Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It seems to me that when RDZ came in we were broadly riding the crest of a wave which he managed well to take on.

But like any sport or form that goes in cycles after peaking last year it appears we are slowly on the decline and RDZ has no real idea how to turn things around. When we were on the top of last season's wave most things turned to gold.

It's only times like these when adverse things happen that we see what somebody is capable of - RDZ and the players.

A highly deflating end to the season. Roll on the Euro's and the cricket season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Actually some of them haven’t apart from exercises in training - I suspect the many changes we’ve made this season due to injuries and bringing in so many young players to fill gaps and constantly using players out of position has completely undermined the coherency of the squad which has spilled out onto the pitch at times.

Unlike many others, I think this is a season specific, temporary problem - offloading some squad bloaters in the summer, buying another decent winger, defensive Midfielder and another FB (that can play right and left ideally) and doing so early on in the window so they have summer training to settle in, will go a long way IMO to building us up again for 24/25.

The key will also be not selling important players but giving them decent incentives to stay.

As Paul Barber said last week, the Club is well run with everyone aligned as to ambition and targets but when things aren’t going so well, it’s that alignment that helps you recover.
I am not generally disagreeing with what you have said, but my doubts are over whether de Zerbi is the man to lead the team when things aren’t going so well, regardless of ‘targets, ambition and alignment’.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Didn’t what the game as was at birthday party.

Judging by the scoreline let me guess, a lack of urgently and speed in our build up and no plan B after getting no success?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Credit your positivity but your post reads as if we’ve had a few bad weeks and fans are over reacting.

But the reality is we’ve been dire for ages. Even in Europe, other than the Marseille and Ajax home games where we played well, the other 4 group games the performance levels were poor, despite good results. Roma away we were shocking. Roma at home we beat a team who knew they barely had to try as they were already through. We limped out the FA cup at Wolves with nothing more than a whimper.

This is not a recent issue, we are in a massive rut and have been for 6 months or more now.
No, it reads that we've have a bad run for a while, after a fabulous start. Let's face it, top 4 is pretty much a pipe-dream nowadays and even achieving top 6 is a huge ask, on our budget.
We somehow managed it last year - we are nowhere near as good, this year, and that's down to a few things - things that have been gone over multiple times.
I don't see this as a time to change manager or any other knee-jerk reaction.
It's just a poor end to an initially promising season. It happens.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Didn’t what the game as was at birthday party.

Judging by the scoreline let me guess, a lack of urgently and speed in our build up and no plan B after getting no success?

If I was you I would have said a big "What? ? ? ?"

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
From bbc report

For all of Bournemouth's brilliance, Brighton were poor.

There is plenty of noise around Roberto de Zerbi's future at the club and the Italian cut a disconsolate figure on the touchline at times.

He was slouched in his seat after Bournemouth's opener and looked miserable and frustrated as the game wore on.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
From bbc report

For all of Bournemouth's brilliance, Brighton were poor.

There is plenty of noise around Roberto de Zerbi's future at the club and the Italian cut a disconsolate figure on the touchline at times.

He was slouched in his seat after Bournemouth's opener and looked miserable and frustrated as the game wore on.
Then he should've done something about it, sulking is pathetic.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
No, it reads that we've have a bad run for a while, after a fabulous start. Let's face it, top 4 is pretty much a pipe-dream nowadays and even achieving top 6 is a huge ask, on our budget.
We somehow managed it last year - we are nowhere near as good, this year, and that's down to a few things - things that have been gone over multiple times.
I don't see this as a time to change manager or any other knee-jerk reaction.
It's just a poor end to an initially promising season. It happens.
Even last season there were worrying signs. 1-5 at home to Everton (who were dire) and the 4-1 away at Newcastle.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
If you are going through a bad spell , the first thing you do is try to make sure you don’t lose ,
which means get the defence sorted out out , and make it difficult for the opposition to score ,
maybe get a couple of defensive draws then you get the confidence back in the team ,
what you don’t do is play open football against good sides who will take advantage of such tactics

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here