Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
This time with Alan Partridge seems as if it's more David Brent hosting a tv show than Partridge. It was more about all the anxiety and awkwardness Partridge was putting himself through rather than his 'i'm in charge' approach he usually portrays.

Hopefully through the episodes, he starts to relax and be more his brutal self.

Odd comment. Awkwardness has always been a staple of AP, whichever format.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He reminds me a little too much of my younger brother for it to be as enjoyable as it might. Or do I mean more enjoyable?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The presenting sections were the funnier bits and some classic partridge lines in there already my only criticism is it would work better if they dropped the off camera bits between segments and had it just as the show.

It’s like doing the mid morning matters format on TV but does not seems to work as well. Might just be a first show thing

Overall very funny though

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I loved the bit where the interviewee from the outside broadcast agreed 'absolutely!' with every comment AP's co-presenter made, while doing the exact opposite with every comment AP made. Was like a mad form of verbal combat as an increasingly-pissed-off AP tried to force her to concede a single point of his. Then when she finally reluctantly did, having been forced into a corner, he all but leapt up and punched the air. Eat my goal! :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was a bit hit and miss really, some really funny moments and some meh.

Maybe 30 minutes is too long for him now?
What other mainstream comedies have you written that about over the last 10 or so years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thought it was shit, personally. A couple of chucklesome moments of course, but mostly a laboured, hackneyed, unfunny waste of half an hour.

I have loved AP as much as anyone, but when you think of the laugh out loud quotes from his radio 4 show, KMKY, I'm AP, and even N Norfolk Digital, which all have quotes we all trot out even now, there is none of that here.

Sidekick Simon - criminally underused, and when he was they made a mess out of a promisingly funny situation with his inability to work social media.

Hackneyed crap like "It's a tweet, Alan". Hilarious I'm sure.

Following hacker into a lift. Yeah, great.

Basically the script writing team (Coogan was part of it) have done a shit job. They are badly missing Armando Iannucci, the real genius behind Partridge.

I'll watch it again though, more in hope than expectation. It's got to get better, surely?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Once the regular host of the titular show dies in next weeks episode and Alan is taken on permanently, I’m hoping the character will gain confidence and get into his stride.

There were some very funny lines, “clunt” etc but it was patchy as ****. As mentioned Tim Key criminally underused .

The Gibbons brothers usually write excellently for Alan. Ianuccci hasn’t written for him for years now and we have had some cracking stuff. Mid Morning Matters was genius in parts and the narrative over the two series’ was well done.

I dunno, let’s see what it’s like in its stride but I don’t like this format so far.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone remember the partridge moment when he had insulted the local farmers and they dropped a cow on to his boat as they went under a bridge.

One of the funniest pieces of TV ( and totally un PC moments)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone remember the partridge moment when he had insulted the local farmers and they dropped a cow on to his boat as they went under a bridge.

One of the funniest pieces of TV ( and totally un PC moments)

No I don’t think anyone remembers that.

Water way ....to have a good time.

The two series’ of I’m Alan Partridge are as close to comedy genius as I have ever seen. I’d say it’s the funniest thing that’s ever been on TV.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It felt like a pilot epsiode to me. Some good bits that I would keep but a lot of so-so stuff that just padded out the 28 minutes. It also lacked any atmosphere. I don't know if this is because we were supposed to be viewing it as the production crew would - as opposed to the 'at home' audience - but it just felt very flat.

Disappointed, as I drove home from Dorset today and was looking forward to this all the way up the M3.

I think this is right about lacking atmosphere.

I was expecting it to be more of a Knowing Me Knowing You type thing. It seemed to be not quite sure if it was a sitcom or mockumentary. Some funny moments as Partridge is a brilliant character but the format didn’t quite work for me.

Iannuci is much missed - he’s a total genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I liked the awkwardness of it, that it wasn't all laugh a second, it was painful, as it was to see AP back with his arrogance without conviction, always on the wrong side of what needs to be said. Thought the revelation of his emails by the hacker was brilliant, right back to the KMKY days. Lynne somewhat steeling the show with her sinister plottings in Alan's ear that his jokes were being stolen. I liked it. Look forward to the next one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thought it was shit, personally. A couple of chucklesome moments of course, but mostly a laboured, hackneyed, unfunny waste of half an hour.

I have loved AP as much as anyone, but when you think of the laugh out loud quotes from his radio 4 show, KMKY, I'm AP, and even N Norfolk Digital, which all have quotes we all trot out even now, there is none of that here.

Sidekick Simon - criminally underused, and when he was they made a mess out of a promisingly funny situation with his inability to work social media.

Hackneyed crap like "It's a tweet, Alan". Hilarious I'm sure.

Following hacker into a lift. Yeah, great.

Basically the script writing team (Coogan was part of it) have done a shit job. They are badly missing Armando Iannucci, the real genius behind Partridge.

I'll watch it again though, more in hope than expectation. It's got to get better, surely?
Presumably you didn't enjoy

1) Mid Morning Matters ( 2 series )
2) The Movie
3) The Two Books
4) Scissored Isle

All of which is "New Alan".

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It didn't flow wonderfully, and elements didn't fit in with the notion that this was a televisual reality but some parts were very funny. Imperfect Partridge is way better than no Partridge at all and i'll watch with a tickled happiness.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
For all of you not liking the format, I'm convinced it's something we'll grow into. Seeing the behind the scenes element just adds another angle to exploit and create a running theme as opposed to the guests / co-presenters being the source of gags, Lynn's snarky comments about the co-host being a whore and the nicking the jokes thing is all surely a set up for the rest of the series. It's weirdly cold, but stuffed full with classic Partridge. The faces Partridge pulls when he knows he's got something a bit off the mark are genius.

I loved it and will watch it again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Presumably you didn't enjoy

1) Mid Morning Matters ( 2 series )
2) The Movie
3) The Two Books
4) Scissored Isle

All of which is "New Alan".
MMM - absolutely superb. The character had died and was resurrected by the new team. I genuinely believe it benefited from a new environment and a reboot on a smaller stage. They were able to experiment and did so to great affect.
The Movie - meh. Very ordinary.
The Two Books - I am only familiar with one of them which was amusing but not laugh out loud
Scissored Isle - not seen it.

:shrug:

Broadly speaking, "Old Alan" was far funnier IMHO.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The bits where Alan was talking and doing his thing were some of the best AP we have seen but it just doesn’t all get. I just prefer him when the story has him off the telly. I’ll stick with it , of course. I am looking forward to seeing how he ****s it all up this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here