Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AirBnB - Wouldn't Happen In Germany

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have, or are planning to have, something similar in Vancouver and Whistler.

As mentioned, property gets taken off the market for long term rents, and is held for short term gains, with subsequent hike in available rents, and indeed sales of property, along with City/Council income from Hotel taxation falling, and Standards/H+S being unmonitored in these properties.

One other element to this, which a lot of people talk about, is having owners who don't live in the apartment having a vote on house issues i.e. they typically won't vote for improvements which cost money as they wont be affected or benefit from

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure how this would compare, but whilst I had my time in Germany with the RAF in the 1990's, the local town of Elmpt did have a lot of privately owned houses rented out to the Brits serving out there. Obviously there was the property that had been set aside for normal military married quarters off base.

This will still be okay I think. The target seems to be people who are investing in residential property and regularly using it for other means I.e. holiday lets. They also have a sub-let culture here where folk lend their property out if they go away for long-ish periods. Again I'd be surprised if this was affected.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I recon 40% of urban Brighton flats are tenant occupied rather than owned!

Possibly and with reason. Brighton is known to have a higher than average number of renters due to the transient nature of its population due to it being a popular place, having 2 universities, 2 hospitals and a lot of seasonal work. It's also quite small. I'd actually say these people you talk about are doing the city a service. That said, I do support higher taxes on multiple properties and supported the recent changes to the tax laws.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Shock horror! - government intervenes in the housing/rental market to maintain and protect the supply of affordable homes for local people. Certainly wouldn't happen in the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here