Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Pardew headbutt.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree that it is up to parents to teach their children right from wrong.

But children are and always will be influenced by those they might idolise or hold as heroes - footballers, people from the music business, actors. If they see that such people are acting like idiots and getting away with it, they could well choose to do likewise. Even if, like Pardew, they are acting like idiots and getting punished for it, they will still be influenced.

Plenty of football managers seem to manage to be decent people, our own Oscar among them. There has even been a thread started on here a few days ago about football managers you like. Pardew is at the other end of the scale. Even without this event, his outburst against Pellegrini recently was disgusting.

Children are not going to make their way through life without seeing people doing the wrong thing. My boy watched match of the day, saw what Pardew did and recognised it as the wrong this to do. Being in Australia I could have chosen to shield him from Pardew's action as he would not have seen it anywhere else. It really didn't cross my mind to do this as he knows right from wrong.

If you were in shoes would you have chosen to not let him watch MOtD?

My point is that we cannot shield our children from the bad behaviour of others but we can teach them what is right and wrong and hope they choose their role models wisely.

I wonder if their has been an increase in the number of nearly headbutts in the Newcastle area in the last week or so, or if there has been an increase in the number of kids apologising and accepting the consequences for doing the wrong thing like their rolemodel. Maybe kids do see Pardew as a rolemodel but maybe they can also filter his actions enough to ignore the negative stuff and focus on the positives.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
7) You or I sign a legal contract (say to buy a house) and engage a solicitor at our own expense in order to complete this. A footballer signs a legal contract and engages an agent/lawyer: and the club offering the contract pay him.

I don't really understand why (say) Man United would pay Rooney's agent a fee for negotiating his new deal. Surely it should be down to Rooney to pay his own advisor out of his vast wages? Wouldn't such deals encourage unscrupulous agent behaviour?

I also thought agents got a cut (10%) of the players wages; or perhaps it used to be that way. I agree entirely with you Edna they represent the player so that player should be responsible for their fee.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I also thought agents got a cut (10%) of the players wages; or perhaps it used to be that way. I agree entirely with you Edna they represent the player so that player should be responsible for their fee.

"From our experience, many players do not know where their representation contract with their agent is or more importantly when it actually ends, so is it little surprise there is little understanding of what they ultimately pay their agent and the taxation due to HMRC.

In certain circumstances there may be additional payments to the agent in terms of dual representation and other commissions and payments made and/or due to the agent in question, but the crux of the matter is, that some agents actual sell to their client that the club pays the agents fees and not the players, but in most instances this is not the case, and the agent is paid on the players behalf (often by the club) and as such taxation is due from the player as benefit in kind.
"

http://www.fifafootballagent.co.uk/...esent-from-hmrc-for-professional-footballers/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here