Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Ajax Season Ticket Exchange

hmchatfield

Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,

First time posting here, but absolutely shocked to receive the resale refund confirmation email from the Ajax game to see a £20 admin fee included, meaning only a £5 refund.

I purchased the multi-game pack with every intention of attending all fixtures, however was rushed into emergency surgery on Wednesday due to illness so couldn’t attend on Thursday night.

Essentially this means the club gets to sell the ticket twice (to me, and then again once resold), with little to nothing back to the original purchaser.

Not sure if I missed any early comms from the club on this, but has left an incredibly sour taste. There must be others in the same boat, so apologies if I’ve missed any other posts.

Thanks

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The initial line from the club was "this is an agreement to buy tickets for 3 matches, there will be no returns or resales".

This was then changed to "we will let you resell your tickets but we will only refund the amount to make it the same price as having bought 2 individual tickets".

(or thereabouts)

All was pretty clearly explained at the time. I'm in a similar boat, having to miss Ajax due to family commitments, but am happy that my seat was filled and I got a bit of money back - I'm no worse off than if I'd booked single tickets to the two other games, and also guaranteed my own seat for each. :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I always assumed the 3 match pack was a commitment to all 3 games, with the knowledge that any games you couldn't make, you would probably lose money on. Otherwise, why wouldn't everyone just buy a 3 match pack? The whole point of the saving was the commitment to going to all 3 games.

Appreciate your situation was unlucky re: surgery needed, and hope you are feeling much better now!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You definitely missed comms from the club about it as they when the Europa exchange was announced they said the admin charge pretty much invalidates any savings from the 3 match pack
If memory serves, the comms said something about the level of refund increasing if you were forced to miss a second and/or third match

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hi all,

First time posting here, but absolutely shocked to receive the resale refund confirmation email from the Ajax game to see a £20 admin fee included, meaning only a £5 refund.

I purchased the multi-game pack with every intention of attending all fixtures, however was rushed into emergency surgery on Wednesday due to illness so couldn’t attend on Thursday night.

Essentially this means the club gets to sell the ticket twice (to me, and then again once resold), with little to nothing back to the original purchaser.

Not sure if I missed any early comms from the club on this, but has left an incredibly sour taste. There must be others in the same boat, so apologies if I’ve missed any other posts.

Thanks
Yes, you have been unlucky. When I paid for the 3 match pack, I understood that it was a commitment to all 3 games, hence the reduced price, and I recall many posters at the time praising the club for its foresight. Let's say that by the time of the 3rd home game and the club had no hope of progressing at all, human nature being as it is, if folk then realise that they can get a refund, all sorts of "good" excuses would be given, other than the truth that they simply couldn't be bothered anymore. Just to stress -not saying that applies to you, just that you are to an extent an honest and unwitting victim

D

Deleted member 46257

Hi all,

Thanks

D

Deleted member 46257

I got caught by this. No mention of ticket exchange terms at point of purchase (just vagueness as to whether it may or may not be an option) and I didn’t see the update terms when the ticket exchange popped up as available.

Whether it’s my bad for not looking for small print or whether the club were making it up as they went along, it just feels a bit distasteful.

80% “admin” fee?! when they have an easy re-sell at full price! A real double dip.

The term “admin” is not really the best choice given that it’s £1 “admin” charge for regular games.

Happy that someone else got to see a great game but this just encourages people the either not bother and leave seats empty.

In fact, while not permitted, would be better to just give them away rather than allow the club to take the Micky.

Just not a great way to treat fans who spend week in week out IMO

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Hi all,

Thanks
As others have said the club did announce that anyone listing one of the 3 match pack tickets on the exchange would lose the large discount that was applied to those tickets. The full breakdown of what you get back is explained on the exchange home page here - https://tickets.brightonandhovealbi...e&page=usercontent/documents/html/resale.html

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bought two tickets (an adult and an under 18) for £40. We both got COVID, so sold them back to the club who resold them at a higher price. I received £8. Not impressed.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Sour taste? Have you actually lost out?

If you bought normal tickets for the two matches you went to at face value, it may have cost the same as the three match pack anyway.

The pack was announced well before the fixtures were announced so there was a good chance that many people, would not make the home ones due to other commitments and life getting in the way. It was a chance we all took at the time. A gamble a lot of us made. I knew that I couldn't make one of the 6 games which could have ended up at home or away - lose or win for me.

The tickets were heavily discounted but the gamble was making the games. Some you win, some you lose.

Sadly illness costs.

Hope you recover well and don't feel too bitter for long.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
however was rushed into emergency surgery on Wednesday due to illness so couldn’t attend on Thursday night.
Sorry to hear this, but as others have said, the three-game pass was heavily discounted, and conditions were made clear.

Still pretty good value for two matches! Hope you can make the next one.

D

Deleted member 46257

As others have said the club did announce that anyone listing one of the 3 match pack tickets on the exchange would lose the large discount that was applied to those tickets. The full breakdown of what you get back is explained on the exchange home page here - https://tickets.brightonandhovealbi...e&page=usercontent/documents/html/resale.html

Sorry to hear this, but as others have said, the three-game pass was heavily discounted, and conditions were made clear.

Still pretty good value for two matches! Hope you can make the next one.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We had the conversation about this on here a while ago when the club announced it and there was a consensus that it was fair enough really. The reason for the good value offer was that you were committed to attending all the games- if it'd been the case that you got the face value of your ticket back, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to not get one, whether they intended to make all the games or not.

I'd already accepted that I wouldn't be getting anything at all back if I couldn't make any of the games, and thought it was a decent gesture that they were at least offering something for those who couldn't make it tbh. It was clearly communicated by the club.

Hope you're recovering well and are able to make Marseille.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Please explain? For what game?
P.S. I’m presuming Ajax at home?
Ajax at home.

I don’t really understand the discounting argument. Yes, the initial price was good, but they were reselling a ticket I bought at £25 for £35 and reimbursed me just £5. They sold that seat twice for £60.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t really understand the discounting argument. Yes, the initial price was good, but they were reselling a ticket I bought at £25 for £35 and reimbursed me just £5. They sold that seat twice for £60.

Those of us who bought three-pack got a seriously good deal - before the draw was made.

Looked even better once we knew our opponents.

Club perfectly entitled to sell (or even resell) one-off match tickets for full price.

There's no debate here, surely?

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/3616509

"Three-match packs are sold on the basis of unknown opposition, date and kick-off times and can’t be changed, transferred or cancelled after purchase."

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ajax at home.

i think the club wanted to give STH the opportunity of a heavily discounted 3 match pack to get numbers on board early on and to reduce admin, making it clear at the time that it was a 3 match commitment and there would be no refunds. There was no guarantee that the club would be able to resell unwanted tickets.

I presume you know that the club resold your ticket (perhaps it was the seat next to you) but if it didn't resell would you have accepted nothing at all.

2 European matches for £75 or whatever it was is pretty good value anyway

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ajax at home.

I think your maths are completely wrong here. The whole point of the 3-match deal was that you got three tickets for the price of two.

All that has happened is that you’ve ultimately been left paying full price, for the two games you will attend - which is what people who were unable to commit to all the dates were advised to do in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here