Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Agreeing with Simon Jordan 😬

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I quite like Jordan but I think these comments come from a degree of bitterness over his tenure at Palace, he lost something like 50 million quid after a takeover that happened 25 years ago. His legacy was liquidation, Palace were very fortunate their fate wasn't relegation and lower league oblivion.

I think its right that pundits offer some balance to the brighton success story, we've spend bucketloads but much of blooms investment has been in infrastructure, its been the springboard to our recent success but its also a long term legacy.
I listen to his podcast regularly and enjoyed his book the bitterness here seems out of place with his normal measured opinions like you say this does come across as being more about his tenure than our current situation

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sour grapes and misdirected resentment from someone who’s been a financial victim of a cut throat industry…?

Maybe he would be better venting at the investments made by the oil soaked sports washers pumping silly money into the EPL that makes it harder for clubs like Palace to compete for top spots; or resenting owners those that choose to bleed their clubs dry by using them as collateral for loans they could never pay back; or Clubs who spend well over their budgets on players they can’t use; or those that saddle their club with wage structures they can’t sustain: or those owners falling foul of FFP trying to buy their way out of poor transfer decisions …

Yep, lots of ways to run a football club, but I am proud that we are widely recognised as one, if not the best, managed clubs in League football and have an fan- owner with the heart of a lion who is willing to dig deep for the club he supports..

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think it’s because he knows Parrish inherited what he built and what was in place for not a lot.

I also think there’s a story along the lines of there being bit of an inside job around the credit crunch, the banks took actions to quickly / harshly on Simon Jordan and his finances which forced the club to administration

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it’s because he knows Parrish inherited what he built and what was in place for not a lot.

I also think there’s a story along the lines of there being bit of an inside job around the credit crunch, the banks took actions to quickly / harshly on Simon Jordan and his finances which forced the club to administration
It was Agilo who got the willies and called in a loan early that he'd taken out with them. He didn't have the readies, so Administration Mk2 duley followed.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sour grapes and misdirected resentment from someone who’s been a financial victim of a cut throat industry…?

Maybe he would be better venting at the investments made by the oil soaked sports washers pumping silly money into the EPL that makes it harder for clubs like Palace to compete for top spots; or resenting owners those that choose to bleed their clubs dry by using them as collateral for loans they could never pay back; or Clubs who spend well over their budgets on players they can’t use; or those that saddle their club with wage structures they can’t sustain: or those owners falling foul of FFP trying to buy their way out of poor transfer decisions …

Yep, lots of ways to run a football club, but I am proud that we are widely recognised as one, if not the best, managed clubs in League football and have an fan- owner with the heart of a lion who is willing to dig deep for the club he supports..
Spot on

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
£216m of it on infrastructure.
Not to mention the fact, that there is also well over £100m on player sales profits.
The value of the remaining squad easily outweighs the rst of the "debt".

Compare and contrast with over £1.5bn revenue spent by Palace.
Once Olise and Eze are sold, they are a championship club. and still wouldn't have enough cash to build their new stand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It was Agilo who got the willies and called in a loan early that he'd taken out with them. He didn't have the readies, so Administration Mk2 duley followed.
Yeah and I think the suggestion was an interested party in acquiring Palace had put a bit of pressure on Agilo right ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not everyone wants to do it that way because the vast majority are not true supporters of the clubs they’ve bought.

Whilst that's true, you're accepting his suggestion that we've spent our way to success, but the truth is we've spent less on the playing side than a lot of other clubs. We've just been run better, by a smarter man.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

All with a punch of salt :tosser:

Just coming back to this:
What percentage of Palace do the yanks own, and how much did they pay for it?

Bloom paying for our ground and training facilities, plus a few players, is the equivalent to him buying the club.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just coming back to this:
What percentage of Palace do the yanks own, and how much did they pay for it?

Bloom paying for our ground and training facilities, plus a few players, is the equivalent to him buying the club.
Textor paid £117.5m for 45%, I believe.
Pretty sure the other yanks own 45% too and Parish holds 10%

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Textor paid £117.5m for 45%, I believe.
Pretty sure the other yanks own 45% too and Parish holds 10%
Thanks. So they paid £260m for Palace. Have they spent zero money net since getting to the PL?
If you allow Bloom £260m for the club (ground, training ground and a starting group of players) then what each club has spent is probably fairly similar.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Thanks. So they paid £260m for Palace. Have they spent zero money net since getting to the PL?
If you allow Bloom £260m for the club (ground, training ground and a starting group of players) then what each club has spent is probably fairly similar.
Well they've had much higher revenue for 4 additional seasons.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Whilst that's true, you're accepting his suggestion that we've spent our way to success, but the truth is we've spent less on the playing side than a lot of other clubs. We've just been run better, by a smarter man.
Absolutely- we’re run by a better and smarter man. I don’t feel our club has bought success, but I agree with Jordan’s comment that Bloom has brought the club back - by every measure (playing and non playing) he’s done that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here