Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Airbus 330 (Air China) dumping fuel off Brighton

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Let's hope Tooting Gull wasn't on it - I think he was heading to China to cover the snooker:ohmy:

Excuse my ignorance but does this dumping fuel lark literally involve the plane dropping Avcat over the channel?
If so what if it all lands on some fisherman having a crafty snout whilst pulling in his nets!?

Aviation fuel is very similar to diesel, it would take more than a cigarette to ignite it

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Saw it going over Preston Park. Very low.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Aviation fuel is very similar to diesel, it would take more than a cigarette to ignite it

i feel your comment warrants further scientific investigation.
if you are up to it,would you be willing to test your theory and stand next to a tanker of aviation fuel with an open valve holding a lit fag.

i will observe from about 10 miles away(health and safety) and report back the findings on here.

understand if you are a non smoker and would not wish to partake

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

i feel your comment warrants further scientific investigation.
if you are up to it,would you be willing to test your theory and stand next to a tanker of aviation fuel with an open valve holding a lit fag.

i will observe from about 10 miles away(health and safety) and report back the findings on here.

understand if you are a non smoker and would not wish to partake

I'm no expert but my Uncle was, he always said he would quite happily chuck a lit cigarette into a swimming pool full of avgas, it would simply go out.

Try and think of a candle, you can put a naked flame on a candle and nothing will happen other than the wax melting. Light the wick and the wax will burn.

I stand to be corrected here, but he was in the RAF for 30 years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I will give you a clue. The Independent pic is a Boeing 747 :D

Well, for the very briefest of mere moments i did (ever so slightly mind) you understand,doubt [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] .........briefest you understand Icy :kiss:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Or an American one, an Israeli one, A British one.

Rupture the tanks and let the jet engine ignite the rest.

Avgas is fairly benine, it requires an ignition sorce.

I was just being silly and topical but seing as it appears you've gone all Mr Sensible I will come back at you as Mr Also Sensible.

For the record only...Air to Air or Ground to Air missiles dont explode into a target they detonate meters away sending shrapnel into the fuselage, engines and wings shredding them. This is a far more effective method of destruction and wouldn't necessarily ignite the avgas. Thats why you don't see the whole aircraft fire damaged on the ground.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Just reading up about it and it was hydraulic failure which prevented a full gear retraction, so had to circle, dump fuel and then land safely. A minor incident in the grand scheme of things.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm no expert but my Uncle was, he always said he would quite happily chuck a lit cigarette into a swimming pool full of avgas, it would simply go out.

Try and think of a candle, you can put a naked flame on a candle and nothing will happen other than the wax melting. Light the wick and the wax will burn.

I stand to be corrected here, but he was in the RAF for 30 years.
Aviation fuel is very similar to central heating oil but with a few extra additives. Safe unless near high heat or misted. Easily put a fag out in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here