Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] After 11 games - Albion's Premier League campaigns ranked

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The points total on its own isn’t that helpful without knowing who we have played in those first 11 games. What would be more useful is to see how many points we have/had against the predicted tracker. That’s a better measure as it’s less reliant on the fixture list.

11 games is enough for the fixtures played to be representative

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The points total on its own isn’t that helpful without knowing who we have played in those first 11 games. What would be more useful is to see how many points we have/had against the predicted tracker. That’s a better measure as it’s less reliant on the fixture list.

I've added that into the opening post, replicated here:

Tracker
2017-18 - +5
2018-19 - +2
2019-20 - 0
2020-21 - -3

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
We have played 125 premier league games and have a total of 127 points. A point a game is kind of where we are at, this year is no exception. I fully expect us to be finishing on anywhere from 34 - 42 points this year.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Southampton are a very good side. Even with Ings and Redmond starting from the bench I thought it would be a tough game for us.

If 11 games is representative as [MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION] has said, then at home we've played:
2nd
3rd
5th
6th
18th
19th

We have 3 points from those games. There is no real positive spin on that, but just perhaps some perspective. Frustratingly the 18th and 19th games delivered just two points. The game against the 6th place team was a travesty we didn't win the game after dominating.

We've been used to getting points on the board early, then having a New Year's slump. Basically we have negated our New Year slump this time, we can't afford to have one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We drew with Burnley and West Brom. I'm judging: we're pants.

So easy just to look at an early table, see the bottom 3 sides and automatically conclude you should be winning those. Burnley are in a false position really. They played Spurs, Chelsea, ManCity in a row. Around that they've been hard to beat with draws against us, Everton, West Brom, Newcastle. They beat Palace. They're no push overs.

However there is no glossing over that we are able at home to look a very impressive side against ManUtd, Liverpool, Chelsea, but a poor one against West Brom, Burnley and particularly Southampton who weren't that great themselves, but are looking a very good team this season.

Seems to be a bit of an issue when we're the side that should be taking it to the other time. Perhaps that's why our away form is good, and our performances against the so called better sides.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We have scored in every PL game bar home to Burnley. Goals scored is not the main issue. It is defending, particularly set pieces ( must be in double figures now ) We do not have strong dominant CB's. Dunk has lost his focus and is running around like a headless chicken. White and Webster aren't strong enough in the air....oh...sorry....forgot.....thats not why they are in the side. Its for their ball carrying abilities out of defence. We have a small keeper and a midget at RB.
Hughton built the team around a strong fortress at the back...Dunk, Duffy, Murray, Stephens, Hemed etc. Teams found it difficult to score set pieces against us and we were more dangerous ourselves at the other end of the field. Now we are incapable of keeping clean sheets.
So you don't think a more clinical striker alongside Welbeck would help? Also, I'm aware we've lost a bit of physicality in defence, I can't see us buying another centre back in January , which is why I said a new goalkeeper similar to Pope. I'm not DEMANDING these improvements either and I don't know who would be available to us, just think we could fly up the league if we did.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Scoring for fun, conceding for fun?

Position
2017-18, 2019-20 8th
2018-19 12th
2020-21 16th

2018-19 14
2020-21 10

Tracker
2017-18 - +5
2018-19 - +2
2019-20 - 0
2020-21 - -3

Goal Difference
2017-18, 2019-20 0
2020-21 -3
2018-19 -4

Goals Scored
2020-21 15
2019-20 14
2018-19 12
2017-18 11

Goals Conceded
2017-18 11
2019-20 14
2018-19 16
2020-21 18

Bit harsh to judge at this stage. It has definitely been a much harder start than we have had in the Premier League before. I did warn you in the tracker thread. Let's see how it compares at the end of the year. Our second half is much easier on paper, and with crowds coming back home advantage should start counting more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bit harsh to judge at this stage. It has definitely been a much harder start than we have had in the Premier League before. I did warn you in the tracker thread. Let's see how it compares at the end of the year. Our second half is much easier on paper, and with crowds coming back home advantage should start counting more.

I wasn't judging, just ranking.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Performances count for nothing. Spurs show that possession counts for nothing. Points count and that means score more and let in fewer! It is a big worry now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I guess for many people it boils down to "Am I happy with crap results because the football's nice?" and a lot of people seem to be entirely. Personally I'm not but each to their own.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
But we weren’t very good at defending set pieces in the Premier League under Hughton either, everyone forgets that because it doesn’t suit their agenda.

Ryan and Dunk are the common denominators and maybe should be looked at more than the system or manager.

That's not to say I'm anti potter btw but I just think there are some clear flaws where quite often we are leaving dangerous attacking CBs completely unmarked. Last night too many times Vestegaard was left solely on his own, or marked by March. Its a given he's 6ft 7 but we don't just seem to be able to completely drift through defences with Dan Burn, because most people seem to mark him out. There was a period where we were dire with set pieces under Hughton but solidified for a bit but then whole team went to pot in the second half of the season. The only team I can remember recently who committed to zonal and had this much of a bad time with set plays was towards the end of Wenger's reign at Arsenal. We are clearly not doing something right attacking set plays as well because we never win the first ball in the box.

i think this season is going to be unlike any other. we have started slow but think we will pick up momentum - cant see us going on looooong sequence without win in the second half of the season like the last 2 years. I think we will get a draw at Leicester - they play alot like villa did, turn over Fulham away and then beat both sheff united AND Arsenal (so a very optimistic 10 points from 12). ..and then he comes down from cloud cookoo land...

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
But still all the usual idiots will reel out the 'easy on the eye' football and pretend things are completely fine and think this is part of Potters 'top 10' plan. By that i assume they mean going down to the Championship first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here