Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion accounts 2020/21 [Loss reduced to £53.4m from £67.2m ]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quite impressive to reduce our losses from the previous season from £67m to £53.4m for last year given we were in the Covid climate.

£120m loss in these last 2 seasons ain't bad given the circumstances, but also highlights why we can't go big on player signings.

Well done to the club though for bringing these figures down.

This. Highly impressive results given the season-long devastation wreaked by covid :clap2:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looking ahead

While our main priority must always be securing our status in the Premier League, we continue to make progress with our longer-term vision we first outlined in the summer of 2019.

Our vision is to be a top-ten Premier League club, and a top-four club in the Women’s Super League. We will achieve this by working together with smart recruitment in all areas, a productive academy, world-class facilities, and a sustainable budget - underpinned by our core values and supported by our fantastic fans and world class partners.

I must emphasise that this is a long-term, ambitious vision, and everyone at the club continues to work extremely hard every day to get there.

We move forward with spirit, togetherness and confidence, and we hope that the efforts of everyone at the club continue to make our supporters, partners and our wider community proud.

Tony Bloom

Great words from our owner and shows we can approach the future with both optimism and confidence. With he and PB at the club we are in very safe hands. A hugely impressive set of results given the circumstances.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If there is something else that could put me of PL football it is looking at those accounts. Joke and something wrong if you cant run a club on a £150m income. Just a gravy train for players and senior staff. Not long ago PB was earning £500k now I see £2m plus. Hope my £25 to share ticket helped.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone take football club headline numbers seriously? They are always seemingly huge losses. I get that showing a profit is not in the club's interest for tax reasons, but I just can't see how the average man on the street is supposed to draw any conclusion from them. The only thing I'm really interested in are what a club's annual salary is as a proportion of overall turnover.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If there is something else that could put me of PL football it is looking at those accounts. Joke and something wrong if you cant run a club on a £150m income. Just a gravy train for players and senior staff. Not long ago PB was earning £500k now I see £2m plus. Hope my £25 to share ticket helped.

Yup a lot of wrong, too much player/agent power. Like Alan Sugar said the money the club earns is like prune juice. Pretty much all increase in income ends up with players and agents, and if you try to detract from that you'll struggle to be successful on the pitch.

If Potter gets us relegated this season we are f**ked.

He wont since one single man cant get a football team relegated.

And Brighton would not be ****ed regardless. Tony has money, and parachute money and sales would cover a lot of the loss of going down.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Considering we made £60m in transfers out, we must have spent a considerable amount of money

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I think that the sale of Ben White comes under 2021/2022 but we still spent a lot on players for loaning out to other clubs. I just hope that we eventually get a return on this investment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Was that a £2M salary or include bonuses tied to performance goals? If so fair play - if Tony Bloom puts together a contract for a CEO and Vice Chairman that meets that level of pay up to him. Certainly got more for our money than the huge amounts wasted on Locadia or Ali J

We saw what happened with a poor CEO (Ken Brown) so I am sure Tony sees the value in a competent one rather than saving money for a poor one who loses you even more money

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
After these figures were produced, we did. £45m of the £50m for Ben White, went on Cucurella, Sima, Scherpen, and Mwepu.

Of the £13m for Burn (Wigan got £3m) and by the time tax is paid the club will have barely £6m or £7m left.

Not expecting hardly any expenditure this summer with Mitoma, Sima, Kozlowski, Khedra, Ostigard, Undav, Scherpen, and one or two others back in the summer. At least we'll have some fresh options next season.

The last note to the accounts (Post Balance Sheet Events) basically states that the net result of deals done since 30th June 2021 is just under £16m (positive) - so I guess that's primarily the White & Burn money, less fees paid for Undav, Koslowski and all the others.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

Many clubs in the same position of not worse.

Since 2009 Burnley must have got over a Billion pounds in parachute and Prem money, what have they done with it?
Hardly an expensive or massive squad and they certainly haven’t ploughed it into the ground.

All that money pissed up the wall on bang average players and parasite agents.

Big bang is coming, the whole thing is eating itself. Self preservation will be watchword and the big boys will be trying to grab a bigger share for themselves

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Primarily seems to be through increased broadcasting revenues: "Broadcasting income increased from £89.9m to £123.0m", but a chunk of that will be from the delayed 2019/20 games: "The final six games of the 2019-20 season were played in July 20, meaning a proportion of the broadcasting income for the 2019-20 season is reflected in the 2020-21 accounts."

Yes - it's difficult to work it out precisely from the details in the published accounts, but the 19/20 figures were significantly impacted by the deferment of the season into July 2020 (TV revenue in that year was £23m below the prior year [although some of that was due to the rebates paid to the broadcasters]). The deferred TV revenue then appears in the 20/21 financial year, thus artificially inflating the numbers we're now looking at. If you even things out, I doubt the underlying position improved in 20/21.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does anyone take football club headline numbers seriously? They are always seemingly huge losses. I get that showing a profit is not in the club's interest for tax reasons, but I just can't see how the average man on the street is supposed to draw any conclusion from them. The only thing I'm really interested in are what a club's annual salary is as a proportion of overall turnover.

Various dullards produce this data on a regular basis based on the accounts which Albion make public in full.
I’m sure they will be updating for 20/21

IMG_0283.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The group will quite possibly never pay corporation tax, already carrying £276m and growing of tax losses.

Having cost nowt, White’s £50m will reduce our tax loss for 2021/22, or turn it into a rare profit.

Yep.....hence my question if transfers are taxed differently - can't see how or why they would be and we haven't paid any corp tax for several years

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How are transfers taxed ? If we’re making losses, there won’t ordinarily be any tax due on operating income ?

TB has a bunch of companies in Panama, all shareholders of ALBION BUSINESS LIMITED https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/nodes/12009600

And I'd imagine he is not alone in that sense...

Probably rocket science how clubs are taxed but I think the common denominator is "preferably not"

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't know how well or otherwise other clubs are doing, but losing £120M over two seasons is an eye-watering amount.

I bet the halfwits up the '23 are tossing themselves like crazy off whilst moaning out 'Brighton's debt'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not expecting hardly any expenditure this summer with Mitoma, Sima, Kozlowski, Khedra, Ostigard, Undav, Scherpen, and one or two others back in the summer. At least we'll have some fresh options next season.

What makes you think all of those players are returning this summer? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I’ve not heard anything to suggest they are, bar pretty strong hints on Undav.

I had assumed at least half of them will stay out on loan or in some cases loans made permanent, as usually happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here