially is a loan deal (such as the one he's on at Inter).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Funny enough CEO’s are not paid as much as you might think by the big 6 . I’m lead to believe that PB is one of the highest paid CEO in the PL & wouldn’t get a massive pay rise even if he went to any of the so called big 6 teams .
Third highest in PL, but by far the best IMO.

1679492016906.png

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
These figures blow my mind. I reckon it was 2004 when I got my bonus for completing the graduate training scheme at the company I was at. I donated 350 quid of it (or something like that) to get my name on a seat in the new stadium if/when it was built. Obviously it was built and obviously it became name on the floor and later a name on the wall. But it is not even 20 years since the club was asking fans for donations to survive and now we are dealing with numbers like these. It is nuts.

I took a trip to the driving range with a mate who plays in the national league. They are changing rules of payments to players who get injured. That was almost us and now we are talking about our ceo being paid millions and millions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here