[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My heart goes out to people in your situation. I do live in Sussex and I retired last year, so am finally able to go regularly. This year was the first I’ve felt able to buy a season ticket as I could never previously be sure of going to many games. On top of that I’ve been filling my boots with away matches to help build up my points. People like you, with long journeys to make, have my utmost respect. I wish there was some way the club could flag up fans like you for slightly preferential treatment in situations like the EL away games, big cup ties etc.
Thanks CM, it is what it is. Missed tier 2 by 1 point! Appreciate your kind sentiment, but really wouldn't want special treatment anyway. I chose my profession and many aways where i can go, are closer for me than Sussex based fans.

The system is probably the fairest it can be for the majority, but one size fits all, it isn't.

Happy to do distance to Amex to see the lads, just wish work would allow more opportunities.

Glad you're loving retirement. Couple of years yet, cannot wait.

Enjoy Athens.

UTA

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
There do appear to be some strong suspicions that T1 and T2 STHs basketed tickets for T3 people ahead of 2.00pm. The alleged failure by the club to clear out all basketed tickets immediately prior to the window opening, in accordance with past practice, has seemingly denied other T3 fans the opportunity to purchase tickets.
I dont them reversing the purchases or even admitting this (if true) as there’s plenty more at stake with international travel and accommodation booked (on the strength of getting a T3 ticket) opposed to petrol money to Bournemouth

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you raised it with the club?
If so, have you had response?
I haven't, no, because someone shared with me a copy of a live chat session they had with the club which indicates the club know it happened.

With this being the case, they don't need to tell them - they already know.

As such, I am sure measures will be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again, which is not much consolation to those who missed out today, I fully appreciate.

I wonder if it was as simple as the club wanting to allow Tier 2s their full window, up to 2pm, to purchase and didn't feel they could close it off early. Maybe in future, windows will have a buffer between them, say 15-30 minutes, where no sales can occur, the system is essentially closed, and all baskets flushed out before the next window opens.

I know the club have kind of done this before, but I'm not sure there have been sales windows with a defined break between them - it's been more informal than that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I dont them reversing the purchases or even admitting this (if true) as there’s plenty more at stake with international travel and accommodation booked (on the strength of getting a T3 ticket) opposed to petrol money to Bournemouth
Imagine now going to someone who bought this afternoon, then went and spent a grand or so on a flight and hotel only to tell them they actually don’t have a ticket now as they’re being resold 😬😬

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Imagine now going to someone who bought this afternoon, then went and spent a grand or so on a flight and hotel only to tell them they actually don’t have a ticket now as they’re being resold 😬😬
Agree!

Although isn’t this what quite a few airlines with routes into and hoteliers based in Marseille did!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I haven't, no, because someone shared with me a copy of a live chat session they had with the club which indicates the club know it happened.

With this being the case, they don't need to tell them - they already know.

As such, I am sure measures will be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again, which is not much consolation to those who missed out today, I fully appreciate.

I wonder if it was as simple as the club wanting to allow Tier 2s their full window, up to 2pm, to purchase and didn't feel they could close it off early. Maybe in future, windows will have a buffer between them, say 15-30 minutes, where no sales can occur, the system is essentially closed, and all baskets flushed out before the next window opens.

I know the club have kind of done this before, but I'm not sure there have been sales windows with a defined break between them - it's been more informal than that.
That makes perfect sense.

Close 1 hour before next window opens, and only allow lower tiers to allocate to higher tiers in first hour of new window. (Today if only tier 3 could allocate friend/family tier 1/2 and not other way around)

No more issue

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah you can't.

Plus, got to be honest, if I knew someone in higher tier or of such loophole, I'm not so sure I would be such a puritan as to not use it as well!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’m sure that there has been a previous instance whereby a technical glitch (or human error) allowed fans to purchase tickets for a game at a point earlier than they should have been allowed to buy. I recollect that in that instance the club reversed these purchases? Should the same action be taken again? I appreciate that there is a fine line between gaming the system, exploiting technical glitches and deliberately securing tickets ahead of the permitted window.
Thing is all these tickets for AEK have been bought and assigned to people who have the right amount of points. The previous instance (which I believe was Brentford 2021/22) was people who weren’t eligible at all buying tickets and having them assigned to them. It would incredibly harsh on people like Mr. mustard who has not gamed the system.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
My issue in all this is with UEFA and to a degree the club. 5% is just not fit for purpose in this day and age, and also it appears the club made no effort to negotiate with our opponents regarding the Amex allocation. We quite often huff and puff selling the last 1000 tickets so there would have been no harm in giving an extra 200/300 tickets.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
My issue in all this is with UEFA and to a degree the club. 5% is just not fit for purpose in this day and age, and also it appears the club made no effort to negotiate with our opponents regarding the Amex allocation. We quite often huff and puff selling the last 1000 tickets so there would have been no harm in giving an extra 200/300 tickets.
But 5% was more than sufficient for our first ever European game in our 122 year history, in our nearest neighbouring country. Asking a lot to fine tune our allocation to exactly match the demand. And almost 50% of those in Tier 1 who pre-registered for Athens did not take up their tickets.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Anyone that got a flight but no tik and want to sell your flight send me a dm please

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Thing is all these tickets for AEK have been bought and assigned to people who have the right amount of points. The previous instance (which I believe was Brentford 2021/22) was people who weren’t eligible at all buying tickets and having them assigned to them. It would incredibly harsh on people like Mr. mustard who has not gamed the system.
It was folk who were eligible buying them, then passing them on that was the issue at Brentford and prior to that.

Not so different from eligible folk sticking them in their basket in tier 2, so they can be assigned when tier 3 opens.

If the club can identify those who did that, and they will be able to, then I can well imagine them treating them in the same way, I.e. default purchase and points deduction. Consistency is good, right?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How do you know the club didn’t try to negotiate more ? Also, an extra 2-300 almost certainly doesn’t work from a segregation perspective……..

5% is low though.……although away attendance numbers across European leagues are hugely variable (German teams take loads, Spanish teams hardly any for example)

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
How do you know the club didn’t try to negotiate more ? Also, an extra 2-300 almost certainly doesn’t work from a segregation perspective……..
First point, I don’t (however since when has that been a requirement for a comment on here?🤣)
Second point, you’re probably right. I hadn’t given it that much thought.

I’m just sounding off as in two of the three matches the allocation was inadequate, and as I was on the cusp for both it was a very stressful three or four week’s thinking about it. (I’ll settle for the end product as I was unsuccessful in one but had a result in the other)

My heart genuinely goes out to those that missed out as I know how they feel.

As I’ve quoted on here before, it was a learning curve for us all and personally I dismissed Marseilles as the least appealing trip, so by the time the penny dropped that tickets were plentiful I had no holiday/dog care etc.

Next time, hopefully within a season or two I’ll get tickets first, THEN book travel and days off, it’s probably less stressful!

We didn’t have these problems in 2009!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First point, I don’t (however since when has that been a requirement for a comment on here?🤣)
Second point, you’re probably right. I hadn’t given it that much thought.

I’m just sounding off as in two of the three matches the allocation was inadequate, and as I was on the cusp for both it was a very stressful three or four week’s thinking about it. (I’ll settle for the end product as I was unsuccessful in one but had a result in the other)

My heart genuinely goes out to those that missed out as I know how they feel.

As I’ve quoted on here before, it was a learning curve for us all and personally I dismissed Marseilles as the least appealing trip, so by the time the penny dropped that tickets were plentiful I had no holiday/dog care etc.

Next time, hopefully within a season or two I’ll get tickets first, THEN book travel and days off, it’s probably less stressful!

We didn’t have these problems in 2009!!
Worse, going to have to go to Burnley away now just for the points 😭😭

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It was folk who were eligible buying them, then passing them on that was the issue at Brentford and prior to that.

Not so different from eligible folk sticking them in their basket in tier 2, so they can be assigned when tier 3 opens.

If the club can identify those who did that, and they will be able to, then I can well imagine them treating them in the same way, I.e. default purchase and points deduction. Consistency is good, right?
There was a problem with that, but the issue that happened on that game was anyone could buy a ticket for some reason, and anyone who wasn’t eligible had their order cancelled. The passing on issue at Brentford happened in 2022/23.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Worse, going to have to go to Burnley away now just for the points 😭😭
Perversely Burnley is the big un for me and the family this season.

A) (incredibly) I’ve never been
B) new ground for the boy
C) hopefully the wife will get a ticket as well (member)
D) I’ve got the weekend off
E) overnighter in a northern town (almost certainly Manchester)
F) Guaranteed three points**

** not guaranteed

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There was a problem with that, but the issue that happened on that game was anyone could buy a ticket for some reason, and anyone who wasn’t eligible had their order cancelled. The passing on issue at Brentford happened in 2022/23.
The passing on wasn’t really Brentford, it was pretty much all away games and led to most of the arrests/issues we experienced didn’t it (and hence the random collection/ID checks) ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports