Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Curbishley

SeagullJay

Feb 6, 2006
Dubai
Now don't get me wrong - I know it wont happen - at least not while we are at Withdean in Division 3 (as it was when I was a lad) BUT did Curbishley not once say The Albion were a club he would like to manage one day?

However, in all reality, Brian Clough, Jose Mourinho, Bob Paisley et al would all struggle in our situation.

I was distraught when McGhee was given the job but, in fairness, he did well to take us up and performed a minor miracle to keep us up.

Each year we are at Withdean losing money his (or whoever is in the post) job surely gets harder and harder - both of in terms of signing players (Yeah - come and play in our temporary home for the next five years...) and keeping players.

We need the money offered for the Virgos of this world - financial fact and they are going to be hard to replace.

It is testament to the club and Wilkins etc that the likes of Virgo, Harding, Lynch, Fox etc have all come through the ranks.

As for his man management - I am not on the training ground and/or behind the scenes. I don't know what goes on.
Knight always had attitude; Jarrett left MK Dons with 'history'; etc etc -

I know there are two sides to every story - and it takes two to argue and every other old cliche.

but at the end of the day McGhee is who we have
these players are what we have
so we have to suppot them

stuck in Dubai my trips to games are far less frequent than I would like but I do try and do what I can - I sponsored Henderson's kit last year (even though a Kuipers fan!!)

before Dubai I was a season ticket holder at Withdean - even though based near Cambridge
before that Gillingham and the Goldstone bless it.

If you had told me on THAT Saturday in 1997 at Herford that nine years later we would be one division higher after

TWO Championships
One winning play-off final
TWO years in Division 1 (in old money) or Championship

I would have bitten your hand off to take the deal

and anyone who watched the Case era - now then we were awful

and lived through the Archer/Bellotti near destruction of the club surely appreciate we are in a somewhat better situation now -
if only Falmer could be runner stamped

anyway - this is turning into a lecture

so come on - get behind the Club, team and management - like em or loathe em
we are stuck with em!!!

There was an interview on BBC News24 last night with Alan Curbishley in which he said that his current ambition is to manage a bigger club than Charlton, "not necessarily in the south of England".

I got the distinct impression that top of his list is Manchester United.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
SeagullJay said:
Now don't get me wrong - I know it wont happen - at least not while we are at Withdean in Division 3 (as it was when I was a lad) BUT did Curbishley not once say The Albion were a club he would like to manage one day?

However, in all reality, Brian Clough, Jose Mourinho, Bob Paisley et al would all struggle in our situation.

I was distraught when McGhee was given the job but, in fairness, he did well to take us up and performed a minor miracle to keep us up.

Each year we are at Withdean losing money his (or whoever is in the post) job surely gets harder and harder - both of in terms of signing players (Yeah - come and play in our temporary home for the next five years...) and keeping players.

We need the money offered for the Virgos of this world - financial fact and they are going to be hard to replace.

It is testament to the club and Wilkins etc that the likes of Virgo, Harding, Lynch, Fox etc have all come through the ranks.

As for his man management - I am not on the training ground and/or behind the scenes. I don't know what goes on.
Knight always had attitude; Jarrett left MK Dons with 'history'; etc etc -

I know there are two sides to every story - and it takes two to argue and every other old cliche.

but at the end of the day McGhee is who we have
these players are what we have
so we have to suppot them

stuck in Dubai my trips to games are far less frequent than I would like but I do try and do what I can - I sponsored Henderson's kit last year (even though a Kuipers fan!!)

before Dubai I was a season ticket holder at Withdean - even though based near Cambridge
before that Gillingham and the Goldstone bless it.

If you had told me on THAT Saturday in 1997 at Herford that nine years later we would be one division higher after

TWO Championships
One winning play-off final
TWO years in Division 1 (in old money) or Championship

I would have bitten your hand off to take the deal

and anyone who watched the Case era - now then we were awful

and lived through the Archer/Bellotti near destruction of the club surely appreciate we are in a somewhat better situation now -
if only Falmer could be runner stamped

anyway - this is turning into a lecture

so come on - get behind the Club, team and management - like em or loathe em
we are stuck with em!!!

I must be honest......i could not have put it better, if i tried ..... well said :clap: :clap: :clap:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Lord Bracknell said:
There was an interview on BBC News24 last night with Alan Curbishley in which he said that his current ambition is to manage a bigger club than Charlton, "Definatly in the south of England".

I got the distinct impression that top of his list is either Brighton & Hove Albion or Manchester United.

:p (i just wish i wouldnt fall asleep drunk so early, then i wouldnt be up half the night on here !!! :lolol: :drink: :lolol: :drink: )

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is no way Curbs would remotely consider managing us any time soon. Perhaps if we had Falmer, were in the Championship, and his stock had fallen a bit then maybe in the future.

As Lord B says, he thinks he deserves a shot at a really big club, but I doubt he'll get it. He did apparently have the chance to manage West Ham,a much tougher gig than Charlton, but was worried about the stick his kids might get at school.

Very laudable, but that's not what the big clubs want to hear. I don't think Fergie worried too long about that when he was offered the Man Utd job at Aberdeen.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
that my friend,is one of the best posts i have ever read on here:clap: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here