Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aging Mountain Bikers

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Apologies for jumping on this thread, but with a similar theme. I'm Arundel way, mid 50's and looking for off road but not leaping over mountains, I love cycling but don't enjoy roads, I've done a little around Angmering Park but would just like a fairly flat (ish) 15-20 miles off road, don't mind the occasional road and don't really want to go on the South Down Way ... at the moment!

Oh, and how can you count cycling on FitBit?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apologies for jumping on this thread, but with a similar theme. I'm Arundel way, mid 50's and looking for off road but not leaping over mountains, I love cycling but don't enjoy roads, I've done a little around Angmering Park but would just like a fairly flat (ish) 15-20 miles off road, don't mind the occasional road and don't really want to go on the South Down Way ... at the moment!

Oh, and how can you count cycling on FitBit?
Shirley Whiteways is your friend.
There's a hell of a lot of circular routes from the car park alone.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Shirley Whiteways is your friend.
There's a hell of a lot of circular routes from the car park alone.

Indeed, a few have mentioned that, it's the hill up there from Arundel! Although I think there's an off-road way via Spring Farm, will take a look maybe this weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed, a few have mentioned that, it's the hill up there from Arundel! Although I think there's an off-road way via Spring Farm, will take a look maybe this weekend.
T'is a much loved descent when the 'geeks' come over to play!, they aren't so happy going up.

In fairness it's only the first section you need to worry about, after that the climb is no more than 5%.
Although that's easy for me to say on slick 25mm tyres pumped to 115 psi.

But from Whiteways the world is your lobster, there's so many tracks if you don't like an incline go round it.

The Monarch's Way goes straight through Whiteways so not only do you have all of that to play in, you have a route through to Eartham woods and beyond:-

https://www.walkandcycle.co.uk/trail?trailcode=SUSSTR0123

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
T'is a much loved descent when the 'geeks' come over to play!, they aren't so happy going up.

In fairness it's only the first section you need to worry about, after that the climb is no more than 5%.
Although that's easy for me to say on slick 25mm tyres pumped to 115 psi.

But from Whiteways the world is your lobster, there's so many tracks if you don't like an incline go round it.

The Monarch's Way goes straight through Whiteways so not only do you have all of that to play in, you have a route through to Eartham woods and beyond:-

https://www.walkandcycle.co.uk/trail?trailcode=SUSSTR0123

Thank you very much.

I'm also doing an experimental ride this weekend to find a non-road or very minor road route from Arundel to Billingshurst to do a ride to work in the Summer, alternate, train in bike back, bike in train back etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you very much.

I'm also doing an experimental ride this weekend to find a non-road or very minor road route from Arundel to Billingshurst to do a ride to work in the Summer, alternate, train in bike back, bike in train back etc.
When we head up that way (skirting round to the right of B'hurst for the industrial northern wasteland that is Horsham) we go:-

W/Ways
Round the back of Amberley
Rackham
Wiggonholt - then a little bit of A283
West Chiltington
Broadford Bridge
Coneyhurst - at which point you'd need to go left on A272.

Although the map would suggest left at B'Bridge then right onto Marringdean Road.

With the exception of the little bit of A283, it's hard to imagine a traffic free-er route.
I'd also suggest doing it as your return journey - more down than up.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
When we head up that way (skirting round to the right of B'hurst for the industrial northern wasteland that is Horsham) we go:-

W/Ways
Round the back of Amberley
Rackham
Wiggonholt - then a little bit of A283
West Chiltington
Broadford Bridge
Coneyhurst - at which point you'd need to go left on A272.

Although the map would suggest left at B'Bridge then right onto Marringdean Road.

With the exception of the little bit of A283, it's hard to imagine a traffic free-er route.
I'd also suggest doing it as your return journey - more down than up.

That's a good shout, my slight issue is Arundel to Amberley, although there's a much longer way around South Down's route I could take from Black Rabbit, over to Houghton (few cows and hurdles to cross), down South Lane to Bridge Inn, along to Amberley and away? (*or just stick to the Spring Farm route to Whiteway's but it's a bit of a climb!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a good shout, my slight issue is Arundel to Amberley, although there's a much longer way around South Down's route I could take from Black Rabbit, over to Houghton (few cows and hurdles to cross), down South Lane to Bridge Inn, along to Amberley and away? (*or just stick to the Spring Farm route to Whiteway's but it's a bit of a climb!)
No idea.

Don't forget I'm a proper cyclist, on the road.
Not a bloke standing a field pointing off into the middle distance. :lol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As there seems to be some people down Arundel way do you have any intel on what the A29 is like between Washington and Fontwell? l dont have a problem with roads, rain or the dark but I'm not keen on thrashing up massive hills if riding long distances. A mild gradient is no problem rather than a seven sisters mark 2.
TIA

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As there seems to be some people down Arundel way do you have any intel on what the A29 is like between Washington and Fontwell? l dont have a problem with roads, rain or the dark but I'm not keen on thrashing up massive hills if riding long distances. A mild gradient is no problem rather than a seven sisters mark 2.
TIA

The A29 is more north to south while Wash to Font is east to west.

Washington to Fontwell:-

Off road - :shrug: I guess The Southdowns Way would pick up most of the slack.

On road - It's a decent stretch of undulating road, not shy of traffic, but nothing serious.
It has a couple of 'spikes' but nothing long.

Either way you'll hit a climb due to the river Arun cutting through The Downs at Houghton, about halfway.
On the road, the climb is a testing mile that after the initial ramp settles down to sub 10%.

The A29:-

It's no A23/24 or 27
We'll ride stretches of it, when needs must.
Either route you'll pick it up North of Arundel to take you down to Fontwell.
It's not a problem to ride.
A stones throw from the Arundel roundabout (Whiteways) is Bury Hill, that's not for you!!

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The A29 is more north to south while Wash to Font is east to west.

Washington to Fontwell:-

Off road - :shrug: I guess The Southdowns Way would pick up most of the slack.

On road - It's a decent stretch of undulating road, not shy of traffic, but nothing serious.
It has a couple of 'spikes' but nothing long.

Either way you'll hit a climb due to the river Arun cutting through The Downs at Houghton, about halfway.
On the road, the climb is a testing mile that after the initial ramp settles down to sub 10%.

The A29:-

It's no A23/24 or 27
We'll ride stretches of it, when needs must.
Either route you'll pick it up North of Arundel to take you down to Fontwell.
It's not a problem to ride.
A stones throw from the Arundel roundabout (Whiteways) is Bury Hill, that's not for you!!

Cheers, I may well give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here