Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion accounts 2014-15

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The reduction in intangibles is the other side of the profit made on player sales. If you no longer have those players, the balance sheet value you ascribed to them have to come off the balance sheet.

I noticed the increase in stock too. I don't know what it is - a guess would be shop stock...

It is an increase in retail stock so I reckon so too. A whopping increase on the previous year but maybe just a timing difference based on being invoiced just before the year end to tie in with the VAT quarter.

At June '14 we had just finished the Errea relationship and were just starting with Nike. New Nike shirts weren't available until the end of July '14.

My guess would be that the club had almost no stock left at June '14 but, since then, the Nike stuff has arrived. As such, last year was probably an artificially low figure whilst this year's might be more like BAU.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
El P
Aren't these the consolidated accounts for the holding company and not those for the football club entity (ie BHAFC Ltd) that is the member of the Football League and has to comply with the rules/regulations of that organisation - eg FFP?

They are indeed the consolidated accounts. Note 18 shows that there is no net P&L activity in the holding company during 14/15 so the combined loss arose in the two trading subs: BHAFC Ltd, and Community Stadium Ltd. I may be corrected, but my understanding is that there is not much (yet anyway) within CSL so the loss is substantially what will be reported to Football League.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
accumulated losses of 74M, at least tony won't be paying any tax

over 2 millie of players bought with potential additional fees to pay out on - wonder who thats for ? Hemed and Murphy?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They are indeed the consolidated accounts. Note 18 shows that there is no net P&L activity in the holding company during 14/15 so the combined loss arose in the two trading subs: BHAFC Ltd, and Community Stadium Ltd. I may be corrected, but my understanding is that there is not much (yet anyway) within CSL so the loss is substantially what will be reported to Football League.

Yep, that makes sense. Of course, there are costs that you can strip out when seeing if you comply with FFP. The accounts say that the club will have met FFP, so, ones assumes, that when the allowable costs have been stripped out, the loss is low enough to meet FFP.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Scary isn't it.
I still find it astonishing that Hyypia had to fall on his sword and resign for the situation to be addressed. Had he remained in charge for another month, I think the damage may well have been irreversible last season. The complete overhaul at the end of last year that resulted, with the subsequent binning of Burke, set this club on a very different path.

Bloom doesn't get much wrong, but thanks christ he was forced into that overhaul just in time last year. Next years accounts would have made for some pretty gruesome reading if we were back in the noddy leagues right now, that's for sure.

Even worse if he had been fired and claimed his full compensation due.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just more detail on the increase in the football budget for the Hyppia / Hughton 2014/15 season.

It went up 14% from £20m to £23m - "highest ever"
"This includes the wages of players and football staff, the costs of the Academy and training ground running costs. We have continued to increase our football investment, and in particular players' wages to give ourselves the best possible chances of success on the pitch".

Puts to rest any suggestion, and there were many on here, that the club stopped spending after Gus left and means that despite everything we almost certainly had a top 10 football budget last season in the Champ. Except that we blew it on the likes of Holla, O Grady, Colunga, Gardner, Bent, Bennett, Best, Agustien, McCourt, and CMS. (and Baldock, Stockdale, Teixeira, and Kayal).
ie: Goodbye Burke. Goodbye Sami.

Bloom and Barber have already insisted again, publicly, that the football budget for 2015/16 has increased further which is perhaps easier to believe..

Having not yet donated my employer's £2 to CH for the individual BHAFC Ltd & CSL accounts (assuming they are available now) I wouldn't like to comment. However, last season (ie 2013/14) they both included the annual stadium rent of £1M paid to CSL by BHAFC Ltd and I expect to see an annual rental for the completed Training Ground (also owned by CSL) to appear this year.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
For those who mocked the stated fact that last year's footballing budget was the club's highest ever:

Football costs: £23,734,000 (2013-14: £20,748,000)

So, we spent nearly £3m on footbally things last season when compared to Oscar's season.

I haven't had a chance to read the report yet.

I presume that's gross spend rather than net spend. This is a manipulation of statistics and therefore doesn't quite tell the whole story. A 6M surplus from player sales takes that figure down considerably. I'd be interested to compare net spend compared to our first and second seasons in the Championship.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Could be worse, could be like Bolton and their eye watering £172m debt!

It's largely the same as us. Large debt to a single man.

The key difference is Tony Bloom's ongoing commitment to us. Bolton seem to have lost the support of Eddie Davies.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having not yet donated my employer's £2 to CH for the individual BHAFC Ltd & CSL accounts (assuming they are available now) I wouldn't like to comment. However, last season (ie 2013/14) they both included the annual stadium rent of £1M paid to CSL by BHAFC Ltd and I expect to see an annual rental for the completed Training Ground (also owned by CSL) to appear this year.

You don't need to pay for Brighton & Hove Albion Holdings Limited - http://www.seagulls.co.uk/documents/bha-holdings-signed-accounts-june-15229-2829507.pdf

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Dare I ask again how Albion Sports and Leisure fit into things, as they're the ones building the hotel according to this:

http://padocs.lewes.gov.uk/AniteIM.WebSearch/Download.aspx?Download=00223957.pdf

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The other key difference being that most of our debt was for building a fantastic stadium and training facility (assets) whereas most of Bolton's debt has been pissed up the wall on ridiculous transfer fees, wages and payments to agents (£15m on Elmander anyone?).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Could be worse, could be like Bolton and their eye watering £172m debt!

Its grim at Bolton at the moment but Eddie Davies , ie: Bolton's Tony Bloom equivalent, has made it clear he will write off the debt/his loans if the club is sold. For reasons that aren't clear, he's decided that he no longer wishes to finance the club. (i think he's down to his last £100m from a fortune made from selling bits of kettles)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/12...-Munich-to-Brentford-has-no-end-in-sight.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34908977

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Its grim at Bolton at the moment but Eddie Davies , ie: Bolton's Tony Bloom equivalent, has made it clear he will write off the debt/his loans if the club is sold. For reasons that aren't clear, he's decided that he no longer wishes to finance the club. (i think he's down to his last £100m from a fortune made from selling bits of kettles)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/12...-Munich-to-Brentford-has-no-end-in-sight.html

Which was my next question, is Mr Davies as financially stable and is £172m their total debt or is it higher? Risky if he's waiting on a buyer as they don't strike me as the most attractive proposition at the moment. Either way, thank our lucky stars for TB.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I haven't had a chance to read the report yet.

I presume that's gross spend rather than net spend. This is a manipulation of statistics and therefore doesn't quite tell the whole story. A 6M surplus from player sales takes that figure down considerably. I'd be interested to compare net spend compared to our first and second seasons in the Championship.

its not a manipulation of statistics at all.
This is the net football budget and excludes player depreciation and amortisation.

Our football budget year by year goes like this...
In pre- Withdean decade the budget hovered between £4m and £6m
Amex budgets have been...
2011/12 - £13m
2012/13- £19m
2013/14- £20m
2014/15 -£23m
via http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/brighton-and-hove-albion-love-at-pier.html

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

If he is down to his last 100 million, he won't want to be losing many millions each year going forward. That is understandable. He'll end up penniless if he keeps funding them, so wants to cut his losses before that.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Page 14, Current assets less liabilities £223m. Is that Uncle Tony's contribution to BHA?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here