Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ainsley Maitland-Niles

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We still have Andone. any news on that?

No word on how long he will be out for.

Interesting to see how the club sees this. Most expect he'll be loaned out as soon as poss. I'm not so sure. Where are we going to find a club which will cover anything like the wages Galatasaray were covering whilst he hasn't proved his fitness? I think we'll struggle to offload temporarily or permanently. He knows that and we know that.

Both parties then have to decide if they are prepared to make a go of it.

Andone I think has nothing to lose by making the right noises in public and having a go at forcing himself back into the side. For him, it's either that or let his contract run down
GP has to decide if he's prepared to re-integrate. My guess is that he is pragmatic enough to know that the best way to get Florin out of the club is to get him in the shop window and let him prove his fitness.

I'll guess he'll be reintegrated when fit, probably around xmas, and we'll see a fair bit of him in the new year. He'll do ok and return to Spain next summer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If Maupay picks up an injury we will be finished. We will be left with a prospect and an ageing Murray who can hardly run these days.

Murray has hardly been able to run for about 7 years now and has done OK.

Connolly is more than a prospect now.

I do agree with you, it would be sensible to have another option in that position. The issue would come if Maupay and Connolly are both injured (or suspended etc). The one I hope GP can work his magic on is Gyokeres. Pacey, bustling and scored at youth level. I'm sure GP is having a good look in training to make a decision on what to do with him.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We still have Andone. any news on that?

He was injured on 14th June and recovery for an ACL injury takes between 4-8 months.

So he could be back anytime from the middle of October, to as late as the beginning of March.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
OK, you worry about us being finished, I won't! :)
Our problem has not be creative in chances it’s always been finishing them, we have missed more big chances than the majority of the league. Whilst I admire your optimism we need to work on this area of pitch preferably before the start of the season. Can’t see to many points coming from the first round of games otherwise.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I should hope so for £40m as opposed to £15m

Which backs up my point. An ordinary £40m player is better than an ordinary £15m one.

There is no guarantee regardless of what you pay, but it stands to reason you are more liable to have a better chance by paying more.

I’d go £30m for a forward and not bother with a LWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Loelinton? Better keep the £40M in the piggy bank and stick with Maupay and Connolly.

Think Connolly has some way to go to being the finished article.

As per my original post, it is the Murray replacement we need.

Connolly is more similar to Maupay IMO.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Which backs up my point. An ordinary £40m player is better than an ordinary £15m one.

There is no guarantee regardless of what you pay, but it stands to reason you are more liable to have a better chance by paying more.

I’d argue we need a LWB more than we need a striker.

We look so disjointed with Burn occupying that role

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

You can narrow down the odds by signing a player from a top league who you know should get you goals. Or sign a player who scores shitloads for a lesser league that you think you can develop such as the fella from Celtic.

I’m with you it really is our only big position to fill.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You can narrow down the odds by signing a player from a top league who you know should get you goals. Or sign a player who scores shitloads for a lesser league that you think you can develop such as the fella from Celtic.

Haven’t we tried the lesser league approach?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Haven’t we tried the lesser league approach?

To be fair French Eddie as the Celtic fans call him looks real quality he appears to have it all, team player, finisher, good hold up play and can take a free kick. If we had signed Dembele I think we would all of been happy by now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think Connolly has some way to go to being the finished article.

As per my original post, it is the Murray replacement we need.

Connolly is more similar to Maupay IMO.

Completely agree that another striker should be our priority - but if the option was Joelinton for £40M I'd still say no, don't bother. We'll stick with what we've got until we find something better.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

That's Leedsesque logic. As in, it contradicts itself completely, and isn't true.

Joelinton has scored 2 goals in 38 PL appearances. How does paying £40m for him make him better than a £15m player who has managed exactly the same (or better)?!

It's like arguing that Palace paying £30m (and £6.5m a year in wages) for Barndoor Benny is good business just because it's so much money. :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's Leedsesque logic. As in, it contradicts itself completely, and isn't true.

Joelinton has scored 2 goals in 38 PL appearances. How does paying £40m for him make him better than a £15m player who has managed exactly the same (or better)?!

It's like arguing that Palace paying £30m (and £6.5m a year in wages) for Barndoor Benny is good business just because it's so much money. :lolol:

But you’ve completely ignored the comparison with the £15m ordinary player.

Put another way would you prefer us to purchase a forward for £40m or one for £15m, assuming we’d done our homework etc....

Both could still turn out good or ordinary. I know which way I’d go.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But you’ve completely ignored the comparison with the £15m ordinary player.

Put another way would you prefer us to purchase a forward for £40m or one for £15m, assuming we’d done our homework etc....

Both could still turn out good or ordinary. I know which way I’d go.

Locadia scored 3 PL goals in 34 appearances. Better than Joelinton and a bang average player, for £15m.

I have not ignored the comparison. [emoji23]

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Locadia scored 3 PL goals in 34 appearances. Better than Joelinton and a bang average player, for £15m.

I have not ignored the comparison. [emoji23]

At the risk of derailing this thread further, Joelinton is not a bad player. Under Nagelsmann he was played more in a Firminho type role in a pair, dropping off and linking up play.

He also played in a team that pressed high up the pitch, something he does well. But not something Newcastle do much of.

I guess I'm trying to say that no matter how much you pay for a player, if his style doesn't fit with the managers style he will fail.

Thankfully Potter and Ashworth seem to understand this, and won't make that mistake.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
At the risk of derailing this thread further, Joelinton is not a bad player. Under Nagelsmann he was played more in a Firminho type role in a pair, dropping off and linking up play.

He also played in a team that pressed high up the pitch, something he does well. But not something Newcastle do much of.

I guess I'm trying to say that no matter how much you pay for a player, if his style doesn't fit with the managers style he will fail.

Thankfully Potter and Ashworth seem to understand this, and won't make that mistake.
Yes. Locadia looked decent before he joined us but certainly didn't fit the system/style of play. Fortunately, we didn't spunk £40m on him.

That was my point. The myth that spending more on a player makes them a better player is just that.

It's just one example. There are hundreds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here