Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Affordable Strikers

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Heres a few strikers currently playing in league 2 that are possibly affordable, i am only going by stats and dont really have any first hand knowledge of any of them.

So if you have seen them and think they are pretty good or maybe you think they are crap, please say.

Just got a bit fed up with all the talk of Pitman who has gone to Bristol City and Le Fondre who is clearly being priced out of our range, so thought i would have a look to see who else is out there.

James Hanson Bradford City- Age 22, scored 12 goals in 37 games for Bradford last season, his first in the football league. Was previously prolific in Non league scoring 63 goals in 88 games for Eccleshill United and Guiseley.

Greg Pearson Burton Albion - Age 25, scored 33 goals in 84 games for Burton since 2008, previously played 64 times for Bishop Stortford scoring 42 times in two seasons.

Phil Jevons Morecambe - Age 31, scored 18 goals in 42 games for Morecambe last season as Morecambe won promotion from the Conference, has only just signed a permanent contract but Morecambe may have to listen to any decent offers. Jevons seems like he has been around for ever but is only 31 years old. Previously played for Yeovil and Bristol City amongst others and had a decent scoring record at both. Wasnt so good for Huddersfield though.

James Constable Oxford United - Age 25, scored 45 goals in 81 games for Oxford over the last two seasons. Has previously played for Walsall, Kidderminster and Shrewsbury but was not prolific for any of them.

Yemi Odubade Stevenage - Age 26, scored 14 goals in 39 appearances last season for Stevenage. Im sure a few on NSC will know about this player from his previous spells with Eastbourne Town and Borough where he was prolific for both. Also spent 3 seasons with Oxford United where he had a scoring ratio of about 1 in 4.

To be honest i couldnt find a lot more out there, and statistically Elliott Benyon didn't seem that good. (No wonder Gus is struggling).
Feel free to pull this list apart, it really doesn't matter i was just bored.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Heres a few strikers currently playing in league 2 that are possibly affordable, i am only going by stats and dont really have any first hand knowledge of any of them.

So if you have seen them and think they are pretty good or maybe you think they are crap, please say.

Just got a bit fed up with all the talk of Pitman who has gone to Bristol City and Le Fondre who is clearly being priced out of our range, so thought i would have a look to see who else is out there.

James Hanson Bradford City- Age 22, scored 12 goals in 37 games for Bradford last season, his first in the football league. Was previously prolific in Non league scoring 63 goals in 88 games for Eccleshill United and Guiseley.

Greg Pearson Burton Albion - Age 25, scored 33 goals in 84 games for Burton since 2008, previously played 64 times for Bishop Stortford scoring 42 times in two seasons.

Phil Jevons Morecambe - Age 31, scored 18 goals in 42 games for Morecambe last season as Morecambe won promotion from the Conference, has only just signed a permanent contract but Morecambe may have to listen to any decent offers. Jevons seems like he has been around for ever but is only 31 years old. Previously played for Yeovil and Bristol City amongst others and had a decent scoring record at both. Wasnt so good for Huddersfield though.

James Constable Oxford United - Age 25, scored 45 goals in 81 games for Oxford over the last two seasons. Has previously played for Walsall, Kidderminster and Shrewsbury but was not prolific for any of them.

Yemi Odubade Stevenage - Age 26, scored 14 goals in 39 appearances last season for Stevenage. Im sure a few on NSC will know about this player from his previous spells with Eastbourne Town and Borough where he was prolific for both. Also spent 3 seasons with Oxford United where he had a scoring ratio of about 1 in 4.

To be honest i couldnt find a lot more out there, and statistically Elliott Benyon didn't seem that good. (No wonder Gus is struggling).
Feel free to pull this list apart, it really doesn't matter i was just bored.

I think Benyon has come into form from the end of last season, and is still in a good vein of form now. The players on your list seem like they have scored a lot in non-league football, and we have seen how people have reacted from the last striker Gus bought due to good performances in non league... :laugh:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What a great thread, maybe some of the lickers will see how difficult it is, difficult to get excited about any of those, really

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
I think this thread sums up the problem Gus is having. It's slim pickings, I would add James brown and theo Robinson to this list.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I havent included anyone outside of League 2, there are probably more to choose from in league 1 but..... they will cost more, assuming that their club are willing to sell to a rival.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Not a striker but I'd love it if we signed Ben Davies from Notts County. Was bought by them when they had the money and was one of the stand outs in league two last year.

I would have said Adam Le Fondre over the summer but his recent four goal spree has surely put his price up. Still this is the type of signing I think we should be looking to splash the cash on...

phoenix

May 18, 2009
If I was Gus, which i obviously am not, I would definitely be looking at poaching a player like Jermaine Easter from MK or Theo Robinson from Huddersfield.

Not very likely,Really good against Everon last night.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Paul Benson would be a good shout.

Paul Benson is a very good shout but again what price?

The trouble as i see it, is that the Pitman transfer, which is thought to be around a Million pound has set the bar, Pitman was only ever prolific in league 2 and had a good start to life in league 1. Now any club wilh a half decent striker is thinking if Pitman was worth a million then our lad is worth at least 500k.

I really feel for Gus, i think its a very hard task.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here