Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Al Murray

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
But that's because the political system favours the ruling elite.

I'm not, by the way, questioning the result of the election (i.e. that the tories won), but I do think we need a better system that allows your average Jo/Joe to get into parliament more easily, whatever their political views. I also think that parliament needs a lot more scientists, economists, philosophers, etc. and far less career politicians.

What is "the ruling elite"? Kids whose parents pay a little bit more to ensure that classroom sizes are 15 rather than 30? The stigmatism of public school is really unwarranted. It's not like they're being inducted into the stonemasons, and it's not rocket science that smaller classrooms with better funding means kids get higher grades and better opportunities in life. That's the causal link you're referring to: private school kids do better in politics because private schools generally deliver a better education!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Leading the infantile chorus of leftist poseurs was the purple headed harridan Bunny La Roche (yes that is her real name). You may recall seeing her in typical fashion shouting abuse at Nigel Farage on Question Time.

UKIP had the last laugh though. As the far left celebrated in Ramsgate, they saw the light of a new day bring them the news that they now lived under the first UKIP controlled council in the country.

They wren't laughing in Seaford..

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
But that's because the political system favours the ruling elite.

I'm not, by the way, questioning the result of the election (i.e. that the tories won), but I do think we need a better system that allows your average Jo/Joe to get into parliament more easily, whatever their political views. I also think that parliament needs a lot more scientists, economists, philosophers, etc. and far less career politicians.

An Islamic Party of Great Britain in a PR scenario could send many on NSC into apoplexy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An Islamic Party of Great Britain in a PR scenario could send many on NSC into apoplexy.
There are rules on what a party can put forward as its policies, hence the BNP no longer being allowed to be racist.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What is "the ruling elite"? Kids whose parents pay a little bit more to ensure that classroom sizes are 15 rather than 30? The stigmatism of public school is really unwarranted. It's not like they're being inducted into the stonemasons, and it's not rocket science that smaller classrooms with better funding means kids get higher grades and better opportunities in life. That's the causal link you're referring to: private school kids do better in politics because private schools generally deliver a better education!

This is just rubbish I'm afraid. First of all, I'm talking specifically about Eton. A very large proportion of tory MPs went to Eton. It's an old boys club. And no, the parents of children who send their kids to Eton did not just pay "a little bit more", they paid more than most people in this country earn. Most of the cabinet are millionaires. Yes, on average, people who go to private school get better grades but there are still far more people from state schools with perfectly good grades and they're massively underrepresented. Furthermore, you're saying this as if you need to be massively intelligent to get into politics. I really don't think this is the case.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This is just rubbish I'm afraid. First of all, I'm talking specifically about Eton. A very large proportion of tory MPs went to Eton.

Not really.

The facts tell a very different story: research from Byron Criddle shows that the percentage of Old Etonian Tory MPs has fallen from 24 per cent in 1951 and 20 per cent in 1959 to 6.5 per cent today.

Full Article

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Do you not think 6.5% is quite high? Given that only 0.00038% of the country's 3.25 million secondary school children go to Eton? Do you have figures for the % from all top public schools?

What a pity, to let inconvenient truth get in the way of blinkered prejudice.

I find your comment offensive. I'm not in anyway prejudiced, my words are based on fact. I'm a bloomin' floating voter for feck's sake.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I take umbrage to that. I'm fed up with defending a private education and being written off as 'posh private school boy'. Some of us are functioning and rounded human beings.

Well not that posh if you say 'take umbrage to' rather than 'take umrage at'!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Reminds me of my 6 year-old who is spelling everything phonetically at the moment.

I've always found it rather strange that phonetically is not spelt phonetically.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
There is no lack of decent education but some families don't want it or give their kids any guidelines as to social behaviour. The kids resent being sent to school so become disruptive. Throwing money into education doesn't help families like this.

How many families we talking about? A tiny percentage. I'm talking about the vast percentage of people who send their kids to state schools because they don't have a choice, they deserve a better education. In fact a family without the cash to spend deserve an education as good as those who just happen to be loaded. As I say, social mobility is falling, I'd like to see it increase again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How many families we talking about? A tiny percentage. I'm talking about the vast percentage of people who send their kids to state schools because they don't have a choice, they deserve a better education. In fact a family without the cash to spend deserve an education as good as those who just happen to be loaded. As I say, social mobility is falling, I'd like to see it increase again.

Children who want to learn will do so with parental backing. My own two went to local schools, and both managed attain very good careers. It wasn't without a lot of heartache, bullying and complaints to the schools involved. Why should my grandchildren have to suffer when it can be avoided. The percentage isn't as tiny as you'd like to think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here