[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But the metro is still quicker (as long as you don't just miss one - then you'll have to wait 30 mins)
Yeah that's my 'Negative Nerys' issue, as I don't really have a spare 30 mins.
I was hoping they'd be a bit more frequent than that.

I'm back to doomcasting, only made worse by the months of negative internalized fear about Ajax, amounting to nothing as the entire trip was timed to perfection - that can't happen again!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Does anyone have experience of the Athens metro?

We don't arrive till 'late' - 13:45 next Thursday, but the ticket collection is in the hotel I'd already booked (result).

In theory we have plenty of time to get the metro from t'airplane to t'hotel, pick up tickets and check in.

But hotel is offering to collect us for €50 which, I dunno, just feels cheating!!

If the metro is recommended then happy days.
But if it's hap hazard, one an hour, loads of waiting and a ball ache to navigate (basically if it's run by Southern) then I guess I better cough up for a collection.
We're staying near the Acropolis. According to Tripadvisor, taxi should be around 45 Euro. We've not booked one yet but will probably do so. It sounds like quite a lot, yes, but we will have suitcases, so prefer to do without the hassle of dragging them round the Metro, cobbled streets etc.

Edit: just seen that you're a bit stuck for time. Hmm. I would pick up the phone and speak to the hotel directly. It may be that with traffic, a taxi will take longer. Also depends how near the hotel is to the Metro station etc. They will be able to advise.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Does anyone have experience of the Athens metro?

We don't arrive till 'late' - 13:45 next Thursday, but the ticket collection is in the hotel I'd already booked (result).

In theory we have plenty of time to get the metro from t'airplane to t'hotel, pick up tickets and check in.

But hotel is offering to collect us for €50 which, I dunno, just feels cheating!!

If the metro is recommended then happy days.
But if it's hap hazard, one an hour, loads of waiting and a ball ache to navigate (basically if it's run by Southern) then I guess I better cough up for a collection.
If it's going to ease some anxiety then it will be 50 Euros well spent. You can check out the metro on the return leg to the airport. :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We're staying near the Acropolis. According to Tripadvisor, taxi should be around 45 Euro. We've not booked one yet but will probably do so. It sounds like quite a lot, yes, but we will have suitcases, so prefer to do without the hassle of dragging them round the Metro, cobbled streets etc.

Edit: just seen that you're a bit stuck for time. Hmm. I would pick up the phone and speak to the hotel directly. It may be that with traffic, a taxi will take longer. Also depends how near the hotel is to the Metro station etc. They will be able to advise.
Burgess Hill to Gatwick is that much these days……doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Taxis are available outside Exit 3 of Arrivals Level. A taxi from the airport to the city centre costs a flat rate of €40 from 5 am to midnight, and €55 from midnight to 5 am. The rate is determined by the time of arrival at the destination and includes all applicable surcharges.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Taxis are available outside Exit 3 of Arrivals Level. A taxi from the airport to the city centre costs a flat rate of €40 from 5 am to midnight, and €55 from midnight to 5 am. The rate is determined by the time of arrival at the destination and includes all applicable surcharges.
Thanks, good to know

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The taxi driver from the airport Sunday evening charged 57€ which I'm certain was pricey but he was such good company, explaining why Albion should stuff AEK (he was a Panathanaikos fan) plus the fact we were stuck in a huge traffic jam for nearly 30 mins, meant I didn't begrudge it. We also covered the Elgin Marbles, COVID, Ukraine, Christmas starting too early, and Hamas. Like taxi drivers everywhere, he had an opinion on everything.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Notice the wording has changed to MUST take the buses to the stadium. They're expecting us to get buses almost 4 hours before kick off, for some bizarre reason, which IMO is ridiculous, especially with no alcohol or anything to do in the stadium. Guess a bottle of Raki, before you get on this bus is the only route now.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Notice the wording has changed to MUST take the buses to the stadium. They're expecting us to get buses almost 4 hours before kick off, for some bizarre reason, which IMO is ridiculous, especially with no alcohol or anything to do in the stadium. Guess a bottle of Raki, before you get on this bus is the only route now
But that's uninforceable.

If you're staying round the corner from the Stadium who is going to get the metro to the city centre only to be bussed back to the ground?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports