Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After 19 games...

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Things got out of hand when the FA officially endorsed the Foucault response to developments in modern football.

I had a long exchange on this subject with a Bury fan this week. I had a good old foul-mouthed rant about the evils of Blattini, Sky, EPL and the fact that modern football is just a mechanism for scooping up small amounts of money from a huge number of people in order to put huge amounts of money in the pockets of a small number of people.

I think it's interesting that the abolition of the minimum wage was "a development in modern football" when it happened. I think I loathe modern football but I don't really. Yesterday was joyous. I just want things to be more in tune with the discourse of my youth. Or, perhaps as Foucault would see it, resistance to the evolving discourse is my problem.

My (vain) hope is that Marx was right all along and today's 'red in tooth and claw' capitalism will collapse under the weight of its own greed. Mrs Shug tells me there was an article in the FT (?) this week where even some Hedge Fund Managers are willing to acknowledge that the balance between capital and labour has become obscenely skewed in favour of money. If only!

In short, football will continue to rot (in our eyes anyway) until one of Michel's paradigm shifts happens along.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
You have captured the modern game beautifully in a few sentences. Alongside the abolition of the minimum wage I would say that the introduction of Murdoch's Sky money has destroyed the game for the purist. It's a sad indictment that the modern footballer cares more about his commercial deals than playing for his country.

QUOTE=Shuggie;6068815]I had a long exchange on this subject with a Bury fan this week. I had a good old foul-mouthed rant about the evils of Blattini, Sky, EPL and the fact that modern football is just a mechanism for scooping up small amounts of money from a huge number of people in order to put huge amounts of money in the pockets of a small number of people.

I think it's interesting that the abolition of the minimum wage was "a development in modern football" when it happened. I think I loathe modern football but I don't really. Yesterday was joyous. I just want things to be more in tune with the discourse of my youth. Or, perhaps as Foucault would see it, resistance to the evolving discourse is my problem.

My (vain) hope is that Marx was right all along and today's 'red in tooth and claw' capitalism will collapse under the weight of its own greed. Mrs Shug tells me there was an article in the FT (?) this week where even some Hedge Fund Managers are willing to acknowledge that the balance between capital and labour has become obscenely skewed in favour of money. If only!

In short, football will continue to rot (in our eyes anyway) until one of Michel's paradigm shifts happens along.[/QUOTE]

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't keep using that excuse forever. Squad is decidedly weaker than last season if only through the loss of Bridge.

Squad is miles stronger than last season. Ince, Upson, Leo, Jake, Bruno, Lita. Crofts has been like a new player too.
Ward's been quality, if not in the same league as Bridge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here