Alan Hansen retiring at the end of this season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
BBC seem to have lined up about 20 people to cover punditry, not sure why they dont think a half dozen will do. people can knock Hansen, but he has won everything in English club football several times over.

You can't take away what Hansen has achieved in football but his charisma and Liverpool biased makes you want to yell at the tv regardless of what he says. Neville on the otherhand comes across very well and is not afraid to say what he thinks, even if it means upsetting Utd supporters by ripping into the team if they under perform, something Hansen rarely does if at all with Liverpool.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Hansen is so predictable. Everything is 'unbelievable' or 'incredible'.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Lawrenson and Hansen went stale on the BBC 13 years ago. It would help if Hansen took off his red tinted Liverpool spectacles. So biased it's untrue. Left with Shearer and Crooks. Good gawd! I can feel the bile in my belly rising.

Thought Hartson was being very objective tonight and giving good analysis on MOTD2 until goal of month.

Last edited:

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Hansen is one of the best but they are certainly lining up loads of younger replacements so he won`t be missed that much.
His defensive analysis though is one of the best certainly on the beeb

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd rather they got shot of Lineker to save some cash, to be honest.

Quite like Hansen, I still think he adds something to the program (not that I watch it much anymore).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Rumours circulating that this could be the start of a bit of a cull on MOTD. Lineker could be next to go with Manish Bhasin or Rishi Persad lined up to replace him and possibly Les Ferdinand replacing Hansen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hansen is the epitomy of tired, clichéd and predictable punditry. He has absolutely no insight and no connection with modern football. He was past his sell-by date many years ago, just like Lawrenson.

I fully agree with the posters who back Pat Nevin. He is excellent, as are most of the Sky regulars. Quite why the BBC don't use Nevin more I don't know, considering the range of bores at their disposal.

All of this.

Hansen, Lawrenson and Lineker are all incredibly expensive, and add very little value. Shearer too - dreadful.

Lineker, in fairness, is actually a competent PRESENTER (rather than pundit).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just need John Motson to retire now, he should have hung up his microphone many years ago.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hansen is the epitomy of tired, clichéd and predictable punditry. He has absolutely no insight and no connection with modern football. He was past his sell-by date many years ago, just like Lawrenson.

I fully agree with the posters who back Pat Nevin. He is excellent, as are most of the Sky regulars. Quite why the BBC don't use Nevin more I don't know, considering the range of bores at their disposal.

I thought you'd have my back on this one. Nevin is criminally underused.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Rumours circulating that this could be the start of a bit of a cull on MOTD. Lineker could be next to go with Manish Bhasin or Rishi Persad lined up to replace him and possibly Les Ferdinand replacing Hansen.

Ferdinand? I've not heard much of him, any good?

FWIW, I think Lineker is an excellent presenter, I suspect he might be asking for a bit too much money though. I'd imagine he's on a fair whack to do a job where being a successful ex-player isn't actually a pre-requisite.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ferdinand? I've not heard much of him, any good?

FWIW, I think Lineker is an excellent presenter, I suspect he might be asking for a bit too much money though. I'd imagine he's on a fair whack to do a job where being a successful ex-player isn't actually a pre-requisite.

He's better than Garth Crooks. Heard him do a couple of shifts on five live and he came across well although it was more 'banter' than analysis.

Lineker is on good money at the BBC, and with the corporation looking to cut costs it's unlikely his contract will be renewed so Manish or Rishi can adequetly do the job on far less money and can also cover other sports for the BBC, they're like the new Jim Rosenthals of their generation, except better.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He's better than Garth Crooks. Heard him do a couple of shifts on five live and he came across well although it was more 'banter' than analysis.

Lineker is on good money at the BBC, and with the corporation looking to cut costs it's unlikely his contract will be renewed so Manish or Rishi can adequetly do the job on far less money and can also cover other sports for the BBC, they're like the new Jim Rosenthals of their generation, except better.

That's what I feared with Ferdinand, my suspicion is he'd be virtually like for like with Shearer.

And that makes perfect financial sense for the BEEB & Lineker can pick up a big non publically funded contract elsewhere.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’m ‘so what’ about Hansen staying or going. He was good about 10 years ago but has now written his analysis before the game is played (Terrible, shocking etc). The trouble is, he is nowhere near the worst pundit out there and the mind boggles who he could be replaced with. Garth Crooks, Lawro and Townsend to name the obvious 3 who make Hansen sound like J. Robert Oppenheimer.

What I don’t understand is why it has to be a pro footballer in this role. Whilst Gabriel Marcotti is the epitome of smug, he gives more insight in his 2nd language than Shearer could dream about in his 1st. The obsession with using footballers who can barely use a word with more than 2 syllables mystifies me. Gary Neville is brilliant but that’s it – There must be more than that out there or equally there must be people who can speak about the game articulately that shouldn’t be discounted from being employed as an expert because they haven’t played pro football.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Since SKY took all the best pundits there are some right idiots on BBC now and Hansen is one of them, spouts tired old clichés every week

and Jamie Redknapp

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports