Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
That was terrible...again. Injuries are a red herring, there is more than enough there to compete with Bournemouth on the day.
Maybe March, Hinshelwood, Enciso and Mitoma would've improved us greatly if they had been fit all season however the rest have been bang out of form for most of the season and it doesn't compensate for the glaring gaps in midfield.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Even last season there were worrying signs. 1-5 at home to Everton (who were dire) and the 4-1 away at Newcastle.
FHS, why start deconstructing what was the best season on record the Club has ever had?

A 6th place finish in the Premier League, our first ever qualification in Europe, our football the envy and admiration of clubs and pundits throughout - a year where we also lost: Technical Director (Dan Ashworth), Head Coach (Potter), assistant coaches (Billy Reid, Bjorn Hamberg, Bruno, Ben Roberts and Kyle Macaulay), Head of Recruitment (Winstanley) and Academy Manager (John Morling.

This season has been dire but don’t pretend for one minute that anyone foresaw the ‘signs’ of this last season.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
FHS, why start deconstructing what was the best season on record the Club has ever had?

A 6th place finish in the Premier League, our first ever qualification in Europe, our football the envy and admiration of clubs and pundits throughout - a year where we also lost: Technical Director (Dan Ashworth), Head Coach (Potter), assistant coaches (Billy Reid, Bjorn Hamberg, Bruno, Ben Roberts and Kyle Macaulay), Head of Recruitment (Winstanley) and Academy Manager (John Morling.

This season has been dire but don’t pretend for one minute that anyone foresaw the ‘signs’ of this last season.
My point was/is that when his football works it is spectacular but those games did show a floor in his tactical set-up that now is happening EVERY GAME! I certainly did not forsee this situation. There are a lot on here pretending the on-field issues are down to injuries or recruitment. In my view it's down to RDZs unwillingness to be pragmatic or to have a plan b. Yes some injuries have effected things but the players in the squad today are more than capable of going toe to toe with Bournemouth.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ffs does this mean we’ll be last on MOTD2 again later. ???

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I can’t see where the next goal is going to come from. We are creating so little.
Up to January/February we were creating so many chances per game, at least 15-20 with 8ish on target. Now it seems it looks like 6-8 chances with 2-3 on target. Something is wrong somewhere. Losing to Roma, it seems to knock our confidence badly. It needed our mind-set resetting but maybe RDZ couldn't manage this, with all the noise about moving to other clubs took his attention away slightly. Adding to this our injury problems and its a downhill slippery slope. I was hoping that we could finish above chelsea, cp and wh this season but it looks a daunting task right now. Top 10 finish would be a pretty good finish though.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Great managers like Guardiola think up new ways to play. When they get sussed out and teams change to counteract them they evolve again with new solutions. De Zerbi found a new way to play and has be sussed out. However he still hasn’t done the evolving bit which has caused our downfall

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Up to January/February we were creating so many chances per game, at least 15-20 with 8ish on target. Now it seems it looks like 6-8 chances with 2-3 on target. Something is wrong somewhere. Losing to Roma, it seems to knock our confidence badly. It needed our mind-set resetting but maybe RDZ couldn't manage this, with all the noise about moving to other clubs took his attention away slightly. Adding to this our injury problems and its a downhill slippery slope. I was hoping that we could finish above chelsea, cp and wh this season but it looks a daunting task right now. Top 10 finish would be a pretty good finish though.
It's never good when a manager is openly uncertain about his future AND publicy questions the players ability. That bizarre Lallana interview was maybe the pinch point that belief had gone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great managers like Guardiola think up new ways to play. When they get sussed out and teams change to counteract them they evolve again with new solutions. De Zerbi found a new way to play and has be sussed out. However he still hasn’t done the evolving bit which has caused our downfall

£1b squad.

He's only ever managed the best or joint biggest spenders in a division.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The defence has been crap all season, a far cry from last.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Barco the best player on pitch for us. The rest been shocking
Does strike me as rather concerning that a 19 year old kid has been the best person on the pitch in both his very first and second starts for the Club. He is excellent and full of raw talent but has none of the experienced decision making and positional awareness that we should expect from his older teammates. Most of players are looking burnt-out and struggling with motivation - That Barco, who should by rights be barely managing 65-70 minutes for his age and experience , has looked the most energetic and forwardly aggressive player on the pitch in the past two matches is a sad reflection on where the rest of the squad are lacking it seems.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Yeah. Is it only two clean sheets all season? Not good enough really if we are aiming for a top 6-8 finish.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Since the Sheffield United demolition job back in February, we’ve scored five goals in all competitions

Welbeck - 2 (Roma & Liverpool)
Own Goal - 2 (Forest & Burnley)
Dunk - 1 (Everton)

That’s across 12 games in all competitions

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So you are suggesting only managers with £1bn squads are able to evolve their tactics. Funny how De Zerbi was actually able to get this poundland squad playing his way in the first place!

Colwill, Caicedo and Mac Allister were on a different level and some.

CM options of Lallana, Gilmour, Baleba (at this stage), Milner are embarrassing. I won't include Gross because he's still a great ACM, unluckily he's now playing with grandads or snails.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We play in a way that can make good defenders look crap. Fine when the goals are flowing. I suspect eventually they get fed up with being the fall guys and that probably isn’t healthy. We could either be brilliant again next season or lose all confidence and become a Sunderland-style defensive shambles. My money’s on the former… just about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here