Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] After 12 games, Albion's four Premier League seasons

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Comments like that are just absolutely nonsense and undermine your credibility. Only two games ago it was his change of formation and tactics that ran Liverpool ragged. The players executed them excellently and we could have been 2 up at half time. Absolutely zero sign that they weren’t bought in.
Take VAR away and the finger nails off side we would of lost 3-1 :shrug: could of should of seems to be the story game after game.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I tend to agree. That long contract extension just removed any pressure from Potter. How many of us are guaranteed our job for at least 5 years knowing that if the boss decides to get rid of us in the next 5 years because we are shit we would get paid in full for 5 years work?

A reckless gamble that just doesn't appear to have paid off.

Exactly - Mourinho has millions in the bank from previous under-achievement - I even think he manipulated situations to get fired. I hate that side of football.
I am 100% sure that GP is a more honest/sincere person, but such a long contract extension must change the pressure-dynamics...he's only human...not his fault at all (well, he could have refused it I guess!), he seemed just as surprised by the early extension as the Brighton fans!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I tend to agree. That long contract extension just removed any pressure from Potter. How many of us are guaranteed our job for at least 5 years knowing that if the boss decides to get rid of us in the next 5 years because we are shit we would get paid in full for 5 years work?

A reckless gamble that just doesn't appear to have paid off.

Couldn't disagree with that more. Just look at Potter's history and his career. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he'd be happy to just cruise and take the money, he is totally driven to succeed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
One game on from the last thread are we doing any better (spoiler: after a 3-0 defeat, the answer is kinda obvious)...

Position
2017-18 9th
2018-19 12th
2019-20 11th
2020-21 16th

2018-19 14
2019-20 15
2020-21 10

Goal Difference
2017-18 0
2018-19 -5
2019-20 -2
2020-21 -6

Goals Scored
2017-18 13
2018-19 13
2019-20 15
2020-21 15

Goals Conceded
2017-18 13
2018-19 18
2019-20 17
2020-21 21

These stats are more telling and more relevant than the Potter in or out thread.

Taking into account the levels at the relevant time, unfortunately I put Graham Potter is the same category as Jimmy Case, Jeff Wood and Hinsh, he's out of his depth and if we don't act now we will go down. The only caveat of him staying would be if they were to bring in an experienced Number Two at this level before Xmas, then again I'd imagine they are as rare as Hens Teeth.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Couldn't disagree with that more. Just look at Potter's history and his career. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he'd be happy to just cruise and take the money, he is totally driven to succeed.

Did I say that he was cruising and just taking his wedge? Well...did I?

No, what I said that he had the pressure removed because his job is guaranteed for 5 years and if we sacked him then he would get his full wedge anyway.

But now you mention it, on the touchline and in press conferences he doesn't appear to me to be "totally driven". If he is, and you clearly know him better than I do, he is doing a fine job of covering it up.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
What does that prove that isn't true, sorry I don't follow? That the pandemic has had no impact whatsoever on results, is that what you've demonstrated? Or that Sheff Utd are not affected by no support? I honestly don't know. Neither of us can quantify what a lack of support does for teams. Some at home have supporters on their backs and may well feel a bit less pressure, maybe Villa as an example. Others like Sheff Utd seemed to be roared on by their support. Who knows. I was acknowledging that the pandemic must have some impact - perhaps for you it's no impact at all?

I agree the pandemic must have had some impact but to what effect I'm not sure, some freak results during Covid, Villa beating Liverpool 7-2 and Man. Utd. beaten 1-6 by Spurs on the same weekend.

2019-20 Southampton were beaten by Leicester 0-9 they were also beaten 1-4 by Chelsea, both before Covid. Southampton finished in a creditable 11th place.

It appears that some teams have been more effected than others Man Utd. for example 6 home games 1 win and us 6 home games 0 wins,

we came out of lockdown and only managed 1 home win against Arsenal, but there is a caveat to this three of the games were against Man Utd. Liverpool and Man City,

so it probably wouldn't have mattered if we had a full house at the Amex for those games, who knows? We finished the season with a bore draw against Newcastle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree the pandemic must have had some impact but to what effect I'm not sure, some freak results during Covid, Villa beating Liverpool 7-2 and Man. Utd. beaten 1-6 by Spurs on the same weekend.

2019-20 Southampton were beaten by Leicester 0-9 they were also beaten 1-4 by Chelsea, both before Covid. Southampton finished in a creditable 11th place.

It appears that some teams have been more effected than others Man Utd. for example 6 home games 1 win and us 6 home games 0 wins,

we came out of lockdown and only managed 1 home win against Arsenal, but there is a caveat to this three of the games were against Man Utd. Liverpool and Man City,

so it probably wouldn't have mattered if we had a full house at the Amex for those games, who knows? We finished the season with a bore draw against Newcastle.

We finished the season with no supporters in the ground to entertain with our highest PL points total and did what needed to be done.

It's interesting you bring up the 2020 home games.

I think we are:
P15 W1 D7 L7 pts10

Not great, but those 15 games include:
Liverpool x2
Chelsea x2
Man Utd x2
Man City
Arsenal

We had 7 games against opposition we feel we should be properly competing with - we only lost 2 of those games, 1 was Southampton last week who are 4th, 2 points off top of the league.

I'm not justifying this as amazing stats. But a bit of context for some people wouldn't go amiss.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The problem for me is not just with Potter but the recruitment. I've said before there are not many players in the front side who have not got glaring weaknesses. Apart from the bottom few, this doesn't normally happen in a Premier League side and you don't get away with it for long.

You play Ryan because you want a ball playing keeper, comfortable with distribution but because of his side he can't command the 18 yd box.
Gross for free kicks, terribly lacking in pace.
Burn for defending set-pieces, can't defend.
Webster solid defender, loses the ball too often going forward.
Lallana class, injury prone.
Maupay neat and tidy in buildup, can't finish.
Trossard see above.
March good wingback, bad decision making.

I like all these players but they seem to be really suffering with their bad stuff at the same time.

White, Dunk (but his influence is waning), Bissouma and Alzate are the future because they are all round good players with no major weaknesses.

Shearer kept bringing up our biggest collective weakness last night. Our decision making and finishing in the final third is woeful.

I will always support the team but I'm now hoping for finishing 17th every year because without spending more on players' wages we are just waiting to go down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We finished the season with no supporters in the ground to entertain with our highest PL points total and did what needed to be done.

I think we are:
P15 W1 D7 L7 pts10

Liverpool x2
Chelsea x2
Man Utd x2
Man City
Arsenal

We had 7 games against opposition we feel we should be properly competing with - we only lost 2 of those games, 1 was Southampton last week who are 4th, 2 points off top of the league.

I'm not justifying this as amazing stats. But a bit of context for some people wouldn't go amiss.
There you go again, fanboy.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

I think we are:
P15 W1 D7 L7 pts10

Liverpool x2
Chelsea x2
Man Utd x2
Man City
Arsenal

I can't disagree with you, I think the majority of people are realistic, I'm sitting in the Potter out camp at the moment sadly, but the question is who would do a better job and I'm struggling for an answer.

Potter only needs to win a few home games for most people to be off the fence and backing him, his style of football at times has been better than under Hughton in the Premier League.

I personally feel that the next two games are critical for Potter, I'm praying the boy turns it around and we get all 6 points. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here