Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Hansen - BBC1

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
He may be a bit wooden but he could Marshall a defence.I bet even now he could show Cahill & jakielka a thing or to.

As for his opinions it's very simple if you don't like them turn it over nobody is forcing you to watch him.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He's alright Alan. Comes out with some shit sometimes but also offers some interesting insights into the game. Better than most pundits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure he is a decent chap off screen but his negative punditry style has got boring and he has pretty much become a self-parody. Did he jump or was he pushed?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The one thing I have in common with his familey is the dislike for Fergerson, Alan Hansen should have been picked for the Scotish World Cup squad I also liked the banter between him Mark Lawrenson.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Seriously? Have you not noticed how much pancake make-up they trowel onto Hansen on MOTD?! ??? I'm not having a go at his punditry, but he does sometimes look bizarre on that show.

You do have a point about make-up CM (and I was only joking about your post mate).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure he is a decent chap off screen but his negative punditry style has got boring and he has pretty much become a self-parody. ...

That's true, but he's still the best of an INCREDIBLY bad bunch. That Chuckle Brother (can never remember if it's Gary or Phil) is quite good, but after that? Most of the punditry in the World Cup has been shocking - and that's when you can understand it as a lot of it sounds like it has been like it's been phoned in from a foreign call centre. We're very lucky that the cricket punditry is excellent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was amused by a throw away line from Lawrenson a few years back when asked if he'd spoken to Hansen about something.

The replied:-

'I spent 10 years not needing to speak to Alan to know what he's thinking, im not going to start now'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A good programme about a great footballer and decent pundit.
Times move on, and for the MINORITY of households that have Sky Sports, Sky with their budget, technology and Carragher/Neville, have taken analysis and comment to another level.

With Hansen gone, we will now see even more of the following bores ..... Jason Roberts, Shearer and Danny Mills. To me, that's a retrograde change.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm showing my extreme age here, but I recall that it was a goal from Hansen, on one of his trademark surges out of defence, that decided Albion's first top-flight visit to Anfield back in 1980.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I kind of liked him - as good if not better than any of the more recent pundits.

Definitely that. But that's more to do with the recent punters than him.

For me, he was too defence obsessed, so much so that it blinded him to quality attacking play. He was also pretty much the originator of the attitude that if you have not played the game at the top level, then you have no right to be taken seriously when talking about it. So instead of really good, in depth journalism, this attitude has been one of the main reasons that we have ended up with Savage, Mills and Mark Bloody Bright.

He lost all remaining credibility for me when saying that he was distraught after Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany, almost saying that this was a disaster for football. This after one of the most complete displays I have ever seen from a National side. He gave NO credit to Germany, the one side that has shown that they deserve to win this World Cup.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
He lost all remaining credibility for me when saying that he was distraught after Brazil lost 7-1 to Germany, almost saying that this was a disaster for football. This after one of the most complete displays I have ever seen from a National side. He gave NO credit to Germany, the one side that has shown that they deserve to win this World Cup.
Completely agree with that bit though :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here