[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Perversely Burnley is the big un for me and the family this season.

A) (incredibly) I’ve never been
B) new ground for the boy
C) hopefully the wife will get a ticket as well (member)
D) I’ve got the weekend off
E) overnighter in a northern town (almost certainly Manchester)
F) Guaranteed three points**

** not guaranteed
I went a couple of seasons ago…….where we came from behind to win. Apart from the casual homophobia in the ground and grimness of the town, it was alright 🤣 Will probably go again !

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
The passing on wasn’t really Brentford, it was pretty much all away games and led to most of the arrests/issues we experienced didn’t it (and hence the random collection/ID checks) ?
Me and the boy are winners in this new clampdown on away tickets, since we got promoted and he was little we were very occasional travellers (during the 80s/early 90s I would have been T1 if such a thing existed)

When he got to about 11 he got the away match bug which reignited mine, but it was still in my mind a bit of a closed shop but we put the hours (and cash) in and broke through the glass ceiling and eventually, deservedly (IMO) ended up getting matches such as Palace and AEK.

We don’t go to every match due to other commitments so we expect to miss out on Brentford, Bournemouth and probably Fulham, but we’ll accept that, no moaning, no flounce.

So i think the system is OK (however there will always be tales of misuse that go unpunished)

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Me and the boy are winners in this new clampdown on away tickets, since we got promoted and he was little we were very occasional travellers (during the 80s/early 90s I would have been T1 if such a thing existed)

When he got to about 11 he got the away much bug which reignited mine, but it was still in my mind a bit of a closed shop but we put the hours (and cash) in and broke through the glass ceiling and eventually, deservedly (IMO) ended up getting matches such as Palace and AEK.

We don’t go to every match due to other commitments so we expect to miss out on Brentford, Bournemouth and probably Fulham, but we’ll accept that, no moaning, no flounce.

So i think the system is OK (however there will always be tales of misuse that go unpunished)
Me too, was clearly a problem previously. Seemed very OTT when announced but clearly beneficial to fans that are interested in going rather than just harvesting so they can pick and choose.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I haven't, no, because someone shared with me a copy of a live chat session they had with the club which indicates the club know it happened.

With this being the case, they don't need to tell them - they already know.

As such, I am sure measures will be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again, which is not much consolation to those who missed out today, I fully appreciate.

I wonder if it was as simple as the club wanting to allow Tier 2s their full window, up to 2pm, to purchase and didn't feel they could close it off early. Maybe in future, windows will have a buffer between them, say 15-30 minutes, where no sales can occur, the system is essentially closed, and all baskets flushed out before the next window opens.

I know the club have kind of done this before, but I'm not sure there have been sales windows with a defined break between them - it's been more informal than that.
Live chat just told me that people were kicked out of their baskets just before 2pm????

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My issue in all this is with UEFA and to a degree the club. 5% is just not fit for purpose in this day and age, and also it appears the club made no effort to negotiate with our opponents regarding the Amex allocation. We quite often huff and puff selling the last 1000 tickets so there would have been no harm in giving an extra 200/300 tickets.
Live chat just told me that people were kicked out of their baskets just before 2pm????
I've had sight of a live chat conversation from yesterday where the customer service rep said the absolute opposite.

And from all of us who were watching the tickets ahead of 2pm yesterday, we know tickets weren't released from baskets - they never came back.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Depends what they mean by "just before 2pm". 13:59:59 is fine, 13:58 isn’t.
I reckon they were cleared out around 12 minutes beforehand, thereby enabling plenty of time for some to be re-basketed by T1 and T2 fans before the buy button turned green for T3 people. That would have worked fine, except they wrongly kept the buy button green for T1 and T2.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting that some Ajax tickets have become avaiable this am.

For those wh have flights / hotels booked for Athens, personally I wouldn't cancel them yet - still a (slim) chance that there will be a few match tickets come on sale in the next couple of weeks....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting that some Ajax tickets have become avaiable this am.

For those wh have flights / hotels booked for Athens, personally I wouldn't cancel them yet - still a (slim) chance that there will be a few match tickets come on sale in the next couple of weeks....
Very much so - I was going to post the same yesterday.

I have an Athens ticket but I don't yet have travel.

Although I'd done a bit of scoping out of travel, I wasn't going to commit to it - as air fares are quite high - before I knew I had a ticket. So now I need to sort that bit out. If I can't find something I'm happy to take this week, then I'll hand the ticket back. I can't be alone in this position.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

Although I'd done a bit of scoping out of travel, I wasn't going to commit to it - as air fares are quite high - before I knew I had a ticket. So now I need to sort that bit out. If I can't find something I'm happy to take this week, then I'll hand the ticket back. I can't be alone in this position.
I’ve mentioned this before but if anyone has the ability to take extra holiday / time off domestic duties, it’s actually cheaper to spend longer in Athens than to just take a short break. Last time I looked, you can get an EasyJet flight quite cheaply earlier in that week. We’ve booked an EasyJet holiday, 7 nights for about £430 pp, flight+hotel. And even cheaper deals are available, presumably with less central hotels. For anyone interested in history, art and culture (most NSC-ers, surely), it’s a great city for an extended break. Only downside is spending more days paying out for food and drink though that can still be cheap with a bit of effort.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve mentioned this before but if anyone has the ability to take extra holiday / time off domestic duties, it’s actually cheaper to spend longer in Athens than to just take a short break. Last time I looked, you can get an EasyJet flight quite cheaply earlier in that week. We’ve booked an EasyJet holiday, 7 nights for about £430 pp, flight+hotel. And even cheaper deals are available, presumably with less central hotels. For anyone interested in history, art and culture (most NSC-ers, surely), it’s a great city for an extended break. Only downside is spending more days paying out for food and drink though that can still be cheap with a bit of effort.

Have done the same.
Booked a 7 day easyJet Holiday for the Monday to Monday

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a good shout, in another time, I'd have taken Mrs Giraffe and had a great time I'm sure. I do regret not being able to spend proper time in these places as work commitments prevent me getting there longer than a couple of days.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

Yeah, my son, who's at Liverpool Uni, has got his ticket but I didn't get one so we'll hang on and see what happens before returning it.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Yeah, my son, who's at Liverpool Uni, has got his ticket but I didn't get one so we'll hang on and see what happens before returning it.
I was going to meet him up there and fly from Manchester where it's about £165!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I was going to meet him up there and fly from Manchester where it's about £165!
Don't give up yet. Some Ajax tickets went back on sale today, and apparently the deadline for returns was yesterday. So keep an eye open for the AEK returns date and keep checking after that for tix going back on sale. Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports