Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Ramadan occurs during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar (which is a lunar calendar). Muslims fast from when the crescent moon rises over Mecca, until the next crescent moon. Which is about 29 to 30 days.

They take no water or food during sunrise to sunset, so will wake around 03:00 for food, then prayers and probably get a couple more hours sleep before dawn. They break their fast again at sunset. A time of community, charity, prayer and learning.

A really nice part of their faith I think.

I learned today, that because the lunar calendar is 345 days (11 days shorter than the solar calendar), Ramadan moves every year. In 2033 Eid Al Fitr (final day of Ramadan - the festival of sweets) will land on Christmas Day. So that will be brilliant for Muslims living in the west.

Anyway, lesson over for today folks x
I always thought Ramadan must be a lot easier, depending on your latitude when it falls in the middle of winter vs falling in the middle of summer.

I wonder what Muslims do if Ramadan falls in the summer and they live in one of those places where the sun doesn't set in the summer? Although I doubt there are a whole lot of Norwegian Muslims.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I always thought Ramadan must be a lot easier, depending on your latitude when it falls in the middle of winter vs falling in the middle of summer.

I wonder what Muslims do if Ramadan falls in the summer and they live in one of those places where the sun doesn't set in the summer? Although I doubt there are a whole lot of Norwegian Muslims.
They follow the time in Mecca. 👍🏻

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ramadan occurs during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar (which is a lunar calendar). Muslims fast from when the crescent moon rises over Mecca, until the next crescent moon. Which is about 29 to 30 days.

They take no water or food during sunrise to sunset, so will wake around 03:00 for food, then prayers and probably get a couple more hours sleep before dawn. They break their fast again at sunset. A time of community, charity, prayer and learning.

A really nice part of their faith I think.

I learned today, that because the lunar calendar is 345 days (11 days shorter than the solar calendar), Ramadan moves every year. In 2033 Eid Al Fitr (final day of Ramadan - the festival of sweets) will land on Christmas Day. So that will be brilliant for Muslims living in the west.

Anyway, lesson over for today folks x
Also because they'll only have to fast for about 7 hours a day. I was full of admiration for my Muslim work colleagues who strictly observed Ramadam in mid-summer a few years ago.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Bizarre quote from commentator - ’Brighton have run out of ideas how to break down this Bournemouth team’.

After 22 minutes…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here